none
Webpages I visit are not appearing in History in IE9

Question

• When using Internet Explorer 9, version 9.0.8112.16421, within the last few days, many of the webpages that I visit do not appear in my history or even register as being visited by having the link change colour.

I have not changed any of my settings since I installed IE9 a few weeks ago nor can I find any option in the settings that would account for this.

Do I need to go back to Internet Explore 8 to get a fully working history again or is there something that I've overlooked that is causing this?

Saturday, April 30, 2011 6:33 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Where did you find the history missing? The following factors could affect the history.

1. In Internet Option, General Tab, the option for Delete browsing history on exit was selected.

2. In Internet Option, General Tab ,You clicked Delete button to delete the Browsing History.

3. In Internet Option, General Tab, click Settings button besides Delete button, if the Temporary Internet files folder's size is full, the history won't be recorded. Also, it only records the latest days' history.  

4. You used the in-private browsing mode to visit the site.

Check if one of the above situation is true.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, May 03, 2011 10:08 AM
  • I have not changed any of my settings since I installed IE9 a few weeks ago nor can I find any option in the settings that would account for this.

What is your OS and level?   FWIW I had a problem with corrupt History after installing W7sp1 and had to regenerate it by deleting the whole folder using a Command only boot.   Others are reporting other strange symptoms with History that have required it to be regenerated too.   Note that in many cases just using the Clear History function may not be enough to repair a corrupt History folder.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, May 03, 2011 3:40 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

Where did you find the history missing? The following factors could affect the history.

1. In Internet Option, General Tab, the option for Delete browsing history on exit was selected.

2. In Internet Option, General Tab ,You clicked Delete button to delete the Browsing History.

3. In Internet Option, General Tab, click Settings button besides Delete button, if the Temporary Internet files folder's size is full, the history won't be recorded. Also, it only records the latest days' history.  

4. You used the in-private browsing mode to visit the site.

1.  No that wasn't checked.

2.  I did not hit the delete button for my browsing history.

3.  My settings are on 250 MB for temporary internet files and to keep pages of history for 21 days yet if I turn up the numbers, it doesn't correct the problem.

4. I have never used in-private browsing and unless it is possible to turn it on without having the blue box appear in the location bar, it wasn't turned on accidentally.

To be more specific, I visit a web page and the moment it finishes loading, I open up the history sorted by date and that page is not listed under 'today'.  If I visit multiple pages on one site and then check the history, I find that only about one in ten of the pages have been recorded.

My OS is Windows Vista and I never had anything like this happen while I used IE8 so I can only assume that the issue is with IE9 and need to know what is causing this and how to correct it.

To Robert Aldwinckle:  Is there a way to confirm if a history folder is corrupted?  The majority of my surfing is done by accessing pages in my history so I don't want to clear it without being sure.

Tuesday, May 03, 2011 7:53 PM
  • Is there a way to confirm if a history folder is corrupted?

Yes.   Open  shell:History  to capture its path.  Then drill down to its  History.IE5  and its  \Low\History.IE5.   Then do a  find  in each.

find  "Visited:"  index.dat

You have to do this in a cmd window because none of these implementation details are accessible to Windows Explorer.   However, you could use  Windows Explorer to  get a different view of your History--or test if your explorer.exe  would crash the way that mine did.   <eg>

One user recently observed that you don't need to have the  Low\History.IE5\index.dat  because its content is copied to the normal one...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie9-windows_7/why-does-some-history-entires-do-not-appear/79d3dedf-6671-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

but I think you would need to have full permissions in the Low directory in order to be able to add to it (e.g. read existing files, write to existing files, create new ones, create new subdirectories).

FYI

Robert
    ---

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 1:50 AM
    Answerer
  • Is there a way to confirm if a history folder is corrupted?

Yes.   Open  shell:History  to capture its path.  Then drill down to its  History.IE5  and its  \Low\History.IE5.   Then do a  find  in each.

find  "Visited:"  index.dat

You have to do this in a cmd window because none of these implementation details are accessible to Windows Explorer.   However, you could use  Windows Explorer to  get a different view of your History--or test if your explorer.exe  would crash the way that mine did.   <eg>

One user recently observed that you don't need to have the  Low\History.IE5\index.dat  because its content is copied to the normal one...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie9-windows_7/why-does-some-history-entires-do-not-appear/79d3dedf-6671-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

but I think you would need to have full permissions in the Low directory in order to be able to add to it (e.g. read existing files, write to existing files, create new ones, create new subdirectories).

