none
I need to install internet explorer 8 or 7 not 9 for windows 7

Question

• Our office programs software is not compatible with windows 7 ( my new computer has) and can't find that windows 7 works with other internet explorers

Tuesday, April 05, 2011 7:57 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for the post!

You can download Internet Explorer 8 for your Windows 7. Also, using the Compatibility View if you have some compatibility issue. Click Tools - Compatibility View Settings.

Since you mentioned some programs is not compatible with Windows 7, which version of Windows 7 are you running? If it's Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate, you can download the Windows XP mode to run those programs.

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, April 07, 2011 7:00 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for the post!

You can download Internet Explorer 8 for your Windows 7. Also, using the Compatibility View if you have some compatibility issue. Click Tools - Compatibility View Settings.

Since you mentioned some programs is not compatible with Windows 7, which version of Windows 7 are you running? If it's Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate, you can download the Windows XP mode to run those programs.

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, April 07, 2011 7:00 AM
  • You can download Internet Explorer 8 for your Windows 7. Also, using the Compatibility View if you have some compatibility issue. Click Tools - Compatibility View Settings.

Well actually no you can't!  If you go there you see ONLY the following:

• Windows XP 32-bit
    • Windows XP 64-bit
    • Windows Vista 32-bit
    • Windows Vista 64-bit
    • Windows Server 2003 32-bit
    • Windows Server 2003 64-bit
    • Windows Server 2008 32-bit
    • Windows Server 2008 64-bit

Attempting to use the Vista download fails - not supported on this OS.  Trying W2K8.

Jay

Tuesday, May 03, 2011 5:00 PM
  • Just a note from a frustrated user: answer here is wrong: I CANNOT download IE 8 for Windows 7. At the download page, I can select anything Vista, XP or Server 2003 related, but that's it. And, of course, none of those install on 7 (you only get a: this application is not compatible with Windows 7 or some such very useful message). Would have been too simple, I guess. I'm going to try the XP mode, but my hunch is: if it's anything as precises as the first solution, I might as well kiss my need goodbye!
    Friday, July 29, 2011 4:58 PM
  • I'm pretty sure you can go into the Control Panel, Programs, then Uninstall Internet Explorer 9 from there and it'll revert to IE8. Make sure you back up your favorites and any other settings you'll want to hang onto as it'll get rid of them all.

I believe the reason you can't download IE8 is because it's already built into Windows 7 by default and installing IE9 doesn't completely get rid of it in a matter of speaking.

• Proposed as answer by Ampetine Friday, July 29, 2011 5:09 PM
    Friday, July 29, 2011 5:09 PM
  • Hi,

To install Internet Explorer 8 on your computer, you need to have a 233MHz processor or higher. You need to have 512MB of RAM on your system. Installation of Internet Explorer 8 on Windows 7 requires 70MB of free hard disk space. You also need to have a high resolution monitor with 256 colors. If you are using CD for its installation, you need to have a CD ROM drive.

Get more information to install IE 8 on windows 7 :

http://browser.iyogi.com/internet-explorer/internet-explorer-8-for-windows-7.html

Hope this information helps you.

Friday, August 12, 2011 9:59 AM
  • Have you found a fix? I have the same exact problem.
    Friday, August 12, 2011 3:18 PM
  • THIS ANSWER, TOO, IS INCORRECT... I HAVE BEEN TRYING, FOR DAYS, TO DOWNLOAD IE8 TO WINDOWS 7 (WHICH CURRENTLY HAS IE9)... IT DOES NOT WORK... ONCE YOU UN-INSTALL IE9, YOU HAVE NO BROWSER TO GET YOU ENABLED TO DOWNLOAD IE8... WINDOWS 7 MAY HAVE HAD IE8 INSTALLED ON IT ORIGINALLY, I DO NOT REMEMBER, BUT I SURE DO KNOW THAT I WISH I COULD GET BACK TO IE8... IE9 STINKS TOTALLY!!! IF ANYONE FIGURES IT OUT, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE!!!  Rick
    Sunday, August 21, 2011 12:57 PM
  • ONCE YOU UN-INSTALL IE9, YOU HAVE NO BROWSER TO GET YOU ENABLED TO DOWNLOAD IE8...

@ Rick

Sounds like you're not uninstalling IE9, only unchecking it from W7's list of components?  Provided you installed  IE9, e.g. assuming it is not already imbedded in your OS, you can uninstall the update which you used to do that.   I don't know if it matters when you re-check that IE item in the list of components.  Obviously if you managed to uninstall it while it was unchecked you would expect to see a different label on that check box after that.   ; )

The only time you may need to download IE8 for W7 is when you are using W7's XP mode, as was mentioned in the post which was marked Answered for this thread.

