historical search RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Experts

Will the below syntax give me only 1000 results or more than that, if i require more than 1000 what syntax do i need to use

Start-HistoricalSearch -ReportTitle "test" -StartDate 06/01/2020 -EndDate 06/30/2020 -ReportType MessageTraceDetail -SenderAddress ext@ext.com -RecipientAddress myuser@contoso.com -NotifyAddress administrator@contoso.com

Wednesday, July 22, 2020 8:51 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to the official document:

To search for message data that is greater than 10 days old, use the Start-HistoricalSearch and Get-HistoricalSearch cmdlets.

This cmdlet returns a maximum of 1000000 results, and will timeout on very large queries. If your query returns too many results, consider splitting it up using smaller StartDate and EndDate intervals.

This Microsoft Online: Exchange Online Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to this sticky post for more details.

Regards,

Joyce Shen

Microsoft Online: Exchange Online will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A! We invite you to post new questions in the new forum.

For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

• Marked as answer by Glenn Maxwell Monday, August 3, 2020 3:58 PM
    Thursday, July 23, 2020 2:44 AM
  • i am getting only 1000 results , do i need to add 

Start-HistoricalSearch -resultsize -unlimited

Thursday, July 23, 2020 1:13 PM
  • Hi, 

There is no -resultsize parameter in Start-HistoricalSearch

A historical search provides message trace and report details in a comma-separated value (CSV) file for messages that are aged between 1-4 hours (depending on your environment) and 90 days old. There is a limit of 250 historical searches that you can submit in a 24 hour period; you'll be warned if you're nearing the daily quota. Cancelled searches count against the daily quota. Also, in each CSV file there is a limit of 50000 results or lines.

This Microsoft Online: Exchange Online Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to this sticky post for more details.

Regards,

Joyce Shen

Microsoft Online: Exchange Online will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A! We invite you to post new questions in the new forum.

Monday, July 27, 2020 5:59 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to the official document:

To search for message data that is greater than 10 days old, use the Start-HistoricalSearch and Get-HistoricalSearch cmdlets.

This cmdlet returns a maximum of 1000000 results, and will timeout on very large queries. If your query returns too many results, consider splitting it up using smaller StartDate and EndDate intervals.

Regards,

Joyce Shen

Thursday, July 23, 2020 2:44 AM
  • i am getting only 1000 results , do i need to add 

Start-HistoricalSearch -resultsize -unlimited

Thursday, July 23, 2020 1:13 PM
  • Hi, 

There is no -resultsize parameter in Start-HistoricalSearch

A historical search provides message trace and report details in a comma-separated value (CSV) file for messages that are aged between 1-4 hours (depending on your environment) and 90 days old. There is a limit of 250 historical searches that you can submit in a 24 hour period; you'll be warned if you're nearing the daily quota. Cancelled searches count against the daily quota. Also, in each CSV file there is a limit of 50000 results or lines.

Regards,

Joyce Shen

Monday, July 27, 2020 5:59 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update about your issue?

Regards,

Joyce Shen

Friday, July 31, 2020 7:51 AM