none
No Remote Desktop License Server is Available RRS feed

• Question

• Hi RDS Expert,

Thanks for your time.

I have summarized the issues below – hope you can help me.

Hard Ware: IBM 3500 M4 128 System Memory - RAID 10

OS software all on same box:

Host is: 2012 r2

VM1 name is:    SQL1 ( running 2008 r2) - IP -192.168.1.131 (this box also has AD on it!)

VM2 name is:    T1 (Terminal server-RDS) ( running (2008 r2 ) – 192.168.1.132

VM3 name is:    T2 (Terminal server-RDS)  (running 2012 r2) – 192.168.1.133 – In-place upgrade

VM4 name is:    B2B  ( running (2008 r2 ) – 192.168.1.134

VM5 name is:    API  (running 2012 r2) – 192.168.1.135 – In-place upgrade

I have started  in-place conversion from 2008 r2 > 2012 r2. I have converted two over successfully.

VM1 has two domain controllers SQL1 and T1, It has SQL2012 and AD on the same VM

The server VM2 (T2) is the bringing up the message above, it is an in-place upgrade from 2008 > 2012.

I'm running out time I have procrastinated long enough. 11 days left

This is a production environment so need your help to get this straight.

The system is several years old and never had any major problems before I started this in-place upgrade.

This system was built by someone else so I will need some help to get to the right place to make any changes.

I was informed that’s the reason I’m getting the message so I purchased 50 RDS & 50 CALs.

The RDS licenses should go on your license server but where would that be exactly?

I first tried to install all 50 RDS on the AD server – did not help.

It said successful

Please help me please.

Any input will be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Hedge

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 2:36 PM

Answers

• Jenny,

I tried to add the license.

In Remote Desktop Licensing Manager.

As you can see it's in there now 3 times - still gets the message now 7 days left - There must be something else wrong.....

Thank you,

Jim

Jim Hedge

• Marked as answer by jhedge Monday, August 26, 2019 2:25 AM
    Sunday, August 25, 2019 1:59 PM
  • Hi Jim,

Thanks for the screenshots. It seemed you have successfully installed RDS CALs (per User)x 50 (2012) ON T2 server.

What we can saw from your screenshots:

1. SQL 1 server has 2008 CAL (25+50) -----> Licensing role installed.

2. TS 2 server has 2008 CAL (25), 2012 CAL ( 50+ 50+ 25) ------> Licensing role installed.

Next steps:

1. Since TS 2 has already upgraded to 2012  R2 and has 2012 Cals installed.

Assuming TS 2 has RD session host role installed as well ( RD session host is server that users remote to).

Please followed steps provided by TP to enable licensing mode on TS2 and also point licensing server TS2 on TS2.

After updating group policy, test remote connection to TS2 with a user account and then check CAL usage on licensing server manager on TS2.

Note: 2008 CAL are used for users when remoting to RD session host (2008) while 2012 CAL are used for users when remoting to RD session host 2012. So when specifying licensing servers, you should consider the version of RD session host as well.

2. To successfully upgrade servers from 2008 to 2012, it is suggested to figure out the RDS roles installed on each Servers.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/patricka/2008/03/05/detecting-what-server-roles-are-installed-on-windows-server-2008/

Please test Step 1 first and let me know the result.

Thanks,

Jenny

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by jhedge Monday, August 26, 2019 2:30 AM
    Monday, August 26, 2019 2:26 AM
  • Hi Jim,

>>enable licensing mode on TS2 and also point licensing server TS2 on TS2.

So the licensing server address should be 192.168.1.133. Reconfigure it on TS2 and test again.

BTW the error message showed that the licensing mode set on TS2 was Per Device. Do you installed Per Device CAL as well? If not change Device Mode to Per User.

You could reach global contact for more assistance needed.

You may find phone number for your region accordingly from the link below:

Global Customer Service phone numbers

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4051701/global-customer-service-phone-numbers

Thanks,

Jenny

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by jhedge Monday, August 26, 2019 12:49 PM
    Monday, August 26, 2019 2:51 AM
  • Jenny,

You wrote " So the licensing server address should be 192.168.1.133. :

That is correct

But how do I reconfigure it again?

Where do I go and do what?

You wrote: "BTW the error message showed that the licensing mode set on TS2 was Per Device.

Do you installed Per Device CAL as well?"

I purchased RDS by User

How do I change  to user?

I don't think anything I do is going to fix the problem but I will try if I have the proper direction.

Thank you.

