Sharepoint Server 2016 - On Premise External Sharing? RRS feed

• Question

• I had seen External Sharing as a new feature that was suppose to be available for SharePoint 2016 on premise? How do I enable it, I have created a brand new server and migrated over our 2013 data. Configured everything, but I still cannot share files to external users. 

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 6:39 PM

Answers

• You can create and vote on issues at sharepoint.uservoice.com. The SharePoint PG monitors that and is fairly responsive. Make sure to share your idea with others so it can be voted up.

A hybrid OneDrive approach would be the easiest option for sharing ODfB content. That of course wouldn't help with standard SharePoint sites, although you could look into hybridization there, as well, placing SharePoint sites that need to share with external users on SPO while keeping the remainder on-prem.

An on-prem site would handle external sharing no different today. You could use standard Active Directory accounts and hand those out to non-employees. This requires a Windows User CAL or External Connector (last I looked, that evens out at ~60 users). On the SharePoint side, no licensing is required.

You could also federate using Azure ACS and develop custom code to handle sharing with accounts such as Microsoft, Facebook, etc. This is a fairly high development investment, though.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, May 12, 2016 1:52 PM

All replies

• There was never plans to bring that on-prem. The 'sharing' options have not changed between 2013 and 2016.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 6:59 PM
  • Rather than just saying nope, lets talk about solutions. Is there a way for people to vote and tell Microsoft please add this as a feature in an update? 

Would a hybrid one drive approach be the best bet for that then?

Or how would an on-premise site handle external sharing?

Thursday, May 12, 2016 1:11 PM
  • You can create and vote on issues at sharepoint.uservoice.com. The SharePoint PG monitors that and is fairly responsive. Make sure to share your idea with others so it can be voted up.

A hybrid OneDrive approach would be the easiest option for sharing ODfB content. That of course wouldn't help with standard SharePoint sites, although you could look into hybridization there, as well, placing SharePoint sites that need to share with external users on SPO while keeping the remainder on-prem.

An on-prem site would handle external sharing no different today. You could use standard Active Directory accounts and hand those out to non-employees. This requires a Windows User CAL or External Connector (last I looked, that evens out at ~60 users). On the SharePoint side, no licensing is required.

You could also federate using Azure ACS and develop custom code to handle sharing with accounts such as Microsoft, Facebook, etc. This is a fairly high development investment, though.

Trevor Seward

Thursday, May 12, 2016 1:52 PM