none
DLNA and web media streaming not working on Server 2012 R2 Essentials RRS feed

• Question

• Weird behavior when I try to play files from my media folders on DLNA-compatible devices:

• I can navigate the folders
    • I can see the files

But when I go to play the files I get connection errors.

This also occurs when I try to play the media files via Windows Media Player on my Windows computers on the network.  Again, I can browse the files, and see them listed, but when I go to play I get "Windows Media Player cannot connect to the server.  The server name might not be correct, the server might not be available, or your proxy settings might not be correct."

I've tried restarting the WMPnetwork service on the server, and I've tried all manner of config with permissions.  I'm clearly missing something.

I can serve both audio and video via DLNA off my BlackBerry to all of these devices, so the fault is clearly on the server end.

ETA: When I use RemoteAccess, I can see the files in the libraries, but only sometimes.  Occasionally errors like "there are no videos in this library".  When I DO see files in the media folders, I go to play them and I just get an indefinite buffering indicator.  However, I can navigate the shares and download the files successfully.

ETA2: If I run WMP on the server itself, and navigate to the network library, it works fine.  No, it's not firewall (get the same issue on network devices even with Windows Firewall down).

• Edited by Thunderbuck Tuesday, August 18, 2015 6:07 AM MORE symptoms.
    Tuesday, August 18, 2015 5:56 AM

All replies

• So, miracle of miracles, I was actually able to play a video from the server's WMP library on my main (Win10) laptop.  But when I closed and re-opened WMP I got the same symptoms.

On the bright side, when I tell Groove Music to look in the network shares, it finds and plays music beautifully.

Still doesn't solve my WMP/DLNA problem, though...

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 4:16 PM
  • Bumping this.  Still don't understand why I can browse files but playing them is somehow out of the question.

Possible timeout adjustment?  If so, where?

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 8:12 PM
  • Did you find a fix for this as I am having the same problem with my server the past while it used to work fine.
    Monday, February 20, 2017 9:26 PM
  • Hi, See your answers in this video (step by step). Install, configure and test online media streaming on windows server 2012R2. https://youtu.be/mNQj8OoiR8Q If you are satisfied than give me a like :-) Cheers, tof
    Saturday, December 23, 2017 2:33 AM
  • Hi, See your answers in this video (step by step). Install, configure and test online media streaming on windows server 2012R2. https://youtu.be/mNQj8OoiR8Q If you are satisfied than give me a like :-) Cheers, tof
    Saturday, December 23, 2017 2:34 AM