Jim

Jim,

Please follow the instructions I gave you previously to Specify the ip address of your RD Licensing server and set the licensing mode to Per User.  This needs to be done on your RD Session Host server using gpedit.msc:

On the server you are seeing the message, please make sure you have set the licensing mode to Per User and Specified the FQDN of your RD Licensing server.  One way you can do this is via group policy setting (gpedit.msc):

Computer Configuration\ Administrative Templates\ Windows Components\ Remote Desktop Services\ Remote Desktop Session Host\ Licensing

Use the specified Remote Desktop license servers     Enabled

License servers to use:  192.168.1.133

Set the Remote Desktop licensing mode     Enabled

Specify the licensing mode for the RD Session Host server

Per User

Reply back if you have questions.

Thanks.

-TP

• Marked as answer by jhedge Monday, August 26, 2019 1:11 PM
    Monday, August 26, 2019 1:04 PM
  • Hi Jim,

So Glad to see the issue has been resolved.  For how many CALs stored on each server, you could check from Licensing manager on following servers.

SQL1 and TS2

Pay attention to the highlight parts:

First column expand enough to see what types and versions the CAL are.

Second column--total CALs you bought

Available: CALs that you can use

Issued: CALs already used.

Hope this clarifies and please feel free to let us know if more assistance needed.

Thanks,

Jenny

• Marked as answer by jhedge Tuesday, August 27, 2019 1:40 AM
    Tuesday, August 27, 2019 1:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

On the server you are seeing the message, please make sure you have set the licensing mode and Specified the FQDN of your RD Licensing server.  One way you can do this is via group policy setting (gpedit.msc):

Computer Configuration\ Administrative Templates\ Windows Components\ Remote Desktop Services\ Remote Desktop Session Host\ Licensing

Please note the RD Licensing server needs to be running the same version of Windows Server or higher than the RD Session Host server, and have same version or higher of RDS CALS.  For example, if your RDSH is running Server 2012 R2 your RD Licensing server needs to running Server 2012/2012R2/2016/2019 and have 2012 or higher version RDS CALs installed.

Thanks.

-TP

Thursday, August 22, 2019 7:02 AM
  • Hi,

Do you have RD licensing role in your deployment? The error usually prompted when the RDS Session host server did not specify the licensing server.

• You could first run powershell command to confirm which server has been installed with RDS licensing Role.

• Then follow steps to activate and install the CALs you bought.

• Last, you have to specify the licensing mode and licensing server via GPO methods:

Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Remote Desktop Services -> Remote Desktop Session Host -> Licensing.

Use the specified Remote Desktop license servers – enable the policy and specify the RDS license server address.

Set the Remote Desktop licensing mode – select the licensing mode.

Following links for your reference:

Get-RDserver

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/remotedesktop/get-rdserver?view=win10-ps

Activate the Remote Desktop Services license server and install CALs

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/rds-activate-license-server

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/rds-install-cals

Thanks,

Jenny

Thursday, August 22, 2019 7:58 AM
  • Hey TP,

Thanks for your reply.

Your reply sounds like something I can do. Here's what I get when I follow your instructions on the server that's sending out the notice.

I do not see any thing about  "Licensing"

I did a little poking around don't know just what it means but I thought this might shed some light on the matter

Maybe I can apply the 50 RDS CALs after all of this is resolved.

Thanks for all of your help.

Jim

Jim Hedge

Thursday, August 22, 2019 1:34 PM
  • Jenny,

I started from the top and tried to get this Get-RDserver - Ran that and received errors below

Get-RDServer : The term 'Get-RDServer' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.  Etc.....

Do I run this on a networked PC or on the Host server ?

Try to find a way to fix the problem.

1. Downloaded  msoidcli_64.msi  - some kind of sign-in 

2. Never could find  the next program to Download - very confusing

Just a side note, It made have never been deployed since this was a 2008 > 2012 in place upgrade.

All users about 20 are working fine, I just assumed that everyone was deployed because of this,

but only for a few more days.

I have purchased 50 RDS and 50 Cals  that would fix the problem if I could get them install well the RDS cals that is.

You might find the images below helpful.

Thank you Jenny for any help you can give!

Jim

Jim Hedge

Thursday, August 22, 2019 1:47 PM
  • Hi Jim,

Per my testing, the Get-Rdserver command worked well on connection broker server. Thus, could you please confirm if you are able to find out the servers with each RDS roles like (session host, connection broker, licensing server?)

The notification of 11 days and no licensing server available will disappear after you install 50 CALs to licensing server and configure the licensing mode on session host servers.

Since you are doing in-place upgrade, please follow the suggested order when doing upgrade/migration of RDS deployment.

