Server Error in ECP when using OWA 'Options' RRS feed

• Question

• Users are receiving an ECP error when trying to change their password, set an automatic reply, or do anything under the "options" menu when logged into OWA. Below is the error log I pulled. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Server Error in '/ecp' Application.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Configuration Error
    Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Exchange.Diagnostics, Version=14.1.270.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)

Source Error:

Line 83:         <!-- <add assembly="Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory, Version=14.1.270.1, Culture=neutral, publicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" /> -->
    Line 84:         <!-- <add assembly="Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Common, Version=14.01.214.0, Culture=neutral, publicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" /> -->
    Line 85:         <add assembly="Microsoft.Exchange.Diagnostics, Version=14.1.270.1, Culture=neutral, publicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" />
    Line 86:       </assemblies>
    Line 87:       <expressionBuilders>

Source File: C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\ClientAccess\ecp\web.config    Line: 85

Assembly Load Trace: The following information can be helpful to determine why the assembly 'Microsoft.Exchange.Diagnostics, Version=14.1.270.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' could not be loaded.

=== Pre-bind state information ===
    LOG: User = NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    LOG: DisplayName = Microsoft.Exchange.Diagnostics, Version=14.1.270.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35
     (Fully-specified)
    LOG: Appbase = file:///C:/Program Files/Microsoft/Exchange Server/V14/ClientAccess/ecp/
    LOG: Initial PrivatePath = C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\ClientAccess\ecp\bin
    Calling assembly : (Unknown).
    ===
    LOG: This bind starts in default load context.
    LOG: Using application configuration file: C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\ClientAccess\ecp\web.config
    LOG: Using host configuration file: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\Aspnet.config
    LOG: Using machine configuration file from C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\config\machine.config.
    LOG: Post-policy reference: Microsoft.Exchange.Diagnostics, Version=14.1.270.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Program Files/Microsoft/Exchange Server/V14/bin/Microsoft.Exchange.Diagnostics.dll.
    WRN: Comparing the assembly name resulted in the mismatch: Minor Version
    ERR: Failed to complete setup of assembly (hr = 0x80131040). Probing terminated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.5446; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.5420

-Jason
    Sunday, July 24, 2011 11:27 PM

Answers

• Hi Jason,

Please check your web.config file.

Check whether you have web.config.bak or web.config.nul file.

You can rename web.config file to web.config.old and change web.config.bak or web.config.nul file back to web.config , afterwards, have a try.

Also please try to disable SSL on Default Web Site.

Please just have a try.

Best Regards!
    • Marked as answer by Rowen-Xu Wednesday, July 27, 2011 6:50 AM
    Monday, July 25, 2011 2:07 AM
  • Figured it out. After using the last config file I sent over, I change the Authentication to both "basic" and "annonymous" and now ECP works like a charm!

Thank you Rowen-Xu for the suggestion on changing the web.config files around, that really helped me to locate the issue and resolve it!

-Jason
    • Marked as answer by jmaeser82 Tuesday, July 26, 2011 12:48 PM
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 12:48 PM

All replies

• When did this start?
    Sunday, July 24, 2011 11:36 PM
  • Hi Jason,

Please check your web.config file.

Check whether you have web.config.bak or web.config.nul file.

You can rename web.config file to web.config.old and change web.config.bak or web.config.nul file back to web.config , afterwards, have a try.

Also please try to disable SSL on Default Web Site.

Please just have a try.

Best Regards!
    • Marked as answer by Rowen-Xu Wednesday, July 27, 2011 6:50 AM
    Monday, July 25, 2011 2:07 AM
  • I believe it's been happening for quite a while. I came into this company with this existing exchange server. The overall state of the server when I got here was a mess. I've been able to fix all of the current issues with this server with the exception of this one minor issue. It does not effect day to day operations, so it has been last on my list of items to look into.
    -Jason
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 12:17 PM
  • SSL is disabled. I have 4 web.config files

I changed the current one to web.config.old

The second one when I changed it to web.config I got the same exact error

The third one one changed resulted in whenever the options menu would be used, it would just log the user back out.

