none
Update Visio flowchart from filtered excel sheet RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Visio office 365 and have created a linked flowchart (cross functional) and spreadsheet. If I change data on the spreadsheet and refresh the Visio diagram all works fine.

However when I filter my spreadsheet results eg just to show one swim lane or just projects after a certain date, Visio does not update to show just this. Do I have to create a new diagram each time with a new table for the filtered results? Or is there a way around?

Thanks in advance

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 11:52 AM

Answers

• Hi Matt,

As far as I know, Cross-Functional Flowchart Process Map is based on a table or a custom range in your Excel workbook. You need to select the table containing your Excel process data.

As we all know, we can use filters to temporarily hide some of the data in a table, so you can focus on the data you want to see in Excel. The filters do not remove data from the Sheet, just hides some of the data according to the rules you set. Even if you use the filters to change the display, the hidden data in Table or Range is still there.

So, if there is no any change in your source table, you won't see your Cross-Functional Flowchart Process Map updated using the filtered results.

In addition, I don't find there is any effective way as workaround to solve this problem. To learn more about Data Visualizer diagram, read Create a Data Visualizer diagram and Data Visualizer frequently asked questions.

Hope the information was helpful. If you have any updates, feel free to post back to tell us.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 7:16 AM

All replies

• Hi Matt,

As far as I know, Cross-Functional Flowchart Process Map is based on a table or a custom range in your Excel workbook. You need to select the table containing your Excel process data.

As we all know, we can use filters to temporarily hide some of the data in a table, so you can focus on the data you want to see in Excel. The filters do not remove data from the Sheet, just hides some of the data according to the rules you set. Even if you use the filters to change the display, the hidden data in Table or Range is still there.

So, if there is no any change in your source table, you won't see your Cross-Functional Flowchart Process Map updated using the filtered results.

In addition, I don't find there is any effective way as workaround to solve this problem. To learn more about Data Visualizer diagram, read Create a Data Visualizer diagram and Data Visualizer frequently asked questions.

Hope the information was helpful. If you have any updates, feel free to post back to tell us.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 7:16 AM
  • Thanks Herb,

Thats a shame - could be a handy feature!

Thanks again for your help,

Regards,

Matt

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 9:25 AM