none
2016 VM Recovery from WinBack files RRS feed

• Question

• I am try to recover a VM from what appears to be a full image backup, but I am not presented the option when I do a repair; it is greyed out. If I do a "files" recovery, there really isn't anything there; but the main VHDX file is 41GBs; yet there are two others and a lot of xml files. The following are the folders and files in the main backup area. From these, how do I recover the VM?

Friday, June 14, 2019 10:10 PM

Answers

• Yea, it should not have come up RAW. So the backup is also corrupt. As far as I know there's no reliable way to convert RAW back to something useable.

As a test try making a full backup of another one, copy off and mount the vhdx and it should work as it did for me.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by AlaskanRogue Monday, June 17, 2019 10:30 AM
    Sunday, June 16, 2019 12:10 AM
  • You could give 7-Zip a try, it can browse through vhdx files, but if Windows is reporting the disk as RAW it’s not a good sign.

There are also third party software (for example: File Scavenger ) that ”might” be able to repair, but it may also be a long shot.

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Sunday, June 16, 2019 12:18 AM

All replies

• Hello,

When using Windows Server Backup to restore a Hyper-V virtual machine, you should use the Hyper-V restore option:

You will have three (3) types of restore options for virtual machines:

Recover to original location:
    This scenario is suitable to use when the original host is still available. This is the most simple method, VMs will be restored to the original host and we don’t need to re-create VMs or reinstall Hyper-V.

Recover to alternate location:
    This scenario is suitable to use when the original host is not available anymore. The Administrator can restore VMs and register it to other available Hyper-V hosts.

Copy to folder:
    This scenario is used when we don’t have another Hyper-V hosts. It will recover the virtual hard disks of the VMs as files that we can use to re-create VMs after reinstalling Hyper-V.

Best regards,
    Leon

Friday, June 14, 2019 10:23 PM
  • Leon, thanks for the suggestion, but that is the option that is greyed out.

Friday, June 14, 2019 10:42 PM
  • Did you perform a "Full server" backup of the Hyper-V host, or the Hyper-V guest?

You can also restore by using the Applications option, you should get the Hyper-V option there if the Hyper-V VSS writer is registered on the server.

Back up the virtual machines by using Windows Server Backup

• When you perform a backup of the virtual machines, you must back up all volumes that host files for the virtual machine, including the InitialStore.xml file (in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Hyper-V, by default) and the volume(s) containing the VHD(s) and configuration XML files. For example, if the virtual machine configuration files are stored on the D: volume, and the virtual machine virtual hard disk (VHD) files are stored on the E: volume, and InitialStore.xml file is stored on the C: volume, you must back up the C:, D: and E: volumes.
    • Virtual machines that do not have Integration Services installed will be put in a saved state while the VSS snapshot is created.

• Virtual machines that are running operating systems that do not support VSS, such as Microsoft Windows 2000 or Windows XP, will be put in a saved state while the VSS snapshot is created.

• Virtual machines that contain dynamic disks (not dynamically expanding) must be backed up offline.
    Note: Windows Server Backup does not support backing up Hyper-V virtual machines on Cluster Shared Volumes (CSV volumes).

Restore virtual machines by using Windows Server Backup

To restore the virtual machines, follow these steps:
    1. Start Windows Server Backup in Administrative Tools.
    2. On the Actions menu, click Recover.
    3. Select the server that you want to recover data from, and then click Next.
    4. Select the date and time that you want to restore from, and then click Next.
    5. Select the Applications recovery type, and then click Next.
    6. Select Hyper-V, and then click Next.
    7. Select the restore location, and then click Next.
    8. Click Recover to start the restore process.
    Note All volumes that host files for the virtual machine will be restored. Individual virtual machines cannot be restored by using Windows Server Backup. 

Virtual machines that contain two or more snapshots will not be restored. To work around this issue, follow these steps:
    1. Start Hyper-V Manager in Administrative Tools.
    2. Delete the virtual machine that was not restored.
    3. Start Windows Server Backup in Administrative Tools.
    4. On the Actions menu, click Recover.
    5. Select the server that you want to recover data from, and then click Next.
    6. Select the date and time that you want to restore from, and then click Next.
    7. Select the Files and folders recovery type, and then click Next.
    8. Select the directory where the snapshots are stored, and then click Next.

Note By default, the snapshots are located in the following directory:
      C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Hyper-V\Snapshots
    9. Select the location where the snapshots should be restored, and then click Next.
    10. Click Recover to start the restore process.
    11. After the restore has finished, perform another restore. However, use the Applications recovery type, and select Hyper-V to correctly restore the virtual machines.

