none
Excel - Read only file Or Password protected RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I want to create an excel file which gives the recipient the option to either add a password or open a read only copy. I am only able to create it, but when i email the file the password option gets dissolved and the file directly opens up like read only.

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 9:32 AM

All replies

• You should be able to just go: File > Info > Protect Workbook > Encrypt With Password

When you set up the password and then save the workbook, no one will be able to access it without entering the password even if you share it on your network or send it via email. 

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 6:28 PM
  • Hi,

I want to create an excel file which gives the recipient the option to either add a password or open a read only copy. I am only able to create it, but when i email the file the password option gets dissolved and the file directly opens up like read only.

Hi,

I agree with Aaron-PS.

How did you created the protected file? 

I suggest you can review the official article: Protect an Excel file. You can specify a password and lock the Excel file, this prevents other users from opening the file. And this link is also useful: Protection and security in Excel

Any updates, feel free to post back.

Regards,

Bella Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to shareexplore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019. 

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 5:39 AM