none
IE10 "An error occurred" in Youtube (but on Google Chrome and Mozilla Fox having no sound but able to play video) RRS feed

• Question

• "An error occurred" kept on appearing on Youtube (while using IE10) for all the videos that I tried so far and I also realized that in the advertisement before the video it would keep replaying the advert from the start on its own until the advert crashed and also showed "an error occurred".

When going to Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox to play the same videos, I was able to play the advertisement and the videos but this time there was no sound at all.

My problem occurred after a Windows 8 update as before that IE was able to play without any problems. Thus I highly suspect that an Windows 8 Update is responsible for this. 

I also noticed my mute button on my keyboard having no effect after the Windows update, even though I was able to see the slider for the volume control changing (when pressing the volume increase and decrease button).

Before the update I was able to see the mute button light up with the mute icon shown on the screen, compared to after the update with the mute button basically went dead without the ability to on and toggle the sound at all.

It seems this inability to adjust and toggle the sound affects not only Youtube, but also soundcloud, vimeo (in essence it affects the sound across the board for all applications).

The sound comes back occasionally after my computer starts up again from sleep, hibernation mode, after shutting down and switching on the laptop again so its intermittent on and off.

My Internet Explorer version is IE 10, my Google Chrome version is Version 36.0.1985.125 m and my Firefox version is 30.0.

PS: Attached are the screenshots showing what was downloaded during the recent Windows Update on 20 July 14 (20 July 2014).

• Edited by LoneWolfX Saturday, August 16, 2014 3:02 PM
    Saturday, August 16, 2014 2:48 PM

Answers

• Hi,

We may take a try to add the site into compatibility view list and then recheck this issue in Internet Explorer 10:

See if  the Compatibility View button Compatibility View buttonappears in the Address bar. (If you don't see the button, there's no need to turn on Compatibility View.) And if it exists,Tap or click the Compatibility View button Compatibility View button   to display the site in Compatibility View.

If it does not solve the issue, we might also try the following steps:

1. Check to see if any newly updates available;

2. Reset Internet Explorer;

3. Turn off add-ons.

Detailed information, please check into the below article:

Why won't videos play in Internet Explorer?

In addition, for the sound issue, please check to see if we need to update the sound card drivers.

For more information, please see:

No sound in Windows

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, August 18, 2014 11:03 AM

All replies