none
Enterprise mode in IE 11 and Edge not working RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm using Windows 10 and I'm trying to configure it so that when I open a certain page in Microsoft Edge, it will detect show to open it in Internet Explorer. I'm trying to do this by using Enterprise Mode. 

I read all the articles on TechNet and it seems to be configured properly, but it simply won't work! Here's what I did...I first used the Enterprise Site Tool to create my XML file, which looks like this:

<rules version="5">
      <emie>
        <domain exclude="false">helpdeskgeek.com</domain>
      </emie>
      <docMode>
        <domain docMode="10">www.online-tech-tips.com</domain>
      </docMode>
    </rules>

Next, I went into the registry and change these two settings:

1. User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\Use the Enterprise Mode IE website list 

2. User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Microsoft Edge\Allow you to configure the Enterprise Site List

For both, I entered the local path to my XML file. Here is where I think something is wrong. This is the path I am using:

file:///c:\\Users\\Aseem\\Documents\\list.xml

When I type this into IE or Edge, it opens the file just fine, but like I said, when I visit the webpages in Edge, it just loads them normally. It does not give me a message to open the pages in IE. 

What am I doing wrong? I restarted the computer and logged out of the user account after making the changes, but still no luck. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

Aseem

Monday, November 9, 2015 3:07 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Firstly, you would better to check the link below to know what is Enterprise mode.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn640687.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

If my understanding is right, you want to open Internet Explorer automatically when the Edge open one specific website. However, from the link above, enterprise mode is just a compatibility mode which lets websites render using a modified browser configuration. You are not able to use enterprise mode to realize it.

I consider your requirement is related to the code developing, I suggest you ask your requirement in MSDN forum.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/home?category=iedevelopment

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. 

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards

Simon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 9:10 AM

All replies

• bump! Anyone can help!?
    Tuesday, November 10, 2015 7:44 PM
  • Hi,

Firstly, you would better to check the link below to know what is Enterprise mode.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn640687.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

If my understanding is right, you want to open Internet Explorer automatically when the Edge open one specific website. However, from the link above, enterprise mode is just a compatibility mode which lets websites render using a modified browser configuration. You are not able to use enterprise mode to realize it.

I consider your requirement is related to the code developing, I suggest you ask your requirement in MSDN forum.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/home?category=iedevelopment

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. 

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards

Simon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 9:10 AM
  • Hi Aseem,

Did you ever get this working?  I am trying the same thing.   I have tried putting the xml file on a network share and a website.   Edge just ignores the site list and opens the website.  No redirection to IE.

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 7:37 PM