none
RDP - connecting to server as 'local' administrator RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

is there a way to connect via rdp to a server as a local admin?
    The program I use always detects that I am in a ts session (using the administrator account) and does not give me full access. Is there a way to hide the information and pretend to be logged in to the physical machine as administrator?

I tried mstsc /admin and username ./administrator but both are not working

Thanks

• Edited by jkreutzer Sunday, May 19, 2019 10:38 PM
    Sunday, May 19, 2019 10:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You could connect to the "physical" console using whatever method is provided by the hypervisor you are using or you could install a third-party remote control tool that is designed to allow you to connect to a console.  For example, VNC, Team Viewer, Remote PC, GoToMyPC, LogMeIn, etc.

From your description this appears to be a limitation of the software you are using.  Have you asked the software manufacturer if there is a way to use it properly via RDP?  In my experience the number of software programs that require you to be logged on to the physical console is very small.

-TP

Monday, May 20, 2019 12:11 AM
  • hi,
    can you enter query session in command prompt on issue session host and look how many the same your issue account have logged in session host server ? is it only one or two ? like picture 1
    if there have been two the same issue admin account logged in session host server,can you log off one in  task manager ,then try to use your issue program again? like picture 2

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 20, 2019 3:29 PM
  • There is only one session active with rdp-tcp#0 administrator, tasks manager also only shows one user (administrator). 

Monday, May 20, 2019 5:09 PM
  • From your description this appears to be a limitation of the software you are using.  Have you asked the software manufacturer if there is a way to use it properly via RDP? 

I'm running RDP from linux machines. The official solution would be to install the application on the server as well as on the local machine (requires Windows tho). This would make it much more complicated.
    Monday, May 20, 2019 5:18 PM
  • hi,
    we can try to use Tightvnc software on both window server and Linux client .
    Download TightVNC
    https://www.tightvnc.com/download-old.php

Please Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 5:37 AM
  • Is there any progress on your question?

Friday, May 24, 2019 1:54 AM
  • TightVNC works but is def. lacking behind RDP performance wise. I'm still trying to find a solution for RDP as 'local administrator' without informing my application about the ts session. 

It's definitely a problem with my application but there is nothing I can do to change this. 
    Saturday, May 25, 2019 12:17 PM
  • thanks for your reply .
    "It's definitely a problem with my application but there is nothing I can do to change this."
    I not sure if you can contact vendor of that application to know more reason .

Sunday, May 26, 2019 1:28 PM