none
Failed to install ActiveX on IE 11

Question

• We found our ActiveX failed to install after IE 11 updates to version: 11.0.9600.17842  , KB3058515.

"An add-on for this website failed to run."

We verified that, we don't have this issue before this version of IE.

I also tried other activex, also can not install.

Can someone explain what happened about this upgrade ?

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 3:19 AM

Answers

•  Unable to connect error

Need more details.  This could be expected in a MUF session.  Then either use Desktop IE or don't try to elevate the task.  Etc. 

Otherwise do some tracing to refine your symptom description.  E.g. you could use Fiddler4 if it is just a connectivity issue or ProcMon if it is something else.  If it is Desktop IE you can use its Developer Tools, Network capture, etc.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, June 25, 2015 2:12 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,
    How many bits?

File>Properties to determine which IE Security zone your AX deployment page maps to.

View>Source to find out the codebase value of the ActiveX control... One would expect that they should both map to an intranet site. I suspect that the codebase value and the domain of the deployment pages are in different IE security zones.
    or

F12>Console tab, type
    navigator.platform

to determine which bitness is being used by the browser.

By default Enhanced protected mode is turned off for sites in the Trusted and Intranet zones.  EPM only allows 64bit ActiveX controls, but you should be prompted to switch to x64...

"Scripting of ActiveX controls and applets" is controlled by settings in the IE Security zone templates... make sure your GPO security zone templates allow scripting in the security zones where your ActiveX control is used.

Additionally to check for certificate errors.... change the values for the "Download signed/un-signed ActiveX controls settings"
    Regards.

Rob^_^

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 3:33 AM
  • Thanks for your quick reply.

My IE 11 bitness is "Win32"

And "Enhanced Protected Mode", "Enable 64-bit processes for Enhanced  Protected Mode" are off.

But I'm not very clear about "Scripting of ActiveX controls and applets", can you provide more details?

about "Download signed/un-signed ActiveX controls settings"

I tried with the "Allow software to run or install even if signature is invalid" on / off, not work.

And the certificate should be OK,

Anything else I can try?

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 4:00 AM
  • Hi,

check that ActiveX filtering is not turned on. (Tools>ActiveX Filtering)

check that the codebase attribute maps to an intranet domain.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 12:02 AM
  • It's a confirmed bug, we opened a case with MS this past Friday and they've confirmed it. They say they are working on a fix, IMO that will probably come as a future Security Rollup that supersedes this one. Obviously it only affects installing ActiveX Controls, once there anyone can use them. Only workaround we've found is to have an Admin install so the users can continue to work...
    Wednesday, June 17, 2015 5:44 PM
  • Hello,

We have been experiencing this issue as well. You cannot install any components requiring ActiveX.

We also receive an "Runtime error 429 - ActiveX Component Can't Create Object" when running applications

After hours of troubleshooting and reloading PCs and Servers we found a fix. 

Download the "tweaking.com - windows repair utility" from (you guessed it) tweaking.com

After installing you need to run the "Repair Registry" fix first (Select ONLY this option) depending on resources it should take about 5 minutes to run. 

DO NOT REBOOT

Then run the "IE Repair", again select only this option. 

After these run it should resolve the issues. 

It seems there are a lot of corrupt patches that are causing this. So far I have seen data on 3. 

Hope this helps!!

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 7:17 PM
  • I hit the "add on failed to install" problem when trying to set up some MSN Zone games.

Running IE11 as administrator enabled me to get the games installed but now when I try to play a game I get:-

Unable to connect error

I'd welcome any assistance or info.       

• Edited by Hairy Scot Thursday, June 25, 2015 5:27 AM
    Thursday, June 25, 2015 5:26 AM
  •  Unable to connect error

Need more details.  This could be expected in a MUF session.  Then either use Desktop IE or don't try to elevate the task.  Etc. 

Otherwise do some tracing to refine your symptom description.  E.g. you could use Fiddler4 if it is just a connectivity issue or ProcMon if it is something else.  If it is Desktop IE you can use its Developer Tools, Network capture, etc.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, June 25, 2015 2:12 PM
    Answerer