none
This file couldn't be downloaded strange problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I use internet explorer 11 on Windows 10 16229 and older for one web application. Download in internet explorer 11 works on every other page without problem.

My problem is that when I download file from my web application(file is without extension but it is one PDF) I have problem "This file couldn't be downloaded ".Strange is that the file was regulary downloaded without any problem in Downloads folder and I can open downloaded file directly when I go to that Download folder but if I after download in internet explorer 11 click Open button(directly in internet explorer) nothing heppens accept behind message in view downloads IE option "This file couldn't be downloaded ".

I was delete internet explorer in features at all and then activate again, delete my windows profile and create again but problem is still here.

On windows 7 with internet explorer 11 when I click open on downloaded file without extension it is open one window where I choose witch program I can use for open that file(adobe, internet explorer, word, excel...).

Sorry about my bad english.

Monday, October 23, 2017 12:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If possible include links to websites that you are having problems with your questions... that way we can visit the same site as you to do some tests.

MSIE browsers use MIME-Type sniffing. It is unwise not to specify an extension for a file that you stream back to the client.

To debug request and response headers you need to use the Networking tab of the Dev tool (f12) . Press the Start button on the Networking tab to record the network traffic.

Include the response headers with your question... if the content-length does match the file size, then you may be using response.end I/o response.close() in your server side code.

PDF documents are opened by an ActiveX control in IE, usually Adobe PDF reader if it is installed and set as the default program for PDF files. Use Tools>Manage Addons>Show all addons to manage the state (enabled/disabled) and to determine the version of your installed ActiveX components like Adobe PDF reader.

In turn, IE's settings for ActiveX filtering (tools>ActiveX filtering) can prevent pdf documents from being rendered. see https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/ie/2011/05/02/activex-filtering-for-developers/ . Check that you do not have IE's ActiveX filtering turned on for your site.

ActiveX controls are also subject to IE's security zone settings...use the File>Properties menu in IE to find out which IE security zone you have mapped to.

On Windows 10, Edge, you need to allow localhost loopback on about:flags if you are developing on localhost.

If this issue has just appeared recently then it is likely that you have turned on ActiveX filtering, or the security zone mapping of the parent and source sites have changed. Ensure you have set your IE security zones to the factory/company defaults, when testing -

Internet Options>Security tab, click "Reset all zones to default".

There is also a setting... Internet Options>Advanced tab, uncheck "Do not save encrypted files to disk"... that could be blocking https downloads.

Depending on the version and vendor of your PDF Reader, it may also have settings in its control panel that affect how pdf links are opened in the browser. eg. Adobe Reader 12 and earlier used the Adobe PDF link helper BHO... you should upgrade your PDF reader to its latest version and install both the x86 and x64 bit versions.

Regards.

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. 

Rob^_^

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 7:46 AM