RDS 2016 - minimize or switching application crashes/freezing window. RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings everyone.

We are using an application with RemoteApp. 
    We had no issues with Windows Server 2012R2. 
    Installing the very same application on a Server 2016 Standard (new rds farm on WS2016), weird things started happening. 

When a user is minimized or switching another application (full screen mode) the window goes freeze or show strange stripes.

If you right click on it choose expand/deploy the application normalize

Problem аppears on 10-20% workstation with different OS or CPU or Videocard or Screen resolution.

Thank you all for any help you could provide me.

Regards,

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 2:46 PM

Answers

• Problem solved.

I hope Microsoft can resolve this very soon. In the meantime I will test the "Disable Use advanced RemoteFX graphics for RemoteApp" GPO. - on RDS server hosts

• Marked as answer by Alex Byvshev Wednesday, January 24, 2018 11:53 AM
    Wednesday, January 24, 2018 11:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If only single RemoteApp program is facing the issue, I suggest you contact application vendor support to ensure that it's compatible within Windows Server 2016 Remote Desktop environment.

For non-MS applications, please ensure it's installed in RD-Install mode.

Tip:             Learn How To Install Applications on an RD Session Host Server

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff432698.aspx

Some general suggestions for you are to fully patch Windows systems and keep network and display drivers up to date, you may also disable third party applications to test.

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 25, 2017 6:46 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the answer but the problem with several applications and even with exel.

Applications are compatible with Windows Server and work fine without rds.

Can my issues be in Remote fx?

Thank you all for any help you could provide me.

Regards,

Wednesday, May 31, 2017 10:54 AM
  • Hi,

In that case, please try to fully patch Windows systems, keep display and NIC drivers up to date.

You may also disable third party applications to see whether the issue persists.

Here is a related thread below for you:

Windows 2016 Server RDWEB - Office 2016 RemoteApp (access via Windows 10 Pro)

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ec92e272-2757-4c31-87cf-8f981f382b56/windows-2016-server-rdweb-office-2016-remoteapp-access-via-windows-10-pro?forum=winserverTS

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Amy Wang_ Thursday, June 1, 2017 9:30 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Amy Wang_ Tuesday, June 6, 2017 9:22 AM
    Thursday, June 1, 2017 9:27 AM
  • Alex, Did you ever get this figured out? I'm having the same issue, with a new 2016 RDS deployment.  In my environment, I have noticed the freezing only occurs when the users have multiple displays, and primary monitor is not the furthest left monitor...strange.

Friday, September 8, 2017 3:56 PM
  • Have you found a solution to this problem?  I have found that when monitor #1 is not set as the main monitor, I can reproduce the issue.  I put together a simple WinForms app with an MDIContainer set to maximized by default and if I minimize it and then maximize it from the task bar, the window restores to the left most monitor and is seemingly dead.  I can hit Alt-Spacebar to bring up the Windows menu which allows me to Restore the window, which changes the size back to the original height and width and moves it to monitor #2.  If I change my system settings to have monitor #1 as the main monitor, the test works fine, I can minimize and maximize at will without any problems / freezing.  Seems like there is an issue with some graphics adapters and 2016 RDS when monitor #1 is not specified as the main monitor.
    Thursday, October 26, 2017 5:55 PM
  • Just want to tell you guys that you are not alone. We had a RemoteApp server built on 2008R2 for over 7 years. We rebuilt the system on a new hardware with fully patched Windows 2016.  The environment is provided for our external customers. Due to the issues, we have to ask them to RDP into the server instead of using RemoteApps. As pointed out in the above posts, the problem is related to primary display assignement on mutliple screens or different combination of OS or grahic card (we guess) etc. But the problem only affects certain desktops. 
    Tuesday, November 21, 2017 1:39 AM
  • Definitely not alone. This is the only place I could find this reported. We have the same issue Vincent describes: RemoteApp server working fine on 2008R2 for years and now this issue when on 2016. All of our clients using the RemoteApp are still on Windows 7 (upgrade is on the way) so I wasn't sure if this made any difference.

For us the primary window doesn't seem to matter but it does only happen to those with multiple displays. There are no updated drivers available for these graphics cards involved.

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 7:25 PM
  • Problem solved.

I hope Microsoft can resolve this very soon. In the meantime I will test the "Disable Use advanced RemoteFX graphics for RemoteApp" GPO. - on RDS server hosts

• Marked as answer by Alex Byvshev Wednesday, January 24, 2018 11:53 AM
    Wednesday, January 24, 2018 11:53 AM
  • If I may ask, what was the fix for the problem? 
    Wednesday, February 21, 2018 12:28 PM
  • Problem solved.

I need to apply the GPO on the RemoteApp hosts too.
    Wednesday, March 21, 2018 12:44 PM
  • I know they had a patch to fix this issue with Windows 10 1803 as mentioned in the other thread that was linked in this thread but what about updates for people having this issue with Windows 7? Is the only fix really to Disable Use advanced RemoteFX graphics for RemoteApp?

Microsoft should patch this for Windows 7....I know they are at least trying or have patched Windows 10 for something similar in July.

Thursday, August 23, 2018 9:17 PM
  • It looks like Microsoft released a fix for Windows 10 machines with the issue that somewhat worked but still didn't fix everything. Any chance Windows 7 people will get a patch?
    Thursday, August 23, 2018 9:19 PM
  • This is happening both with Windows 8.1 clients and Windows 10 clients. Are you aware of any hotfix to fix this issue. 

Thursday, November 29, 2018 10:33 AM
  • I'm having the same problem with the main monitor. If main is #2, users opens ANY app, minimizes it, maximize again from task bar, the client pushes the app over to monitor #1. At that point the app is completely frozen or black. At that point the user would either reboot or I'd have to kick them out of RDS.

Switch main monitor to #1, go through the same steps, no issues.

I duplicated this on 3 different sets of hardware - all Windows 7 - all had the issue.

Test this on Windows 10 (1803 I believe) with the same monitors, same setup, no problems regardless of which monitor was primary.

At this point in the game we're opting to set those users primary to #1 and get them upgraded to 10 ASAP so they have their choice of primary. Far from ideal as we didn't have this problem in our 2012R2 RDS farm.

Also: Disable Use advanced RemoteFX graphics for RemoteApp did nothing for us.
    • Edited by 00Shep Tuesday, January 22, 2019 4:57 PM
    Tuesday, January 22, 2019 4:55 PM