none
IE 9

Question

• EVerytime I open IE 9, It creates multiple processes on the task manager list, and I have noticed that my desktop becomes inactive(I cannot click on ANYTHING on the desktop) I was wondering if anybody out there could help me with this. I run Vista 32 bit home premium edition on a Sony VAIO laptop. If more information is needed I would be happy to oblige!
    Wednesday, May 09, 2012 8:49 PM

Answers

All replies

• What are the processes listed as?  Have you tried running IE with in safe mode with no add-ons?

_______
    Joy
    Queen Ice Weasel

Disclaimer: This message may contain information that is confidential, privileged, or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is not authorized (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social fauxpas. No animals were harmed in the transmission of this message.

Thursday, May 10, 2012 2:28 AM
  • See: "How to Reset Internet Explorer settings".

If the issue persists...

1. Please download and run the Microsoft Safety Scanner tool (freeware).
    2. Reboot your PC.
    3. Please download and update Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free
    4. Reboot Windows in Safe Mode and run a Full Scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
    5. Reboot and Test.

Best of Luck,

Vincenzo Di Russo
    Microsoft® MVP Windows Internet Explorer, Windows & Security Expert - since 2003.
    Moderator in the Microsoft Answers and TechNet Forums
    My MVP Profile: https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Vincenzo

Thursday, May 10, 2012 5:29 AM
  • Hey Vincenzo! Thanks for the advice. I ran the Microsoft Safety Scanner and then rebooted in safe mode to run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free and found that everything was fine, no viruses. However, I am still encountering the problem with IE. This morning in fact the application had opened up 8 different instances of "iexplore.exe" on my task manager, 2 of which were running with over 200,000K of memory which had my CPU running at nearly 100%. The funny thing is I only had one window open in IE. My desktop also became inactive again. Not sure what is going on here, maybe you know a few other tricks I could try to resolve this stubborn issue?? Oh also as soon as I close all instances of "iexplore.exe" from the task manager, my desktop becomes active again. Not sure if that will help but that's how I narrowed it down to an IE problem.
    Friday, May 11, 2012 8:09 PM
  • 1. Please remove and reinstall Internet Explorer 9.
    See: "How do I install or uninstall Internet Explorer 9?".

To uninstall Internet Explorer 9

The following instructions apply to both Windows 7 and Windows Vista.

1. Click the Start button, type Programs and Features in the search box, and then click View installed updates in the left pane.

2. Under Uninstall an update, scroll down to the Microsoft Windows section.

3. Right-click Windows Internet Explorer 9, click Uninstall, and then, when prompted, click Yes.

4. Click one of the following:

Restart now (to finish the process of uninstalling Internet Explorer 9, and restore the previous version of Internet Explorer).

Restart later (to wait until you shut down or restart your computer).

Note
    After you uninstall Internet Explorer 9, the previously installed version of Internet Explorer will be available on your computer. It is not necessary to reinstall.

2. Then Reset IE8 Settings.
    See: "How to Reset Internet Explorer settings".

3. Download Windows Internet Explorer 9.

4. Temporarily disable antispyware and antivirus software, then reinstall Internet Explorer 9.
    See: "How do I install or uninstall Internet Explorer 9?".

Good luck,

Vincenzo Di Russo
    Microsoft® MVP Windows Internet Explorer, Windows & Security Expert - since 2003.

• Marked as answer by CHEWY700 Saturday, May 12, 2012 8:26 AM
    Saturday, May 12, 2012 4:10 AM
  • you da man Vincenzo!! Thank you so much, everything is working great now!
    Saturday, May 12, 2012 8:26 AM
  • you da man Vincenzo!! Thank you so much, everything is working great now!
    Excellent.
    You're welcome. Glad to help and thank you very much for your feedback.

Regards,

Vincenzo Di Russo

Saturday, May 12, 2012 8:38 AM
  • Chewy-just wanted to check with you that IE9 is still behaving.  I had same problem and uninstalled and I am still running IE8 that does not give me freezing and other problems that IE9 did.

Thanks,

Robert

Thursday, January 03, 2013 3:58 PM