The fourth one changed resulted in the following error:

Server Error in '/ecp' Application.

Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Exchange.Diagnostics, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Exchange.Diagnostics, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Assembly Load Trace: The following information can be helpful to determine why the assembly 'Microsoft.Exchange.Diagnostics, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' could not be loaded.

=== Pre-bind state information ===
    LOG: User = NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    LOG: DisplayName = Microsoft.Exchange.Diagnostics, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35
     (Fully-specified)
    LOG: Appbase = file:///C:/Program Files/Microsoft/Exchange Server/V14/ClientAccess/ecp/
    LOG: Initial PrivatePath = C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\ClientAccess\ecp\bin
    Calling assembly : Microsoft.Exchange.Management.ControlPanel, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35.
    ===
    LOG: This bind starts in default load context.
    LOG: Using application configuration file: C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\ClientAccess\ecp\web.config
    LOG: Using host configuration file: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\Aspnet.config
    LOG: Using machine configuration file from C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\config\machine.config.
    LOG: Post-policy reference: Microsoft.Exchange.Diagnostics, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/Temporary ASP.NET Files/ecp/38bdf9b5/bf781c55/Microsoft.Exchange.Diagnostics.DLL.
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/Temporary ASP.NET Files/ecp/38bdf9b5/bf781c55/Microsoft.Exchange.Diagnostics/Microsoft.Exchange.Diagnostics.DLL.
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Program Files/Microsoft/Exchange Server/V14/ClientAccess/ecp/bin/Microsoft.Exchange.Diagnostics.DLL.
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Program Files/Microsoft/Exchange Server/V14/ClientAccess/ecp/bin/Microsoft.Exchange.Diagnostics/Microsoft.Exchange.Diagnostics.DLL.
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/Temporary ASP.NET Files/ecp/38bdf9b5/bf781c55/Microsoft.Exchange.Diagnostics.EXE.
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/Temporary ASP.NET Files/ecp/38bdf9b5/bf781c55/Microsoft.Exchange.Diagnostics/Microsoft.Exchange.Diagnostics.EXE.
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Program Files/Microsoft/Exchange Server/V14/ClientAccess/ecp/bin/Microsoft.Exchange.Diagnostics.EXE.
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Program Files/Microsoft/Exchange Server/V14/ClientAccess/ecp/bin/Microsoft.Exchange.Diagnostics/Microsoft.Exchange.Diagnostics.EXE.

Stack Trace:

[FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Exchange.Diagnostics, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.]
      Microsoft.Exchange.Management.ControlPanel.Global.Application_Start(Object sender, EventArgs e) +0

[HttpException (0x80004005): Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Exchange.Diagnostics, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.]
      System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.EnsureAppStartCalledForIntegratedMode(HttpContext context, HttpApplication app) +4179473
      System.Web.HttpApplication.RegisterEventSubscriptionsWithIIS(IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context, MethodInfo[] handlers) +205
      System.Web.HttpApplication.InitSpecial(HttpApplicationState state, MethodInfo[] handlers, IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context) +336
      System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.GetSpecialApplicationInstance(IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context) +350
      System.Web.Hosting.PipelineRuntime.InitializeApplication(IntPtr appContext) +382

[HttpException (0x80004005): Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Exchange.Diagnostics, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.]
      System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +11318198
      System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureFirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +88
      System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestNotificationPrivate(IIS7WorkerRequest wr, HttpContext context) +4348404

-Jason
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 12:29 PM
  • Figured it out. After using the last config file I sent over, I change the Authentication to both "basic" and "annonymous" and now ECP works like a charm!

Thank you Rowen-Xu for the suggestion on changing the web.config files around, that really helped me to locate the issue and resolve it!

-Jason
    • Marked as answer by jmaeser82 Tuesday, July 26, 2011 12:48 PM
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 12:48 PM
  • Hi Jason,

I've resolve it by editing web.config in /ecp directory according to this MSKB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2020789.

R.*
    • Proposed as answer by R.Vojtek Friday, August 5, 2011 9:00 AM
    Friday, August 5, 2011 9:00 AM