• Edited by Leon Laude Friday, June 14, 2019 11:15 PM
    Friday, June 14, 2019 10:55 PM
  • It appears that there were eight VMs which were doing their own backups into a common drive. The host was being backed up, but I have not discover which app was doing it. The host is gone. I made another post trying to determine what it was; it doesn't appear to be WinBack.

Friday, June 14, 2019 11:16 PM
  • Try booting the installation media, Repair your computer\Troubleshoot\Image recovery

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, June 14, 2019 11:29 PM
  • It does indeed look like a system image, perhaps of your Hyper-V host. The only way to restore it is to boot up into WindowsPE and restore from there (as Dave mentioned).

Friday, June 14, 2019 11:37 PM
  • Although I am using setup, I am not being posed with a repair option at the beginning. Is the a command prompt approach to force repair? 
    Saturday, June 15, 2019 12:27 AM
  • Although I am using setup, I am not being posed with a repair option at the beginning. Is the a command prompt approach to force repair? 

You can initiate the repair here.

Saturday, June 15, 2019 12:35 AM
  • I am not getting that screen. I have seen it before. Hence my question.
    Saturday, June 15, 2019 12:38 AM
  • Boot the install media, then repair on second screen

Saturday, June 15, 2019 12:45 AM
  • Are you saying to create a new VM?
    Saturday, June 15, 2019 12:51 AM
  • Yes, new VM. These are the steps to perform a bare metal recovery.

Boot the installation media, Repair your computer\Troubleshoot\Image recovery

then select system image to use.

Saturday, June 15, 2019 12:54 AM
  • I created a new VM and started to restore an image to end up searching for the image at shared network folder. Although I use the same path as I would using WinBack, it doesn't find an image. Do I need to go further down the path? I have previously to no avail.
    Saturday, June 15, 2019 1:14 AM
  • I don't need to really restore the VM. I just need to access files that were on its primary drive. I have tried attaching the VHDX with no success.

Saturday, June 15, 2019 1:16 AM
  • Can't say, maybe you drilled in too deep? My test backup is on D:\ and when I got to Select a system image it searched local drives and found it. Might also check the \Logs to see if there were errors.

Saturday, June 15, 2019 1:23 AM
  • I don't need to really restore the VM. I just need to access files that were on its primary drive. I have tried attaching the VHDX with no success.

Let me try it.

Saturday, June 15, 2019 1:31 AM
  • Yes, it works. I add the disk to another 2019 VM, then all I had to do was assign it a drive letter in Disk Management.

Saturday, June 15, 2019 1:40 AM
  • You assigned a drive letter to what?

Saturday, June 15, 2019 1:42 AM
  • You assigned a drive letter to what?

To the new disk I attached to VM offline, booted it and assign drive letter in Disk Management

Saturday, June 15, 2019 1:43 AM
  • I said "new disk" when I meant to say I attached the vhdx I copied out of the backup to an offline 2019 VM. booted it and assign drive letter in Disk Management and files from C:\ of backup VM are there.

(please don't forget to mark helpful replies as answer)

Saturday, June 15, 2019 1:50 AM
  • What happened? Were you successful in getting files?

Saturday, June 15, 2019 6:29 PM
  • Dave,

I actually had tried to attach all three of the VDHX files individually to the VM, but encounter non-readability errors.

Was the file you attached a standalone? I have done that many times. If you look at the second screen clip, you can see that there are 3 VDHX files and a ton of XML files, with files the parent folder and in it's sub-folders. It appears the WinBack broke the running VDHX down into various pieces.

Saturday, June 15, 2019 11:49 PM
  • I just grabbed the 17 gig file here and attached it to another VM

Saturday, June 15, 2019 11:56 PM
  • The other two vhdx are probably the system reserved and the recovery partition

Saturday, June 15, 2019 11:59 PM
  • This what I am seeing after attaching mine, using Disk Manager and trying to access with File Explorer.

Sunday, June 16, 2019 12:05 AM
  • Yea, it should not have come up RAW. So the backup is also corrupt. As far as I know there's no reliable way to convert RAW back to something useable.

As a test try making a full backup of another one, copy off and mount the vhdx and it should work as it did for me.

Sunday, June 16, 2019 12:10 AM
  • You could give 7-Zip a try, it can browse through vhdx files, but if Windows is reporting the disk as RAW it’s not a good sign.

There are also third party software (for example: File Scavenger ) that ”might” be able to repair, but it may also be a long shot.

Sunday, June 16, 2019 12:18 AM
  • I successfully made a VDHX copy of an operational VM and was able to attach it. RAW as not present.

I guess that is the end of the road. Thanks Leon and Dave.

Sunday, June 16, 2019 12:45 AM
  • Sounds good, you're welcome.

Sunday, June 16, 2019 3:47 AM
  • Hi ,

You could mark the useful reply as answer if you want to end this thread up.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Monday, June 17, 2019 4:03 AM