none
System Center 2016 test lab setup RRS feed

• Question

• I'm new to SCCM and in the process in setting up a test box for System Center Configuration Manager 2016 on a Windows Server 2016. My understanding is that I need to do the following:

Install SQL Server
    Install Widows ADK
    Create System Center Schema
    Install IIS Role
    Install WSUS
    Install SCCM 2016

For the following, do I need to:

Install SQL Server - From my research, SQL server is installed on the same server as SCCM. We have a dedicated SQL servers for our Test and Prod env. From the install example searches I've found, I can specify external SQL database. Can I have SCCM installer create and configure the database instance?

Install Windows ADK - We're basically using SCCM for deploying application packages, non Windows OS. Also, for deploying Windows Security Update packages to Windows Servers OS only (No Windows OS desktops). Do I still need to install Windows ADK? Or, is ADK required for installing SCCM and deploying not only OS but application packages as well?

Create System Center Schema - I'm assuming I need to create one for the test lab.

Install WSUS - We're currently running a dedicated WSUS Server 2012. Can I configure SCCM 2016 and use our WSUS server for deploying updates? Or, will it be easier to install both SCCM and WSUS on the same server?

Install SCCM 2016 - Is this the latest supported version I can install on a Windows Server 2016?

Thanks in Advance

Friday, July 12, 2019 9:50 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Install SQL Server - From my research, SQL server is installed on the same server as SCCM. We have a dedicated SQL servers for our Test and Prod env. From the install example searches I've found, I can specify external SQL database. Can I have SCCM installer create and configure the database instance? Yes, you can specify a external SQL server, you must enable the ports needed between your SCCM and SQL servers. When you launch the installation of SCCM, its created and configured her own database.

Install Windows ADK - We're basically using SCCM for deploying application packages, non Windows OS. Also, for deploying Windows Security Update packages to Windows Servers OS only (No Windows OS desktops). Do I still need to install Windows ADK? Or, is ADK required for installing SCCM and deploying not only OS but application packages as well? It's recommanded to install the ADKsetup related to the version of your Windows clients.

Create System Center Schema - I'm assuming I need to create one for the test lab. It's not necessary but it's recommended too, to create a System Management container and give the SCCM account machine account full privileges on this container.

Install WSUS - We're currently running a dedicated WSUS Server 2012. Can I configure SCCM 2016 and use our WSUS server for deploying updates? Or, will it be easier to install both SCCM and WSUS on the same server? You can use an existing WSUS Server.

Install SCCM 2016 - Is this the latest supported version I can install on a Windows Server 2016? No, the latest version of SCCM CB is 1902, you can install it on Windows Server 2016, it's a supported OS.

Refer to this guide to install SCCM 1902 step by step: https://www.prajwaldesai.com/sccm-1902-install-guide-using-baseline-media/

Regards,

SAAD Youssef

_______

Please remember to mark the replies as answer if they help, thank you!

• Proposed as answer by SAAD Youssef Friday, July 12, 2019 10:48 PM
    Friday, July 12, 2019 10:46 PM
  • Thanks, SAAD Youssef.

Is there an advantage of having WSUS installed on the same server vs having it external? Are there any changes between WSUS installed on Server 2012 R2 vs Windows Server 2016?  I know that the PowerShell cmdlets are a few more on the 2016. Are there any other difference? Any changes in the GUI on SCCM 2012 vs 2016 and on WSUS GUI between 2012 R2 and 2016?

You mentioned that creating a System Management container is not necessary, what's the pro's and con's with having one and not having one? If I do create a System Management container and give the computer account full rights, can it handle the lab environment along with a production environment? My goal is to have both lab and production.
    • Edited by kody_reef Thursday, July 18, 2019 9:49 PM
    Thursday, July 18, 2019 6:15 PM