Reference links:

Remote Desktop Services – Upgrade and Migration guidelines for Windows Server 2012 R2

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Enterprise-Mobility-Security/Remote-Desktop-Services-8211-Upgrade-and-Migration-guidelines/ba-p/248139

Migrate Remote Desktop Services to Windows Server 2012 R2

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2012-R2-and-2012/dn479239(v=ws.11)

Thanks

Jenny

Friday, August 23, 2019 2:46 AM
  • Hi Jenny,

You wrote" Per my testing, the Get-Rdserver command worked well on connection broker server. Thus, could you please confirm if you are able to find out the servers with each RDS roles like (session host, connection broker, licensing server?"

Sorry, I tried on the T1, t2 & SQL servers - get the error below

C:\Users\Administrator.RSC>Get-Rdserver
    'Get-Rdserver' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

As far as the upgrade goes - I think it might be to late for that now, but that's a great link you gave me.

I think the server giving the message has not been deployed yet, - It looks like the users would not be able to login but they can.

Can't seem to get the Get-Rdserver to work.

But it is for sure the T2 that giving the message.

Could you give me a step by step how to verify it?

This is what I did....

At the T1 server I opened up service manager 2012 went to remote desktop services and when I click on that under overview I get a statement that says a remote desktop Services deployment does not exist in the server pool to create a deployment run the add roles and feature Wizard and select the remote desktop Services install option .

So I went to add roles and features wizard and I selected the remote desktop services

Two choices

1. Role Base or Feature base installation

2. Remote Desktop Servers Installation

Which would I choice -  Is this what I need to do?

I can give you all screen shot or anything you might - That 9 days is getting closer by the minute  - just

afraid I'm going to run out of time.

Thanks for you patience,

BTW Do the images below help at all?

Jim

Jim Hedge

Friday, August 23, 2019 3:33 AM
  • Hi Jim,

No worries. Let’s sync up the problems one by one.

1. Please confirm whether your VMs used to have RDS deployment before you perform the in-place upgrade.

Did the users remote to T1 /T2 without notification of how many days left in past years?

2. Users are allowed for remote connection with Grace period before they gain the RDS CALs - the duration is 120 days.

Windows Server: Information on the Remote Desktop Services Licensing Grace Period

https://www.dell.com/support/article/sg/en/sgdhs1/sln155956/windows-server-information-on-the-remote-desktop-services-licensing-grace-period?lang=en

3. If there was complete RDS deployment before upgrade, the easiest way to erase the error message is to install your CALs on your Licensing server.

Also follow steps in above links to complete the RDS deployment upgrade.

If there was no RDS deployment before upgrade, then you could set up the RDS from scratch.

RDS 2012 Deployment and Configuration Guides

https://ryanmangansitblog.com/2015/03/02/rds-2012-deployment-and-configuration-guides/

Note: There are two installation type: quick start (three roles in 1 server) or standard installation (choose roles and servers one by one).

4. Could you please let us know what is your final expectations on these VMs, upgrade some of them with RDS 2012 r2?

5.If your company has MS contract and you want this issue to be resolved as soon as possible. You could reach Microsoft Customer Support and Services for quick response and support.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4051701/global-customer-service-phone-numbers

Thanks,

Jenny

Friday, August 23, 2019 5:52 AM
  • Hi Jim,

Based on your screenshot you navigated to User Configuration.  The path I gave you above is under Computer Configuration.  Please make the changes I gave you above to the server that is displaying the message and reply back.

Thanks.

-TP

Friday, August 23, 2019 6:03 AM
  • Hey TP,

I'm sorry sorry, I can't even follow directions.

Yes you are right I was under something yes.

Images show just as you directed - they were right See image-1,

It looks like from image 2 the license servers to use leaves out T2.133 the server with the problem.

and image -Image-3 shows by device - - should it be User?

I have purchased 50 user CALs and 50 RDS Cals. They are 2019 CALs

I just want the server not to go down on me  8 days left!

Thanks again for your help.

Image-1

Image-2

Image-3

Jim Hedge

Friday, August 23, 2019 12:58 PM
  • Morning Jenny,

The whole system was built in 2012.

Review

Host is: 2012 r2

VM1 name is:    SQL1 ( running 2008 r2) - IP -192.168.1.131 (this box also has AD on it!)

