none
IE 11 Enterprise Mode questions RRS feed

• Question

• We have several applications that seem to have some trouble with IE 11. One of them runs on CRM4  currently, but we will be updating to CRM11 very soon.  Since there are still some compatibility issues with CRM11 and IE11 for key functions of this application, we need to know if the Enterprise Mode will also work on CRM11 the way it does with CRM4 (which is only compatible with IE8) since it is compatible with IE10.  If Enterprise Mode works to make web applications compatible with ALL older versions, this would be optimal, but I can only find documentation stating that it works to emulate IE8
    Wednesday, May 28, 2014 2:37 PM

Answers

All replies

• I blogged about this recently. http://www.billamoore.com/2014/05/15/deploying-enterprise-mode-ie11-step-step/

From my experience, you can probably have something setup and working within a half hour to begin testing your app against Enterprise Mode.

Hope that helps,

bill

Regards, Bill Moore @BMooreAtDell

Thursday, May 29, 2014 1:51 AM
  • Hi,

To know mode detais about IE 11 Enterprise Mode, you can refer to the link below:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2014/04/02/stay-up-to-date-with-enterprise-mode-for-internet-explorer-11.aspx

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, May 29, 2014 6:58 AM
  • Thank you, both, for your responses.  I read both articles before posting this question.  Unfortunately, neither of them answer the question I have posted.  The question, put more simply, was this: CRM11 is glitchy with IE 11, but works perfectly with IE 10.  Does Enterprise Mode offer backwards compatibility with ALL previous versions of IE, or only with IE8?

The reason this is critical to know, specifically, is because our agency is using SharePoint Online with Office 365, and a recent update to SharePoint has rendered it capable of functioning on ONLY IE11, and the Microsoft Technicians have been unable to pinpoint why, or help us resolve this issue.

Again, thank you, both, for your responses.  Unfortunately, neither was the answer.

Thursday, May 29, 2014 12:30 PM
  • Hi April.

IE 11 developer tools are available by hitting F12 from within the browser. You can then emulate the previous browser versions be setting the document mode under the Emulation section. This will give you some idea of how IE 11 will render for the different versions. From what I understand, IE11 EM (only) renders IE8.

bill

Thursday, May 29, 2014 1:30 PM
  • Hi,

There is no exact statement that IE Enterprise mode works to IE 7 or lower version. While, in my opinion, since Windows XP support already stoped, there is no argument to works to IE 7 and lower IE version.

Roger Lu

Sunday, June 1, 2014 8:47 AM
  • Roger,

Thank you for your response.  The question was not in regards to XP or IE 7.  All our users are on Win 7, and IE 8 and above.  The question was whether EMIE works to make IE 11 compatible with IE 9 and IE 10 in addition to IE 8.

Monday, June 2, 2014 12:40 PM
  • I read both articles before posting this question.  Unfortunately, neither of them answer the question I have posted.

In fact since they both link to the TechEd session which you probably should watch I think they both do

http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2014/2-559

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

• Marked as answer by April Hammons Monday, June 9, 2014 12:16 PM
    Monday, June 2, 2014 4:11 PM
    Answerer
  • The process for implementing Enterprise Mode for testing the scenario that you are questioning really takes less than 30 minutes. I would highly suggest that you take the time to test this in you environment. I don't think that any answer that you receive here would be accurate based on your experience with Microsoft and their inability to track down root cause. I realize that you are looking for concrete answers. Only testing this will get you those answers.

.bill

Monday, June 2, 2014 7:06 PM
  • Hi, April

I'm sorry for misundertand your meaning.

About your problem, the answer is yes. According to the contents which I provide before:

Enterprise Mode also provides some benefit for sites designed for even older versions, such as Internet Explorer 7. This is emulation, not virtualization; Enterprise Mode provides a better emulation of IE8 within IE11

Roger Lu

Thursday, June 5, 2014 8:09 AM