none
Windows 64 bit system will not allow an IE 32 bit browser. Why? How do I fix this? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

Bare with me on this...

I work for a tech team for an eLearning company. Our material requires Adobe Shockwave to view the videos. This becomes a problem when a person needs to download Shockwave but they have a 64 bit browser on their computer. Normally, the way around this is to have them download a 32 bit browser (the 32 bit is required to download Shockwave). It's not a difficult fix. Until yesterday...

The person that I was assisting, has Windows 7 which has 64 bit system. Her browser was IE 10. We tried downloading 32 bit browsers in IE (Version 9 and 11) and it would not allow it to happen. A message popped up and said "This version doesn't support your Windows type." We were able to download Firefox, but when we went to the download shockwave website, It only gave us the option to save the installer as a binary file. 

Eventually, we were able to get it installed but our program is still not picking up on it's existence. We have never encountered a problem of people not being able to download the 32 bit browser. Any ideas or suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

Kali J 

Thursday, October 23, 2014 8:00 PM

Answers

• Hi,

To play flash video, you just need to install Adobe Flash Player plugin. As Robear said, the latest edition is v15.0.0.189 and compatible with 32 and 64 mode.

According to your description, it's not IE problem, you should encounter some problem installing adobe flash player plugin, you can follow Robear's suggestion to make troubleshooting for test.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, October 24, 2014 8:18 AM

All replies

• The person that I was assisting, has Windows 7 which has 64 bit system. Her browser was IE 10.

Was IE11 ever offered (or installed) via Windows Update?

Is her computer currently fully-patched at Windows Update?

Is Adobe Shockwave Player v12.1 (or higher) installed on her computer?

Is Adobe Flash Player v15.0.0.189 (or higher) installed on her computer?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Troubleshoot Shockwave Player installation for Windows
    http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/403/kb403264.html

You will find support for Shockwave Player in this forum: http://forums.adobe.com/community/webplayers/webplayers_shockwave

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-Windows Client since 2002 Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

Thursday, October 23, 2014 11:25 PM
  • Hi,

To play flash video, you just need to install Adobe Flash Player plugin. As Robear said, the latest edition is v15.0.0.189 and compatible with 32 and 64 mode.

According to your description, it's not IE problem, you should encounter some problem installing adobe flash player plugin, you can follow Robear's suggestion to make troubleshooting for test.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, October 24, 2014 8:18 AM