none
DC have 2 IP, one IP can used to join domain but the other one cannot RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a Windows 2016 domain controller assigned 2 IP (A & B). We found that if client machine use IP A for the DNS server, it can join domain. If use IP B for the DNS, it cannot join domain. Both IP can resolve to the DC correctly.

Any idea?

Thanks and Regards 

Chong

• Edited by Chongtsz Tuesday, November 19, 2019 9:30 AM
    Tuesday, November 19, 2019 9:30 AM

Answers

• Hi,

When the client are using the B address, check if it's able to resolve the domain DNS name  via the command

nslookup domainname
    For your information it's recommended to set only one IP on domain controller.

Please don't forget to mark the correct answer, to help others who have the same issue. Thameur BOURBITA MCSE | MCSA My Blog : http://bourbitathameur.blogspot.fr/

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 12:55 AM
  • Hello,

Agree with Thameur. We recommand to set only one IP on domain controller.

Although it is technically possible to configure DNS on a DC with two IP addresses, we do not recommend it.Numerous issues can occur in such an environment, such as name resolving (DNS, WINS). Though some general configuration change can be performed to avoid the issues that result from the multihomed domain controller, considering the different network environments (default gateway, route table and reason for multihome) and different application usage, you may need to perform some additional operation and troubleshooting to make it work. If it is possible, we strongly suggest that you do not configure domain controller as multihomed.  

If you want to configure after understanding these issues, please refer to the article provided by F.ABSSI.

Best regards,
    Cynthia

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 6:34 AM
  • Hi,

I have a Windows 2016 domain controller assigned 2 IP (A & B). We found that if client machine use IP A for the DNS server, it can join domain. If use IP B for the DNS, it cannot join domain. Both IP can resolve to the DC correctly.

Any idea?

Thanks and Regards 

Chong

DC multi-homing is not recommended for the symptoms you are describing above. We recommend using a single NIC instead and cleaning up the DC DNS records. If you still need to have two NICs then consider disabling DNS registration on one of the NICs. If you still have issues after doing that, you need to check with your network team if traffic is dropped by a network device.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

• Marked as answer by Chongtsz Wednesday, December 4, 2019 1:38 AM
    Monday, November 25, 2019 11:08 AM

All replies

• Hi, You can check on this guide if you correctely configured to allow 2 adresses:

https://www.petri.com/configure-dns-on-domain-controller-two-ip-addresses

"Vote or mark as answer if you think useful" "Marquer comme réponse les réponses qui ont résolu votre problème"

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 1:18 PM
  • Hi,

When the client are using the B address, check if it's able to resolve the domain DNS name  via the command

nslookup domainname
    For your information it's recommended to set only one IP on domain controller.

Please don't forget to mark the correct answer, to help others who have the same issue. Thameur BOURBITA MCSE | MCSA My Blog : http://bourbitathameur.blogspot.fr/

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 12:55 AM
  • Hello,

Agree with Thameur. We recommand to set only one IP on domain controller.

Although it is technically possible to configure DNS on a DC with two IP addresses, we do not recommend it.Numerous issues can occur in such an environment, such as name resolving (DNS, WINS). Though some general configuration change can be performed to avoid the issues that result from the multihomed domain controller, considering the different network environments (default gateway, route table and reason for multihome) and different application usage, you may need to perform some additional operation and troubleshooting to make it work. If it is possible, we strongly suggest that you do not configure domain controller as multihomed.  

If you want to configure after understanding these issues, please refer to the article provided by F.ABSSI.

Best regards,
    Cynthia

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 6:34 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Cynthia

Friday, November 22, 2019 8:26 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Cynthia

Monday, November 25, 2019 9:17 AM
  • Hi,

Any idea?

Thanks and Regards 

Chong

DC multi-homing is not recommended for the symptoms you are describing above. We recommend using a single NIC instead and cleaning up the DC DNS records. If you still need to have two NICs then consider disabling DNS registration on one of the NICs. If you still have issues after doing that, you need to check with your network team if traffic is dropped by a network device.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

• Marked as answer by Chongtsz Wednesday, December 4, 2019 1:38 AM
    Monday, November 25, 2019 11:08 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

Cynthia

Wednesday, December 4, 2019 1:33 AM