none
IE 11 using Javascript 1.3 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a web project that has to work on multiple browsers. When I use the following link to test the javascript versions this is what I get:

Link: http://jsfiddle.net/Ac6CT/

For IE 11 I get 1.3 (my code breaks)
    For IE 9 on Vista I get 1.7 (my code works)
    For Chrome on Windows 8.1 (same machine as IE 11 above) I get 1.7 (my code works)
    For FireFox on Windows 8.1 (same machine as IE 11 and Chrome) I get 1.5 (my code works)

So the question is why is IE 11 only running javascript 1.3?  Can I set this to a higher version?

The code that is breaking is str[0] which is undefined in 1.3 but works in all of the later versions.

I would like to change the javascript version instead of my code if at all possible.

Thanks,
    Susan G. Conger

BFC Associates

Monday, November 10, 2014 7:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,

version testing is not recommended. use feature testing instead... the version and language attributes of the script tag are deprecated.

eg.

if(window.addBehavior)// userAgent supports legacy HTC behaviors.

Post questions about html, css and scripting to the IE Web Development forum. Include with your question a link to your website.

to debug web pages press f12 to display the developer tool, then refresh the page to show any suppressed error messages. Include these messages with your post.

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us 

Rob^_^

Monday, November 10, 2014 10:54 PM
  • I am not version testing.  These where my finding WHEN THE CODE I DEVELOPED stop working under IE 11. 

As I stated my question is can I change the version of JavaScript that IE is using.  Seems like a configuration issue to me!

BFC Associates

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 1:38 AM
  • Yes.... different browser versions use different jscript.dll versions.

use the Emulation tab of Developer tools to change the DocumentMode on any Windows OS.

Post the contents of the Developer tool console (with the error messages) to the IE Web Development forum.

Rob^_^

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 2:34 AM