none
How to recover a 2016 Visio file? RRS feed

• Question

• I have auto-recover on, which is configured to automatically save my files every 5 minutes. Recently, I tried to delete a sheet of one of my files, and the I got an error message saying the sheet was open in another window (which was incorrect). Visio closed my file without saving it. Where are the auto-recover files located?

This question was asked before, but the answer is outdated and the file path provided in the answer no longer exists.

• Edited by Madiger Thursday, October 24, 2019 9:56 PM clarification
    Thursday, October 24, 2019 9:55 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on my tests, when Visio open a drawing, AutoRecover11.ini contains the names of the current files handled by Autorecover and the AutoRecover files (.vsdm) that will be created in %temp% if Visio closes unexpectedly. I use Task Manager to manually end task of Viso, I find that the .vsdm included in AutoRecover11.ini is created in %temp% folder. The AutoRecover11.ini will be kept instead of being deleted.

When I reopen Visio, I see the drawing file that is automatically opened by Visio and the drawing file has "[Recovered]" as part of its file name.

As my above reply mentioned, AutoRecover files are only kept in the event the Office application being used closes unexpectedly and, when you next run the application, it loads the files for you to save to an appropriate location. If Visio closed expectedly, Visio has cleaned up its areas and deleted any temporary and AutoRecover files.

If you reopen Visio and there is no such [Recovered] drawing appearing. It means that Visio has cleaned up these temporary and AutoRecover files and you could not recover the Visio files.

If you have any updates, feel free to post back.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

• Marked as answer by Madiger Wednesday, November 6, 2019 1:52 AM
    Wednesday, October 30, 2019 1:59 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Generally, the autorecover path for Visio is located in: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp or %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Visio .

You can open File Explorer, paste %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Visio, press Enter. Open the AutoRecover11.ini file with Notepad or similar, it will contain the names of the current files handled by Autorecover.

The AutoRecovery file that is created keeps information about the drawing files that are opened by an instance of Visio. If you see a drawing file that is automatically opened by Visio and the drawing file has "[Recovered]" as part of its file name after a system crash, this indicates that the file is recovered by Visio. You can save the recovered file to preserve the unsaved contents that were lost during the application crash or the system crash.

AutoRecover files are only kept in the event the Office application being used closes unexpectedly and, when you next run the application, it loads the files for you to save to an appropriate location. If Visio closed expectedly, Visio has cleaned up its areas and deleted any temporary and AutoRecover files .

Maybe you search Windows temp folder: %temp% or C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Temp for vsdm files or just list newest to oldest.

If you have any updates, feel free to post back to let us know.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Friday, October 25, 2019 9:20 AM
  • Generally, the autorecover path for Visio is located in: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp or %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Visio .

Thank you for your response, Herb. I am running a test right now: I have Visio open, and AutoRecover set to every minute. However, after 10 minutes, there are no Visio files in the locations you provided above, nor are there any Visio files (.vsd, .vdx, .vsdm, .vstx, .vssx, .vsdx) anywhere in the AppData or Temp folders.

I note that the AutoRecover11.ini file does show that my test Visio file is handled by AutoRecover.

I also ran a search for all files in the AppData folder (including roaming, locallow, local) that have a modified date of today. The results produced no Visio files, nor any files that share the name of my test file. Strangely, the only file that showed up in the search is a shortcut (in the roaming folder) to my test file.

• Edited by Madiger Friday, October 25, 2019 4:09 PM additional search terms
    Friday, October 25, 2019 3:53 PM
  • Hi,

Based on my tests, when Visio open a drawing, AutoRecover11.ini contains the names of the current files handled by Autorecover and the AutoRecover files (.vsdm) that will be created in %temp% if Visio closes unexpectedly. I use Task Manager to manually end task of Viso, I find that the .vsdm included in AutoRecover11.ini is created in %temp% folder. The AutoRecover11.ini will be kept instead of being deleted.

When I reopen Visio, I see the drawing file that is automatically opened by Visio and the drawing file has "[Recovered]" as part of its file name.

As my above reply mentioned, AutoRecover files are only kept in the event the Office application being used closes unexpectedly and, when you next run the application, it loads the files for you to save to an appropriate location. If Visio closed expectedly, Visio has cleaned up its areas and deleted any temporary and AutoRecover files.

If you reopen Visio and there is no such [Recovered] drawing appearing. It means that Visio has cleaned up these temporary and AutoRecover files and you could not recover the Visio files.

If you have any updates, feel free to post back.

Best Regards,

Herb

• Marked as answer by Madiger Wednesday, November 6, 2019 1:52 AM
    Wednesday, October 30, 2019 1:59 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking the status of this issue. Do you have any update for it?

If the replies are helpful to this question, please remember to mark them as answers. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread. Thanks for your understanding.

Anything unclear or any questions, feel free to post them back to let us know. I will be glad to follow up and help you.

Best Regards,

Herb

Friday, November 1, 2019 6:06 AM
  • So the auto recover files are only available to a user if Visio crashes unexpectedly (or intentionally via a user ending the Visio task). In any other situation, the information saved by auto recover is unavailable to the user.

So I guess in my case, when Visio abruptly closed my visio file, but the visio program continued to run, I should have used task manager to force Visio to quit so that I could recover my work.

Thank you, I will keep that in mind

• Edited by Madiger Wednesday, November 6, 2019 1:52 AM
    Wednesday, November 6, 2019 1:51 AM