none
Windows 10 1511 Clients Pc Show Offline In Server 2012 R2 Essentials Dashboard But Are Connected To The Domain RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Since I have upgraded the Windows 10 clients to version 1511 the Essentials 2012 R2 dashboard shows offline but they are connected to the domain and work fine (but no Essentials Client backup since one month).

I have reinstalled and reconfigured the Essentials connector for Windows 10 KB2790621 but same problem occurs.

Can somebody help me ?

Many thanks in advance.

Bruno.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 10:10 AM

Answers

• I contacted the technical support of Microsoft and he gave me the solution.

By executing the following commands on the Server 2012 R2 Essentials has fixed my problem :

netsh advfirewall set allprofile state off

Add-WssLocalMachineCert

• Marked as answer by ZAZZERA Bruno Wednesday, February 17, 2016 1:37 PM
    Wednesday, February 17, 2016 1:34 PM

All replies

• Hi:

It turns out the current updates to Windows 10, including 1511, break the communication between Essentials and the PC.  Re-run the launcher from the client pc and let us know the result.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2016/01/22/windows-10-feature-upgrade-breaks-client-connector-for-window-server-2012-r2-essentials-windows-server-2012-essentials-and-windows-small-business-server-2011-essentials.aspx

The dev teams are working on a fix for this, but it will continue to happen with each update to Windows versions until they get it sorted.  Unpleasant and unfortunate, but I am confident it will be resolved.

Larry Struckmeyer [MVP]-- --If your question is answered please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 11:54 AM
  • Thank you Larry for your answer.

I have already re-rerun the launcher and reconnected different client PC to the Essentials Server but the same problem occurs (always offline in the Dashboard).

All my Windows 10 Pro 1511 and Windows 8.1 clients are offline .

Only one Windows 7 SP1 client is online.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 1:16 PM
  • Sorry, I missed that you had re-connected the clients. If you search this forum there are many such cases and a few that have been resolved but with different means. I suggest you run the trouble-shooter found here:

http://windowsserveressentials.com/2014/02/14/windows-server-essentialsconfiguration-troubleshooter/

and if you see anything either take action or let us know the results.

Larry Struckmeyer [MVP]-- --If your question is answered please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 3:05 PM
  • Please find the results of the EssentialTester :

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Essentials Server Configuration Tester *

OS Detected: Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials

This tool will check your current Configuration against known Essentials Server Values.
    Written by Robert Pearman (TitleRequired.com) October 2015

Version Info: Version: 2.03

1. Test IIS
    2. Test CA Infrastructure
    3. Test Services
    4. Test Service Ports
    0. Quit

Enter Task..
    Testing CA Name..
    Certificate Authority Online  : OK
    Certificate Authority Name    : OK
    Certificate Authority Cert    : Errors Detected - Local Machine Store

Testing /Connect Certificate Package..
    Connect Computer Certificate  : OK

Testing CRL Download..
    CRL Location                  : http://SERVEUR2012/CertEnroll/newnet-SERVEUR2012-CA.crl
    CRL Destination               : c:\windows\temp\crl.crl
    CRL Download                  : OK

Testing CRL Distribution Configuration..
    437.625.0:<2016/1/26, 17:30:10>: 0x80070002 (WIN32: 2 ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND): CADescription
    437.625.0:<2016/1/26, 17:30:10>: 0x80070002 (WIN32: 2 ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND): ParentCAName

It is normal to see some 'File Not Found' messages above when using this CmdLet (Get-CACrlDistributionPoint)

CRL Extension (CDP)           : OK
    CRL Extension (CRL)           : OK

Testing Dashboard Certificate..
    Dashboard Certificate         : OK

Review your results, items in red should be investigated.

This tool will check your current Configuration against known Essentials Server Values.

1. Test IIS
    3. Test Services
    4. Test Service Ports
    0. Quit

Enter Task..
    Testing Services on:  SERVEUR2012

Active Directory Certificate Services : Running Auto
    WSS Computer Backup Service           : Running Auto
    WSS Email Service                     : Stopped Disabled
    WSS Health Service                    : Running Auto
    WSS Management Service                : Running Auto
    WSS Media Streaming Service           : Running Auto
    WSS Notification Service              : Running Auto
    WSS Provider Registry Service         : Running Auto
    WSS Storage Service                   : Running Auto

1. Test IIS
    3. Test Services
    4. Test Service Ports
    0. Quit

Enter Task..
    Testing Service Ports on :  SERVEUR2012

TCP 80 (Used for Websites)       : OK
    TCP 443 (Used for Websites)      : OK
    TCP 6602 (Used for Status)       : OK
    TCP 8912 (Used for Backups)      : OK
    TCP 65520 (Used for Mac Website) : OK
    TCP 65500 (Used for CA Website)  : OK

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only error message I can see is : Certificate Authority Cert    : Errors Detected - Local Machine Store

Do you know how to fix this error ? Sorry but I found nothing in Google.

Many thanks in advance.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 5:23 PM
  • Hi,

>I have reinstalled and reconfigured the Essentials connector for Windows 10 KB2790621 but same problem occurs.
    I want to confirm with you about the details about remove and reconnect client to Essentials server:
    1. Uninstall the Connector software from the computer using the Control Panel.
    2. Unjoin the computer from the Essentials domain and join it to the workgroup.
    3. Remove the computer from the server using the Dashboard.
    4. Reconnect to client to Essentials via Connect Computer Wizard. 

Besides, disable any 3rd party process, including anti-virus program, then restart the server(clean boot with msconfig) to check the result. 

