none
Restore sessions in Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Since Windows 10 (I believe) Internet Explorer 11 don't seem to allow the last session to be restored after a manual reboot of the system. If Windows Update is the trigger though, then all the tabs from last session are neatly restored when the computer has been restarted... How come?

Thursday, August 17, 2017 6:54 PM

All replies

• Since Windows 10 (I believe) Internet Explorer 11 don't seem to allow the last session to be restored after a manual reboot of the system. If Windows Update is the trigger though, then all the tabs from last session are neatly restored when the computer has been restarted... How come?

Just to clarify... When IE is open (with one or several tabs) and the computer is restarted the session is not restored after logging in to the system. Also, "Open last browsing session" under the Tools menu is grayed out. This is not the case when the system is rebooted by Windows Update.

Friday, August 18, 2017 10:59 AM
  • Tools>Internet Options>General tab, check "start with tabs from last session". (Takes affect after restarting the computer).

Regards.

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Rob^_^

Friday, August 18, 2017 11:25 PM
  • That setting is already active (and if it wasn't I believe that sessions wouldn't be restored after a Windows Update reboot either).

However, the setting is grayed out. Probably because the computers are domain joined. Could there be a GPO controlling this?

It's still strange though, since the sessions are handled differently depending on how the system was rebooted...

Saturday, August 19, 2017 5:50 AM
  • Some IE security updates do make changes to the registry.

If an IE setting is greyed out then it must have been configured with Group Policy. winkey+r>gpedit.msc

Usually on domain networks your user profile and policy settings are managed by your system administrators...in the first instance you should contact your company help desk or system administrators for help with your profile settings.

To examine which registry keys are written to or read during a process startup use a tool like procmon.exe.

You should also troubleshoot by testing running IE in no-Addons mode, to rule out third-party addons.

If the issue does not occur on other computers in your domain the cause is likely to be browser addons that you have installed.

Regards.

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Rob^_^

Saturday, August 19, 2017 9:50 PM
  • I actually am one of the system administrators, but I can't recall that such a policy is set in GPMC. I may be wrong though, but what should I look for if that's the case (we're running Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials)?

Concerning no-addons... Is it really possible to keep this mode after a system reboot?

• Edited by lensv Sunday, August 20, 2017 11:01 AM
    Sunday, August 20, 2017 11:00 AM
  • Just to clarify... When IE is open (with one or several tabs) and the computer is restarted the session is not restored after logging in to the system. 

If you want that to happen you should either close IE first or (somehow) cause it to crash.  I think it makes sense that just rebooting would not allow you to get any useful effect from the Last session feature.  Don't do that.  This is not new.  It was happening at least in W8 if not also in W7.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, August 20, 2017 5:25 PM
    Answerer
  • If you want that to happen you should either close IE first or (somehow) cause it to crash.  I think it makes sense that just rebooting would not allow you to get any useful effect from the Last session feature.  Don't do that.  This is not new.  It was happening at least in W8 if not also in W7.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

I don't know about Windows 8, but in Windows 7 this was definitely not happening. It works as expected in Edge and in other browsers, so why wouldn't it work in IE (anymore)?

Btw. It don't seem to be possible to manually close more than one IE window at a time (no go on sessions with several windows and tabs). Killing the process works though, but why would we have to do that?

Sunday, August 20, 2017 6:04 PM
  • Killing the process works though, but why would we have to do that?

That's probably an example of a crash.  What does it look like when it restarts?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, August 21, 2017 3:14 AM
    Answerer
  • Killing the process works though, but why would we have to do that?

That's probably an example of a crash.  What does it look like when it restarts?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

It works as expected (session restored), but that's not really an acceptable solution.

Monday, August 21, 2017 5:53 AM
  •  an example of a crash.  What does it look like when it restarts?

I need to clarify the question with its intent.  The Last session UI allows us to not see the last tabs until we ask for them via the Tools menu.  A crash gives us the tabs without any chance to do that and also perversely often leaves the Last session mechanism no longer working.  I don't know that the latter is a consequence of the former but I think avoiding crashes seems to extend the life of the Last session feature.  So, another good reason not to do that.   ; )

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, August 21, 2017 11:12 AM
    Answerer

• So, another good reason not to do that.   ; )

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

What may the solution be then?

Monday, August 21, 2017 12:02 PM
  • What may the solution be then?

There would be no "solution" to trying to use it in a way in which it was not designed to work.  Just don't do it.

BTW others claim that it doesn't even work reliably if they do manage to avoid this case, but of course are unable to provide a "repro".  If there was a repro for a supported case then we might get lucky and find that the unsupported case magically got "fixed" too.

Heh.  I thought that currently I was in the broken state, e.g. Reopen last browsing session greyed out, but I just checked again and there it is, apparently available again.  I'm not sure how, all I did was a few Ctrl-N while testing for a reply to another incident.  Then who knows, maybe Ctrl-N will be a new workaround.  Oh, just remembered I also had to toggle out of Tablet mode because in that mode normal mode windows aren't available (apparently).  More "caves" being mapped...

Windows 10.  Still an Adventure ("Twisty passages, all different.")

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, August 21, 2017 6:09 PM
    Answerer
  • OK, does anyone actually know how this is supposed to work? I find it hard to believe that IE really shouldn't be able to handle auto-restoring sessions after a system reboot. Espessially when it used to work earlier (at least in Windows 7) and when most other browsers handles this without issues.

Monday, August 21, 2017 6:48 PM
  • hard to believe that IE really shouldn't be able to handle auto-restoring sessions after a system reboot.

https://connect.microsoft.com/IE/feedback/details/809619/ie-11-will-not-reopen-last-session-tabs

Essentially says:  Fixed in Edge.  I'm not sure if that is true.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, August 21, 2017 7:42 PM
    Answerer
  • If above is true, then a major question remains... How come a system reboot trigged by Windows Updade restores the IE sessions the way we want it to? What's it doing differently?

• Edited by lensv Tuesday, August 22, 2017 6:21 AM
    Tuesday, August 22, 2017 5:51 AM
  • How come a system reboot trigged by Windows Update restores the IE sessions the way we want it to? What's it doing differently?

It actively tries to keep stuff and then somehow tries to get it going again after the automatic Restart.  If you are just doing a manual Restart without any preparation or attention to what is already running you wipe it out.  I think there was once an option in an earlier OS which gave us this functionality for all Shut downs (I'm less sure about Restarts.) but for some reason it got dropped.  Obviously it would be extremely difficult to support it for all cases--like allowing us to keep using Hibernate in spite of the fact that the modules being used might have been changed.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, August 22, 2017 6:26 PM
    Answerer
  • I really don't think that it would be very difficult to support this. IE has done it before and most other browsers still do. I would not be surprised if Microsoft is doing this on purpose, in anticipation to make us start using Edge instead (which is an even more crappy web browser) :(

Tuesday, August 22, 2017 7:07 PM