none
Windows 2019 RDS Farm - Window Shadows RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am in the process of building a new 2019 RDS farm to replace an aging 2008R2 one. I am at the point where i am ready for the UAT however i am having problems making a change apply to all users. 

The problem is that the visual effects are set to not 'Show shadows under windows' which is making it almost impossible to see where one windows ends and another begins. I know this will be a problem in the UAT as the users have made similar complaints when first using the current farm.

I can switch the shadows back on fine for my user, however i cant seem to find anywhere to set this for all users across the system. The last thing i want to do is have to enable this setting for each user (~300 users) on their first login.

Is anyone aware of a group policy which can be applied to have this option set as default? I have read multiple articles online, but they are all geared towards Windows 7.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks 

Niall

Monday, June 24, 2019 12:51 PM

Answers

• For our 2019 RDS Session Host servers, we had this same issue with the windows blending together and we found that you can turn on a border around the window to help with this.  This option isn't available as a specific GPO setting (as far as I know), but it can be done through a registry entry.  Here is the PowerShell script we use in our deployment to set this registry entry in a GPO:

Set-GPRegistryValue -Name $gpname -Key "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\DWM" -ValueName "ColorPrevalence" -Type DWORD -Value 1

Monday, June 24, 2019 8:23 PM

All replies

• You will reach more RDS experts by asking your question in the RDS dedicated forum located at https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=winserverTS.

tim

Monday, June 24, 2019 1:26 PM
  • Hi Niall,

You may find this article useful, let me know if it helps.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6377-change-visual-effects-settings-windows-10-a.html

Monday, June 24, 2019 2:35 PM
  • For our 2019 RDS Session Host servers, we had this same issue with the windows blending together and we found that you can turn on a border around the window to help with this.  This option isn't available as a specific GPO setting (as far as I know), but it can be done through a registry entry.  Here is the PowerShell script we use in our deployment to set this registry entry in a GPO:

Set-GPRegistryValue -Name $gpname -Key "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\DWM" -ValueName "ColorPrevalence" -Type DWORD -Value 1

Monday, June 24, 2019 8:23 PM
  • hi,
    can you enter winver in command prompt on w2019 and look the os version and os version number ?[for example windows 10  enterprise 1809 (os build 17763.316)]
    2 do you mean there is no "
    shadows under windows" although you select" Show shadows under windows" like picture ?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 6:32 AM
  • Thanks for this Keith, this sorted out our problem 

Thanks again 

Thursday, June 27, 2019 9:30 AM
  • I am glad to hear that your issue is solved.

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 28, 2019 9:57 AM