Check DNS for the Host A record. Ensure the machine is properly updating DNS with their IP address.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 6:50 AM
  • Hi Eve,

OK I have followed your procedure to uninstall and reconfigure the Essential Connector :

1. Uninstall the Connector software from the computer using the Control Panel.

There is nothing in the Control Panel - Programs and Features about Essentials Connector. To uninstall I used the following commands :

• in CMD : wmic qfe list brief or systeminfo
    • in CMD : wusa /uninstall /kb:2790621

2. Unjoin the computer from the Essentials domain and join it to the workgroup.

OK done.

3. Remove the computer from the server using the Dashboard.

OK done.

4. Reconnect to client to Essentials via Connect Computer Wizard. 

Now an error occurs during the wizard :

"Cannot connect this computer to the network. This computer is unable to establish a trust relationship with the server. Verify that the computer’s date and time are accurate and try again."

I am sure the date and time are accurate and the detailed error in the server 2012 R2 Essentials:

"EventID 53 : Active Directory Certificate Services denied request 98 because The permissions on the certificate template do not allow the current user to enroll for this type of certificate. 0x80094012 (-2146877422 CERTSRV_E_TEMPLATE_DENIED).  The request was for CN=WKS2.  Additional information: Denied by Policy Module"

I suspect that something is wrong with the server certificates but I don't know which one and what I have to do. It is not very clear for me.

Please waiting your suggestion and recommendation.

Best Regards,

Bruno.

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 2:34 PM
  • In fact I have two certificates in the Certification Authority and that could be the problem :

How can I remove Certificate #1 ?

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 5:36 PM
  • I have followed the procedure above and the "TRUST RELATIONSHIP" error has disappeared but I still have EVENTID 53 in the Essentials Server 2012 R2 when trying to connect the clients PC with the Essential Connector :

1. On the WHS, launch Certification Authority from the Administrative Tools menu
    2. Right-click on the <Server>-CA node and select Properties.
    3. In the Certificates tab of the Properties window, you should see at least two certificates, numbered sequentially.  Double-click the newest certificate.
    4. In the Certificate window, select the Details tab, and click the Copy to File button
    5. Step through the certificate export wizard, choosing any of the first three formats (I used the PKCS #7 format, and selected to include all certificates in the certification path).
    6. Save the file to a location that is accessible to the client you're trying to connect (or a USB drive).
    7. On the client machine giving trust issues, open the certificate management console for the local computer by performing the following:
    8. From a Run line, enter mmc.exe
    9. In the empty console, go to File -> Add/Remove Snap-in
    10. Double-click Certificates
    11. Select Computer Account and click Next
    12. Choose Local Computer, and click Finish
    13. Find the Trust Root Certificates node, and expand Certificates
    14. From the Action menu, Choose All Tasks -> Import
    15. Ensure that the Store Location is Local Machine, and click Next
    16. Browse to the file you exported earlier, click Next
    17. Finish the wizard, and ensure that the new certificate appears in the certificate store
    18. Re-run the Connector software.  It should now run successfully.

Thursday, January 28, 2016 11:04 AM
  • to uninstall the connector find it in installed windows updates

Grey

Thursday, January 28, 2016 1:43 PM
  • I know ! See my posts before :

• in CMD : wmic qfe list brief or systeminfo
    • in CMD : wusa /uninstall /kb:2790621

Thursday, January 28, 2016 2:06 PM
  • By modying the Security permissions of the Certificate Templates to the Authenticated Users (Read & Enroll) the Event ID 53 has disappeared but the clients PC are still offline in the Dashboard even after reinstalling properly the Essentials Connector.

Could anybody help me more on this issue ?

Thursday, January 28, 2016 4:23 PM
  • Any update or help ?
    Monday, February 1, 2016 2:48 PM
  • I contacted the technical support of Microsoft and he gave me the solution.

By executing the following commands on the Server 2012 R2 Essentials has fixed my problem :

Add-WssLocalMachineCert

• Marked as answer by ZAZZERA Bruno Wednesday, February 17, 2016 1:37 PM
    Wednesday, February 17, 2016 1:34 PM
  • This did not help in my case.  Any ETA on the fix mentioned above?
    Friday, February 26, 2016 1:59 AM
  • Any ETA on the fix you mention?  The fixes below do not work.
    Wednesday, March 30, 2016 11:25 PM
  • This worked for me but note that this also DISABLES your firewall. So you want to run the last line too to turn if back on (turning it back on didn't cause a problem).

Add-WssLocalMachineCert

netsh advfirewall set allprofile state on
    In fact, I don't even know if you even need to turn off the firewall... just
    Add-WssLocalMachineCert
    may be sufficient?
    • Edited by S314 Sunday, May 8, 2016 11:10 PM
    Sunday, May 8, 2016 5:24 PM
  • My Windows 10 client is at version 1903. It is the production version, not the preview. When I try to start a backup of this client from the WSE Dashboard, I get the message "Cannot complete this task because the computer is either offline or it is not connected to the network". The Dashboard Devices tab shows the computer Update Status and Security Status as Not Available. Since I am able to open the Dashboard on the computer, it is obviously online and connected to the my WSE 2012 R2 Server (Servbert1). Also, I can access all my data files on the Server, which also verifies that it is connected to Servbert1. Everything worked fine until I installed Feature Update v1903 yesterday.

Per a post I saw earlier, I tried the following commands in an Admin Command Prompt window:

Add-WssLocalMachineCert

The first command was completed, the second was not recognized.

From the Dashboard, I am able to open Client Computer Backup Tasks and edit settings, so it must recognize the computer, and that it can be backed up.

Any suggestions on how to get to where I can back up this computer?

-----------------

After talking to Microsoft Support, I reverted to a previous version of Windows 10 (v1809). Now everything is working again. The Microsoft Support person said the next good update should be v1909.

• Edited by RetiredMark Saturday, July 20, 2019 2:09 PM
    Thursday, July 18, 2019 4:13 AM