BTW did you make any effort to see if your problem apps would work in a compatibility mode or by other User-Agent spoofing?   That could be the simplest solution for such cases.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, August 21, 2011 1:36 PM
    Answerer
  • If you try to remove IE 9 it just removes IE 9. It does not put any IE back. I know, I have hardware that is not compatible with IE 9 and tried removing it thinking it would go back to IE 8. Didn't happen just removed IE 9. Since I didn't have IE 8 to install, I had to reload IE9.
    Sunday, August 28, 2011 3:10 AM
  • Thanks. The problem I am having is trying to get Explorer loaded WITHOUT THE SVG  I am not able to get it off
    Friday, June 08, 2012 7:16 PM
  • Thanks for your help. Iwill try again another day.
    Friday, June 08, 2012 7:18 PM
  • Thanks. FYI I have another computer running XP and was able to insall Explorer 8 with no problem.
    Friday, June 08, 2012 7:19 PM
  • THIS ANSWER, TOO, IS INCORRECT... I HAVE BEEN TRYING, FOR DAYS, TO DOWNLOAD IE8 TO WINDOWS 7 (WHICH CURRENTLY HAS IE9)... IT DOES NOT WORK... ONCE YOU UN-INSTALL IE9, YOU HAVE NO BROWSER TO GET YOU ENABLED TO DOWNLOAD IE8... WINDOWS 7 MAY HAVE HAD IE8 INSTALLED ON IT ORIGINALLY, I DO NOT REMEMBER, BUT I SURE DO KNOW THAT I WISH I COULD GET BACK TO IE8... IE9 STINKS TOTALLY!!! IF ANYONE FIGURES IT OUT, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE!!!  Rick

I had the same problem you are talking about and the solution is pretty easy.

Windows 7 have IE8 by default. If you have IE9 is because windows update install this update for you. You need to remove ONLY THE UPDATE and the pc will restart and will have back IE 8.

Please do not remove IE9 from the "turn windows features on and off" in the add/remove programs windows. If you remove IE9 from here, you will have an OS without IE.

If this happens, just add IE 9 in the features and remove the IE 9 update. This works like a charm.

Regards,

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 6:37 PM
  • Hi

I purchased a new PC which came with Windows 7 64 bit and IE9.  I absolutely hate IE9 and want to go back to IE8.  I am also experiencing occasional screen freezing when opening multiple sites and video card recovery errors on you tube etc which I don't get on Firefox.  I read through this and the issue here is that there was no IE8 to start with so no unistall option for IE9 to roll back.  I can't work out how to uninstall IE9 and install IE8 instead.  I suppose I could start using Firefox, and it may come to that, but I would really like to get IE8.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

Thursday, September 06, 2012 11:22 AM
  • I read through this and the issue here is that there was no IE8 to start with so no unistall option for IE9 to roll back.

You read it but did you understand it?   What you are describing may be theoretically a possibility but so far I haven't seen it in actual fact.   E.g. so far OEM packagers seem to have gone the route of leaving the updates they applied available to be uninstalled but they might have packaged the OS in a way that would have hidden all the updates they applied or otherwise left you no chance to change what they provided.  In that case you would have to buy your own copy of W7 and install it yourself, ignoring whatever you currently have.   Have you asked your (undisclosed?) OEM for assistance about this, e.g. to confirm that assumption?

HTH

Robert
    ---

Thursday, September 06, 2012 3:38 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi all, reading the post with great interest. i am also having this problem. i had a Laptop with win 7, pro. it had some problems that i needed to do a clean install. on the reinstall it loaded IE 9 and i did not realize it. user started having problems with a program that has know issues with IE 9 and i wanted to roll back to IE8 (thinking it was previously installed and that i must have not been paying attention and upgraded to 9). took IE 9 off the PC and IE8 did not kick in like it should have so can only conclude that IE 8 was not installe previously.

went to the internet on another PC downloaded several versions of IE8 (including XP, 2003, Vista) and tried installing them, no luck there either. the only option was to go back to IE 9. i'm sure if i reformat again and find a disk that has IE 8 it will put it on there but this darn thing took days to do because i'm pressed for time and i don't want to do it again. so the question is, does anyone know of a location to find IE 8 for Windows 7?

here is the site i downloaded from http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/downloads/ie-8 and these do not work.

thank you in advance for any assistance.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 10:25 PM
  • ONCE YOU UN-INSTALL IE9, YOU HAVE NO BROWSER TO GET YOU ENABLED TO DOWNLOAD IE8...

@ Rick

Sounds like you're not uninstalling IE9, only unchecking it from W7's list of components?  Provided you installed  IE9, e.g. assuming it is not already imbedded in your OS, you can uninstall the update which you used to do that.   I don't know if it matters when you re-check that IE item in the list of components.  Obviously if you managed to uninstall it while it was unchecked you would expect to see a different label on that check box after that.   ; )

The only time you may need to download IE8 for W7 is when you are using W7's XP mode, as was mentioned in the post which was marked Answered for this thread.

BTW did you make any effort to see if your problem apps would work in a compatibility mode or by other User-Agent spoofing?   That could be the simplest solution for such cases.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Robert:  What is user-agent spoofing?  I have clients who work extensively with a program that uses IE for many things, and I have been unable to roll back IE9 on Win7.  When I look through Windows updates, there is NO reference to an update to IE9 (as I've seen before in Vista, et al).  In fact, by reviewing the first update history, the computer seems to have been initially configured with IE9 (therefore nothing to roll back to)--it shows as having installed (I think--I'm not in front of it now, but it definitely did not say "updated" or anything like that) IE9 on the very first date any updates were applied, which is also the date the client purchased the computer.  I am going to check the compaibility mode with client tomorrow, but can you tell me a bit more about user-agent spoofing?  I am going to search the term in the meantime.

I think this is a real problem that both 3rd party software vendors as well as MS should address!  As others have mentioned, I ran into the same problems of not being able to select Win7 OS and selecting Vista 64bit (running Win7 Pro 64) but getting the "helpful" "not compatible with this OS" message.  

Thanks!

• Edited by wendy12x12 Wednesday, October 24, 2012 4:33 PM
    Wednesday, October 24, 2012 4:28 PM