none
Windows 2019 RDS Licensing RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking at deploying around 8 Terminal  server across our offices. All offices are in the same domain and interconnected. At the central site I am looking at deploying the licensing server.  Am I right in thinking that I can use 1 central licensing server to allot the licenses?

Next am I also right in thinking that RDS user cals are allotted to each specific user and cannot be reallocated to another user (So not concurrent users but specific named users) and the only way to release the license would be to remove them from the AD.

We would also be looking to run MS office on each Terminal server, How does the licensing work for this, so for example if I have an office with 5 TS users do I need to buy 5 Open licenses for office and 5 RDS user cals.   (we do not use Office 365) Or can I buy an open license for 40 copies of office and 40 RDS users?

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 11:32 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Under Per User licensing, each unique human that accesses your RDS environment needs an RDS User CAL.  An RDS User CAL cannot be re-assigned to a different user until after 90 days since the last assignment of the same license except in the case of person being terminated/temporarily absent.  The above is in addition to the required Windows Server CAL.

For Office you would need a volume license version for each unique endpoint device that will be used to connect to your RDS environment and use Office.

Please see the Product Terms document for specific details.

Thanks.

-TP

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 5:06 PM
  • HI
    1.Am I right in thinking that I can use 1 central licensing server to allot the licenses?
    Yes.we can enroll w2019 rds cal on 1 central licensing server
    we can sepecify central RDlicesing server by using below domain policy for all session host.
    Computer Configuration - Policies - Administrative Templates - Windows Components - Remote Desktop Services - Remote Desktop Session Host - Licensing
    use the specified remote desktoop license servers  enable specify your central rdls server
    set the remote desktop licensing mode              enable per user

2.can they be reassigned from one user to another?"
    the only way to release the license would be to remove them from the AD”?"
    when we use w2019 rds per user cal ,the period of validity is 60 days.
    " Per User CALs cannot be revoked. This means we cannot manually release or remove the CAL after a Per User CAL is successfully issued to a domain user. This CAL will be revoked automatically after the expiration time(60 days).so delete domain user account can not release the rds per user cal
    immediately.
    if you want the rds cal release ,I suggest that you remove this user account from RDS group(managed) or "local "remote desktop users group" on session host servers if we want to reserve this account. I think this is one method to release rds per user cal for this user automatically after 60 days.
    Please refer my case link.
    Release session of RDS CAL
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/95c977c2-891f-4b86-ac00-2071ab420188/release-session-of-rds-cal?forum=winserverTS

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 4:51 AM

All replies

• Hi, for  licencing server you should create gpo to point all you RDSH servers to your RDS Licencing server and verify that you have a connexion allowed betewen those: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/16164.rds-2012-which-ports-are-used-during-deployment.aspx

for the licences office + Rds you can check on this link: https://www.mirazon.com/how-do-you-license-office-in-a-remote-desktop-environment/

"Vote or mark as answer if you think useful" "Marquer comme réponse les réponses qui ont résolu votre problème"

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 3:00 PM
  • thanks for the info, so are RDS user cals user specific? E.G can they be reassigned from one user to another?
    Tuesday, November 26, 2019 4:06 PM
  • Hi,

Under Per User licensing, each unique human that accesses your RDS environment needs an RDS User CAL.  An RDS User CAL cannot be re-assigned to a different user until after 90 days since the last assignment of the same license except in the case of person being terminated/temporarily absent.  The above is in addition to the required Windows Server CAL.

For Office you would need a volume license version for each unique endpoint device that will be used to connect to your RDS environment and use Office.

Please see the Product Terms document for specific details.

Thanks.

-TP

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 5:06 PM
  • HI
    1.Am I right in thinking that I can use 1 central licensing server to allot the licenses?
    Yes.we can enroll w2019 rds cal on 1 central licensing server
    we can sepecify central RDlicesing server by using below domain policy for all session host.
    Computer Configuration - Policies - Administrative Templates - Windows Components - Remote Desktop Services - Remote Desktop Session Host - Licensing
    use the specified remote desktoop license servers  enable specify your central rdls server
    set the remote desktop licensing mode              enable per user

2.can they be reassigned from one user to another?"
    the only way to release the license would be to remove them from the AD”?"
    when we use w2019 rds per user cal ,the period of validity is 60 days.
    " Per User CALs cannot be revoked. This means we cannot manually release or remove the CAL after a Per User CAL is successfully issued to a domain user. This CAL will be revoked automatically after the expiration time(60 days).so delete domain user account can not release the rds per user cal
    immediately.
    if you want the rds cal release ,I suggest that you remove this user account from RDS group(managed) or "local "remote desktop users group" on session host servers if we want to reserve this account. I think this is one method to release rds per user cal for this user automatically after 60 days.
    Please refer my case link.
    Release session of RDS CAL
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/95c977c2-891f-4b86-ac00-2071ab420188/release-session-of-rds-cal?forum=winserverTS

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 4:51 AM
  • HI
    Is there any progress on your question?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Saturday, November 30, 2019 4:59 AM
  • HI
    If the answer is helpful for you ,could you help me to mark as answer. 
    Microsoft values your comments, thanks for your cooperation. Thanks a lot!

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Monday, December 2, 2019 1:29 AM
  • Is there anything to help you?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Friday, December 6, 2019 5:45 AM