none
Information Rights Management Issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We are currently having an issue with one user in an environment of 200 users that has an issue with opening an IRM protected spreadsheet.

They get this message "You are not signed in to Office with an account that has permission to open this workbook" and they are prompted to add an account.

I have checked the permissions on the workbook and they are fine and all other users are able to open it fine.

I have gone down the path of completely rebuilding the users profile on the local computer and they are still having the issues. I have also completely scrubbed the PC of the Office 365 client and reinstalled.

There are no error logs to speak of just the message that appears, one thing I have noticed is that when Excel is loading the workbook and it says that it is setting up IRM it sits on this screen for an extended period of time and flashes once like it is retrying and then comes up with this message like it is failing to setup IRM.

I have checked that the user is signed in to Office and I have also checked that when they protect a workbook themselves that they can see the templates.

Any help here is appreciated.

Thank you.

• Edited by Daniel_Rondo Wednesday, September 18, 2019 12:11 AM
    Wednesday, September 18, 2019 12:09 AM

Answers

• Sorry for the lack of response...

I have found the solution to this being that our content filtering device was having some issues with processing the requests to the Azure Information Protection services.

As per this article;
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/2799361/you-can-t-connect-to-the-azure-information-protection-service-in-offic

The solution was to ensure that the below domains;

- aadrm.com
      - cloudapp.net

were bypassing our content filtering device.

thank you for the assistance.

• Marked as answer by Daniel_Rondo Thursday, October 10, 2019 2:22 AM
    Thursday, October 10, 2019 2:22 AM

All replies

• Hi Daniel,

Since this forum focuses more on questions related to Office desktop applications, if you need further assistance on this problem, I'd recommend you post a new question to the following forum:Rights Management Services.

Does the issue only occur with the user and the specific workbook?

In this case, please try to clear all Windows credentials related to your Office 365 work account to check the outcome:
    1.Open Control Panel, then search for Credential Manager and open it.
    2.Click Windows Credential > Generic Credentials, and then delete any item related to your Office 365 account.

If you have any updates, feel free to post back to tell us.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 9:14 AM
  • Hi Herb and thank you for your response.

The issue is happening for all IRM protected documents.

I have tried the solution that you have suggested above also.

There has been no further development on this issue.

Also as you suggested I have posted this same question in the RMS forum.

Thanks.

• Edited by Daniel_Rondo Thursday, September 19, 2019 2:59 AM
    Thursday, September 19, 2019 2:57 AM
  • Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your response. Hope you could resolve the issue smoothly.

In addition, you can also mark my above reply as answer to help all community members who are facing similar issues to find the right place to get help.

Thanks for your kind understanding. Fell free to let us know if you have any updates or anything you want to share with us.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Friday, September 20, 2019 8:49 AM
  • Hi,

This thread has been around for a long time. Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread. 

Thank you for understanding! If you have any questions, or updates, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Herb

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 1:25 AM
  • Sorry for the lack of response...

I have found the solution to this being that our content filtering device was having some issues with processing the requests to the Azure Information Protection services.

As per this article;
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/2799361/you-can-t-connect-to-the-azure-information-protection-service-in-offic

The solution was to ensure that the below domains;

- aadrm.com
      - cloudapp.net

were bypassing our content filtering device.

thank you for the assistance.

• Marked as answer by Daniel_Rondo Thursday, October 10, 2019 2:22 AM
    Thursday, October 10, 2019 2:22 AM