none
Skype for Business - DNS Records RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Within our Office365 domain, we used to use Skype for Business. We have now switched to Microsoft Teams and fully retired Skype for Business.

My question is, Office365 shows that some records haven't been added correctly. Do we need the specific the Skype CNAME/SRV Records for DNS to still be applied with that domain, even if Skype is no longer used.

CNAME     SIP        sipdir.online.lync.com        3600

CNAME     SIP        webdir.online.lync.com      3600

SRV    _SIP                  _tls    443     1   100  3600   @  sipdir.online.lync.com

SRV    _SIPferationtls  _tcp   5061   1   100  3600   @ sipfed.online.lync.com

If not,

how can we remove the error messages with Office365 that show their are issues with DNS and the records haven't been added correctly yet.

Thank you,

Cory

Tuesday, January 21, 2020 7:06 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Cory,

What DNS admin panel software do you use? Some require you to put a "." at the end of the value.

For example: SRV    _SIP                  _tls    443     1   100  3600   @  sipdir.online.lync.com. 

Let me know.

Regards,

Niels

Tuesday, January 21, 2020 7:55 PM
  • We utilize Xmission to handle our Offic365 DNS records.

I suppose my question is, do we need these records I mentioned above if we no longer use Skype, and solely use Teams?

Thanks,

Tuesday, January 21, 2020 8:10 PM
  • Hello,

I am sorry, I mis understood. You need these records yes

Regards,

Niels

Tuesday, January 21, 2020 8:25 PM
  • Hi Cory!

What did you do before this error occurred? Did you upgrade Skype for Business Online to Teams?

Can your Skype for Business online login normally before Teams is fully enabled?

Please make sure the second DNS record’s host name above is right.

Based on my knowledge, you should create these DNS records at any DNS hosting provider for Office 365.

For more details about creating DNS records for Office 365, please refer to:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/admin/get-help-with-domains/create-dns-records-at-any-dns-hosting-provider?view=o365-worldwide

Best Regards,
    Jimmy Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.
    • Marked as answer by Cory-P Thursday, January 23, 2020 7:56 PM
    Wednesday, January 22, 2020 5:13 AM
  • Thank you,

Yes. Our domain used Skype before and the errors have shown since we switched domain registrars for DNS last July, though never really had issues with it.

And in October we cut over from Skype to Teams. I just didn't know if I needed to reach out to the DNS host to have them add these records because everything seems to be working.

I just dislike signing into Office365 now and seeing warnings suggesting that DNS is configured incorrectly.

But based on the replies, it is probably better to just add them.

Thursday, January 23, 2020 7:59 PM