VM2 name is:    T1 (Terminal server-RDS) ( running (2008 r2 ) – 192.168.1.132

VM3 name is:    T2 (Terminal server-RDS)  (running 2012 r2) – 192.168.1.133 – In-place upgrade

VM4 name is:    B2B  ( running (2008 r2 ) – 192.168.1.134

VM5 name is:    API  (running 2012 r2) – 192.168.1.135 – In-place upgrade

I have started  in-place conversion from 2008 r2 > 2012 r2. I have converted two over successfully.

VM1 has two domain controllers SQL1 and T1, It has SQL2012 and AD on the same VM

Server was setup to allow 25 users per terminal server (RDS) - I guess now

Q-1 -No problems at all until I did a in-place upgrade (remember all VM were 2008) Except the host 2012.

The end-place upgrade was on the server with  the problem - 2008 >2012. I knew that I would need to upgrade my CALs & RDS

Everything was still working all users on both Terminal server had no problems but then the messages begin, I don't remember just when but now it's getting close to the dead line. 

Q-2 - Yes it started with 120 days - I just put it off  - of course this is not a good ideal - Blood pressure has gone up!

Q-3 - Not sure how to answer - You wrote"If there was no RDS deployment before upgrade"

I just installed 2012 over 2008 - Everything worked so I didn't give it a second thought.
    Q-4 You wrote "
    Could you please let us know what is your final expectations on these VMs, upgrade some of them with RDS 2012 r2?

Well I need priority one to keep the system up. I would like to do a in-place-upgrade on the other 3 VM's.

This might be a challenge since the original install put the SQL server and the activate directory on the same VM!

5. no contract - I might be wrong but it seems like a simple thing to just add the RDS CALs I have done it on the SQL server and it was successful but it did not help.

I have done a few things that may have may this problem worse  - not sure

Thanks you your help.

jim

Jim Hedge

Friday, August 23, 2019 1:16 PM
  • Hi,

If you purchased RDS User CALs, then you need to set the licensing mode to Per User .

The "License servers to use" needs to have the FQDN or ip address of your RD Licensing server only.  It is your choice which server you install RD Licensing on, however, the server needs to running at least Windows Server 2012 since your RDSH servers are 2012 R2.  For example, if your domain controller is running Server 2012 R2 then you might choose to install RD Licensing on it.  RD Licensing uses very little CPU/RAM/Disk resources.

You can install RD Licensing Role Service via Server Manager Add roles and features wizard.  Once installed, open RD Licensing Manager (licmgr.exe), Activate the server, and install your RDS CALs.  If you purchased your RDS CALs via volume license agreement the wizard will automatically install them as 2012 version (even though they are 2019 version). 

-TP

Saturday, August 24, 2019 4:08 AM
  • Jenny,

I tried to add the license.

In Remote Desktop Licensing Manager.

As you can see it's in there now 3 times - still gets the message now 7 days left - There must be something else wrong.....

Thank you,

Jim

Jim Hedge

• Marked as answer by jhedge Monday, August 26, 2019 2:25 AM
    Sunday, August 25, 2019 1:59 PM
  • Hi Jim,

Thanks for the screenshots. It seemed you have successfully installed RDS CALs (per User)x 50 (2012) ON T2 server.

What we can saw from your screenshots:

1. SQL 1 server has 2008 CAL (25+50) -----> Licensing role installed.

2. TS 2 server has 2008 CAL (25), 2012 CAL ( 50+ 50+ 25) ------> Licensing role installed.

Next steps:

1. Since TS 2 has already upgraded to 2012  R2 and has 2012 Cals installed.

Assuming TS 2 has RD session host role installed as well ( RD session host is server that users remote to).

Please followed steps provided by TP to enable licensing mode on TS2 and also point licensing server TS2 on TS2.

After updating group policy, test remote connection to TS2 with a user account and then check CAL usage on licensing server manager on TS2.

Note: 2008 CAL are used for users when remoting to RD session host (2008) while 2012 CAL are used for users when remoting to RD session host 2012. So when specifying licensing servers, you should consider the version of RD session host as well.

2. To successfully upgrade servers from 2008 to 2012, it is suggested to figure out the RDS roles installed on each Servers.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/patricka/2008/03/05/detecting-what-server-roles-are-installed-on-windows-server-2008/

Please test Step 1 first and let me know the result.

Thanks,

Jenny

• Marked as answer by jhedge Monday, August 26, 2019 2:30 AM
    Monday, August 26, 2019 2:26 AM
  • Jenny,

I don't know if you saw my last post - I got the " Oops, something's wrong below. "

I may have jumped the I went ahead and tried to deploy on the 2012 and now I get this.

As you call see it looks like the RDS was loaded on the AD server which is .131

Thanks for all your help. 