FYI

Robert
    ---

That doesn't answer my question.

If I follow your instructions, some of which I don't completely understand, what would I have to see to confirm if the history is corrupted?

Like I said eariler, the majority of what I do online is visit pages that I have visisted before.  So instead of keeping 5 dozen bookmarks on file, I just click on one from my history.  Now if my history is corrupted and I need to clear/reset it, I'll do that but first I'll need to record all of the sites I visit regularly.  However, since the last time I did that was when I got a new computer and it took nearly an hour, I see that as the last thing to do.

So I ask again, if I follow your instructions, how will I be able to tell if this absentminded recording into the history is a result of a corrupted file or just a snafu in Microsoft's coding?

Thursday, May 05, 2011 6:00 AM
  • If I follow your instructions, some of which I don't completely understand, what would I have to see to confirm if the history is corrupted?  

No results (for example).
    Thursday, May 05, 2011 2:42 PM
    Answerer
  • The simplest and the most easiest solution that worked for me was re-installing IE9 . Any past history that was present prior to the issue occuring are available post installation as well .

Regards

Girija

Friday, July 15, 2011 5:07 AM
  • I suspect the issue is caused by security software such as CCleaner. Could disable them and perform clean boot to check the result.

Regards,

L.S

• Marked as answer by Niki HanModerator Thursday, July 28, 2011 2:23 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by MJMiller Thursday, July 28, 2011 8:48 AM
    Friday, July 15, 2011 9:21 AM
  • It's always annoying when someone like Robert Aldwinckle flexes his techno muscles and leaves us baffled searchers in Nanaland with little other than gibberish.  I too had the problem.  I tried Girija Acharya's "simplest and easiest" solution and the problem went away. 

But not without 3 hours of trying to recover Internet Explorer 9 after uninstalling it! 

IE9's uninstallation is easy and simple enough; it's the reinstallation that causes a great deal of unneccessry detours due to an abundance of unexpected problems: for example, a user needs to download a number of cummulative IE8 security patches, and fixes, before... etcetera yadayadayada..... 

Two hours later and six or seven failures to reinstall IE9, a user discovers that none of the Microsoft Knowledge Base articles on the internet describe any details about the many, popup, windows encountered during the various reinstallation attempts--that is, you are on your own and once again in Nanaland. 

During the third hour, you will probably become frustrated, and will begin trying various solutions while using IE8.  One of those may be the reference to just give up and to delete all your history while still in IE8.

So in the end, after three hours of futzing with this problem, I do not know if uninstall/reinstall, or if delete all my history, eventually worked.

However I finally seem to have recovered, because I now have IE9 back, but with 0 History since I dumped it just before I attempted my ninth or tenth reinstallation of IE9.

On a separate note....Robert Aldwinckle, sir, if you really want to help us, frustrated, inexperienced, and untechnical people, please talk to us, rather than talk DOWN upon us.

Thanks.

Toby Ornott 

• Edited by Toby Ornott Sunday, March 11, 2012 11:26 AM correct spelling
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 12:11 AM
  • Finally, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.  I've been having trouble with my drop down in address bar and the ONLY answer I've found in the internet were 1, 2, and 4.  None of those answers worked so I was stuck with no drop down address bar history.  In all my searching for months now, NO ONE ever mentioned that the Temporary Internet files folder size might be full - months ago I had changed it and did not know that is why my history only kept the current day!  YOU are a lifesaver because it was very irritating.  Thank you!
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 5:55 AM
  • I tried everything mentioned in this thread.  Nothing worked.  I found out though that something had set the "temporary Internet Files" folder to "Read only".  Once I removed that, things started working ok. 

Open windows explorer, find the "Temporary Internet Files" folder (it is hidden), right click, click properties, and check to ensure that "Read Only" is not checked.

Friday, November 22, 2013 8:14 AM