Windows Store broken RRS feed

• Question

• This is really annoying, but Windows Store stopped working. Already tried all solutions, from registering, unregistering, wsreset, sfc, dism restore-health, in-situ upgrade, creating a new user, and nothing works. This is totally not acceptable, something must be very wrong for not having a solution for this, besides reinstalling from scratch.

In my view, I can see the Windows Store, didn't register its url protocol, (all ms-microsoft-store: uses fails), and the problem seems to be on DCOM, with the following error:

"Unable to start a DCOM Server: Microsoft.WindowsStore_11906.1001.24.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe!App.AppXhqern91xdfs9nhcd85e2vgmtzqt3xcbq.mca as Unavailable/Unavailable. The error:
    "2147942405"
    Happened while starting this command:
    "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsStore_11906.1001.24.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\WinStore.App.exe" -ServerName:App.AppXc75wvwned5vhz4xyxxecvgdjhdkgsdza.mca"

All folders have the correct permissions. And I simply refuse to make a clean start, this is a work computer with lots of time spent on configuring and setting up everything.

Windows version: 10.0.18362.267

Best regards,

Daniel Santana

• Edited by dgsantana Friday, August 9, 2019 2:28 PM
    Friday, August 9, 2019 2:23 PM

Answers

• I would like to point that none of the information online nor any MS Troubleshooter could solve the problem. And for me reinstalling clean wasn't an option.

The problem was a "simple" permissions on a WindowsApp folder, that for unknown reasons lost all permissions on the files and the folder it self was also with wrong permissions.

The folder in question was the "Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.2.1_2.1.26424.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe" which had missing Users group permissions, and all files lost permissions and only TrustedInstaller had access. Causing of course problems when apps (in this case the MS Store) want to use the .NET libs.

For anyone in the future that as problems opening MS Store or other UWP Apps, please verify your inner WindowsApps folders and files permissions, because Repair Upgrades/Reinstall won't solve this, and you will most like go with the clean reinstall folowing information online with no need to do that.

Best regards,

Daniel Santana

• Marked as answer by dgsantana Tuesday, September 10, 2019 8:23 PM
    Tuesday, September 10, 2019 8:23 PM

All replies

• error 2147942405 = ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED
    so some permission is still wrong.
    Sunday, August 11, 2019 5:13 AM
  • Done it, and it didn't solve. Created a new user, also didn't solve.
    Sunday, August 11, 2019 10:51 PM
  • Yup, until that I got it, and I even used Process Monitor to try and <g class="gr_ gr_13 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del" data-gr-id="13" id="13">pin point</g> what permissions where bad, with no luck, nothing appeared, neither in the registry nor in the file systems. Also tried to debug the Windows Store (I'm a programmer), but since it just fails to start couldn't do that also.

• Edited by dgsantana Sunday, August 11, 2019 10:55 PM
    Sunday, August 11, 2019 10:53 PM
  • Hi Daniel,

If repair upgrade is still no help, I afraid system restore or system reset is the final method.

Restore system to previous healthy time point

Or Reset this PC, Keep my files, check result.

Note backup your important data.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 12, 2019 7:04 AM
  • That is what I find weird. That only a full reinstall/reset would work. All other programs work, I use Visual Studio, VSCode, Blender, 3ds Max, Houdini, Unity, Unreal Engine, Steam, Fork, GitHub Desktop, Firefox and the list could go on. How can a "simple" UWP App not work or doesn't have "simple" way to fix or at least get more information then just a error code without even saying where the error occurs. Has you can imagine, reinstalling and configuring everything means me loosing money with a lot of hours lost (I'm on a very slow connection) on this, all because of a core windows app not working.

Regards,

Daniel

Monday, August 12, 2019 1:25 PM
  • Unfortunately, though reinstall bring more things need to do, such as reinstall programs and re-configure settings, we need to do it finally in order to solve problem.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 9, 2019 8:34 AM
  • I would like to point that none of the information online nor any MS Troubleshooter could solve the problem. And for me reinstalling clean wasn't an option.

The problem was a "simple" permissions on a WindowsApp folder, that for unknown reasons lost all permissions on the files and the folder it self was also with wrong permissions.

The folder in question was the "Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.2.1_2.1.26424.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe" which had missing Users group permissions, and all files lost permissions and only TrustedInstaller had access. Causing of course problems when apps (in this case the MS Store) want to use the .NET libs.

For anyone in the future that as problems opening MS Store or other UWP Apps, please verify your inner WindowsApps folders and files permissions, because Repair Upgrades/Reinstall won't solve this, and you will most like go with the clean reinstall folowing information online with no need to do that.

Best regards,

Daniel Santana

• Marked as answer by dgsantana Tuesday, September 10, 2019 8:23 PM
    Tuesday, September 10, 2019 8:23 PM