none
Is there a memory limit in IE11? RRS feed

• Question

• We would like to know if there is some property that defines a maximum memory limit in IE11. If so, can we modify this property or somehow tell IE to use more memory?

Thanks

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 3:49 PM

Answers

• Hi B-Hive,

From our experience and search, there is no limit of memory usage for IE browser.

If your PC’s memory is enough, you could use IE without restraint.

Since you want IE to use more memory, I suggest to close all other apps and programs. Meanwhile, in order to increase the speed of opening websites, we can also increase the size of Temporary Internet Flies.

Hope my clarification is clear.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by B-Hive Wednesday, January 20, 2016 4:13 PM
    Friday, January 15, 2016 5:34 AM

All replies

• Hi B-Hive,

From our experience and search, there is no limit of memory usage for IE browser.

If your PC’s memory is enough, you could use IE without restraint.

Since you want IE to use more memory, I suggest to close all other apps and programs. Meanwhile, in order to increase the speed of opening websites, we can also increase the size of Temporary Internet Flies.

Hope my clarification is clear.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by B-Hive Wednesday, January 20, 2016 4:13 PM
    Friday, January 15, 2016 5:34 AM
  • Very clear, thank you. 
    Wednesday, January 20, 2016 4:14 PM
  • Hi B-Hive,

I am glad to assist you with this question, you are welcome.

Thursday, January 21, 2016 1:03 AM
  • This statement is not true - If your PC’s memory is enough, you could use IE without restraint.

Try running IE 11 with multiple tabs and end up with 1 to 1.5 GB of working memory allocated and your whole computer locks up.  There is definitely a memory issue with IE 11.

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 9:29 PM
  • I second this - it is around 1.4 GB of memory usage and then everything stops working and loading.
    Thursday, October 5, 2017 3:30 PM
  • I second this - it is around 1.4 GB of memory usage and then everything stops working and loading.

This is what we're seeing, too.

Friday, February 16, 2018 7:19 PM
  • Agree... 1.4GB is the magical limit.  Has anyone identified a was to increase that?
    Thursday, November 21, 2019 5:42 PM