none
how to use Internet Explorer 11 64 bits rather than the 32 bit version, on Windows 7 familial premium 64 bit

Question

• Hi,

my system : up to date computer, W7 familial premium (64 bit), Internet Explorer 11 (32 bit)

I use this computer on the web to visit just one website, always the same and several hours a day ; this site advocate the use of Internet Explorer 64 bits for more efficiency.

How can I get to install, or switch to the 64 bit version of Internet Explorer, as presently when I try to install a downloaded version, I get as an answer something like "installation not possible because the more up to date version of Internet Explorer is already installed on your computer". Thanks

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 2:25 PM

Answers

• Hi,

On a 64-bit version of Windows, please click system drive, there should be a “Program Files” and “program Files x86”,  the "Program Files" folder is for 64-bit programs and the "Program Files (x86)" folder is for 32-bit programs, you will find IE11 64 bit has already installed in you system in “Program Files”>”Internet explorer”.

Regards,

Yolanda

Yolanda
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, November 21, 2013 8:06 AM

All replies

• Add on to the previous message :   the website advocate the use of IE 64 bit + Java 64 bit rather than IE 32 bit + Java 32 bits
    Wednesday, November 20, 2013 2:58 PM
  • Hi,

On a 64-bit version of Windows, please click system drive, there should be a “Program Files” and “program Files x86”,  the "Program Files" folder is for 64-bit programs and the "Program Files (x86)" folder is for 32-bit programs, you will find IE11 64 bit has already installed in you system in “Program Files”>”Internet explorer”.

Regards,

Yolanda

Yolanda
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, November 21, 2013 8:06 AM
  • Hi Yolanda,

thanks for your clear explanation ; it works fine ; you've answered the question.

Best regards,

FH

Friday, November 22, 2013 9:42 PM
  • The compatibility is certainly important. Thank you for bringing it up. What about Adobe Flash?

I would like to know if I can delete (i.e., rename) my 32-bit IE installation, thus forcing the system to run ONLY the 64-bit version. My IE 11 (on Win7) hangs several times per day, and it's almost always the 32-bit that's the "faulting application." The faulting module varies (frequently MSHTML.dll), but I wonder if there isn't a crossing of wires, so to speak -- some sort of contention between the two IE versions that's causing the hangs, crashes, and even a BSOD.

In terms of memory allocation, per Task Manager a short while ago, the first 6 instances of iexplore.exe were all 32-bit, a single instance of 64-bit, then several more 32s.

If anyone knows the ramifications of my making the 32-bit version "invisible," and, indeed, what would be the best way to go about it, I would really appreciate it.

Saturday, May 24, 2014 8:22 AM
  • That is very nice BUT, if I run the IE.exe located inside the ProgramFiles>InternetExplorer, when I go to "About Internet Explorer" there is NO mention to a 64bit version.

Everything indicates that the system chooses to override my command and start the 32 bit version.

Tuesday, December 30, 2014 2:23 PM
  • @always nuke&pave
    Internet Options>Security tab, click "Reset all zones to default", ensure that "Enhanced protected mode" is turned on for the Internet Zone. Your company websites (intranet) will by default not use EPM and render using an x86 IE frame.... contact your system administrators for instructions.

when asking internet related questions please include the url of web sites you are having problems with...in your case your homepage addresses.

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Rob^_^

Friday, January 02, 2015 1:22 AM