I think all of the points that others including have been helpful but have not address the issue as  I see it.

Just running out of time.

Can you recommend anyone beside Microsoft - to $$$ ?

I can see that I'm going to have to call on a outside source to help.

Thank again,
    Jim

Jim Hedge

Monday, August 26, 2019 2:36 AM
  • Hi Jim,

>>enable licensing mode on TS2 and also point licensing server TS2 on TS2.

So the licensing server address should be 192.168.1.133. Reconfigure it on TS2 and test again.

BTW the error message showed that the licensing mode set on TS2 was Per Device. Do you installed Per Device CAL as well? If not change Device Mode to Per User.

You could reach global contact for more assistance needed.

Thanks,

Jenny

• Marked as answer by jhedge Monday, August 26, 2019 12:49 PM
    Monday, August 26, 2019 2:51 AM
  • Jenny,

That is correct

You wrote: "BTW the error message showed that the licensing mode set on TS2 was Per Device.

I purchased RDS by User

I don't think anything I do is going to fix the problem but I will try if I have the proper direction.

Thank you.

Jim

Jim Hedge

Monday, August 26, 2019 12:55 PM
  • Jenny,

That is correct

I purchased RDS by User

Thank you.

Jim

Jim,

Please follow the instructions I gave you previously to Specify the ip address of your RD Licensing server and set the licensing mode to Per User.  This needs to be done on your RD Session Host server using gpedit.msc:

On the server you are seeing the message, please make sure you have set the licensing mode to Per User and Specified the FQDN of your RD Licensing server.  One way you can do this is via group policy setting (gpedit.msc):

License servers to use:  192.168.1.133

Specify the licensing mode for the RD Session Host server

Per User

Reply back if you have questions.

Thanks.

-TP

• Marked as answer by jhedge Monday, August 26, 2019 1:11 PM
    Monday, August 26, 2019 1:04 PM
  • Jenny,

I followed that.

Just to be sure...  like below?

And I guess on both  ... Use the specified and Set the remote they should have 192.169.1.133 - right?

I will wait to hear from you before I proceed.

Thanks

Jim Hedge

Monday, August 26, 2019 1:15 PM
  • Jenny,

Forget what I said for both it's only on the "Use the....."

Thanks!!!!

Jim Hedge

Monday, August 26, 2019 1:19 PM
  • -TP

So sorry about calling you someone else - I have lost my mind on this project . no sleep.

Please for give me!

Jim Hedge

Monday, August 26, 2019 1:28 PM
  • TP,

That fixed it!

The message has gone away.

I might get some sleep tonight.

If you don't mind take a look at the following images and let me know if they look normal.

My concern was the number of licenses on each server.

Jim Hedge

Monday, August 26, 2019 2:34 PM
  • Hi Jim,

So Glad to see the issue has been resolved.  For how many CALs stored on each server, you could check from Licensing manager on following servers.

SQL1 and TS2

Pay attention to the highlight parts:

First column expand enough to see what types and versions the CAL are.

Second column--total CALs you bought

Available: CALs that you can use

Issued: CALs already used.

Hope this clarifies and please feel free to let us know if more assistance needed.

Thanks,

Jenny

• Marked as answer by jhedge Tuesday, August 27, 2019 1:40 AM
    Tuesday, August 27, 2019 1:34 AM
  • Jenny,

Thanks you for all of the help, It's very obvious I would have not resolved it without everyone's help/

TS2 show 125 - should I be concerned I only purchased 50?

I will check  it out!

Will sleep tonight!

Thanks again

jim

Jim Hedge

Tuesday, August 27, 2019 1:44 AM
  • Jenny,

One more thing.

Should I be concerned that the SQL server show no 2012 licenses?

Jim Hedge

Tuesday, August 27, 2019 2:07 AM
  • Hi Jim,

For 1st question, I am not sure if your TS2 already have 75 CALs before you purchased 50 CALs. You could reach Clearing house to confirm details.

Microsoft Clearinghouse

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2008-R2-and-2008/cc754677%28v%3dws.10%29

For 2nd question, as I explained before CAL version should match Session Host version when Device or Users started remote connection. As we can see TS1 still has 2008 version, 2008 CAL is needed when users remote to this server.

So you could follow above steps to specify SQL1 server as licensing server for TS1 before you upgrade TS1 to 2012 R2.

Last but not least, it is suggested that you could spare some time to investigate some articles to know the RDS structure and workflow and get familiar with migration steps before you continue upgrade for the rest servers

Thanks,

Jenny

Tuesday, August 27, 2019 3:26 AM