none
messy scavenging issue in DNS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I walked into a new job a couple months ago and inherited a bit of a mess.  The company moved here last year from another state.  As a result of the transition and employee turnover of people who didn't make the move (none of the IT department did) I have some cleanup to do without a lot of prior historical knowledge.

One of the things I'm looking at is the forward and reverse lookup zones.  Neither is functioning properly.  Scavenging seems to be set correctly, but it is not working (these are NOT static entries).  I have a number of entries in both the forward and reverse lookup zones that are months and even years old.  Rather than manually delete them, I'd like to get scavenging working.  I know the basic theory, but I'm not an expert.

One kink in this is that DHCP used to be handled by a Windows server (I think), but it is now handled by our Meraki switches.  Would that have an impact?  Can I still make scavenging work?  Scavenging is turned on and aging is set to 7 days all around.  Dynamic updates is "Secure only" for most zones, though there is one Forward zone that is set to "Nonsecure and secure".  It doesn't seem to make a difference as both have years-old entries.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Zack

Tuesday, May 28, 2019 3:17 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Zack,

Thank you for posting in this forum.

Here's a good article about aging/scavenging.

How DNS Aging and Scavenging Works

I would suggest that you refer to the article to reconfigure your aging/scavenging function to see if it helps.

Best Regards,

Leon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 29, 2019 6:06 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. 
    Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Leon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 31, 2019 8:26 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved? 

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,
    Leon

Thursday, June 6, 2019 2:13 AM
  • Hello Leon,

Sorry for the delay, but I was waiting the "7 + 7" days.  I just checked and the pointers in that article seem to have done the trick, so I will mark it as answer.

Thanks,

Zack

Monday, June 10, 2019 5:27 PM
  • Hello Zack,

Thank you for your update.

I am pleased to know that the information is helpful to you.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,

Leon

Tuesday, June 11, 2019 1:13 AM