After Windows 10 Fall Update 1709, Outlook Search Error RRS feed

• Question

• After installing Windows 10 Creators Fall update 1709, my search in Outlook 2016 is giving me the following error while searching All Outlook Items, and other Outlook searches -

Something went wrong and your search couldn't be completed.

This is very much like Office updates back in June of this year that caused searches to fail and it was 30 days before a patch we released that actually worked on our systems.

Thursday, October 19, 2017 7:04 PM

All replies

• Same error here in Outlook 2016 mailbox search attempts after running the win10 upgrade from version 1703 to 1709 yesterday. Rebuilding Outlook index from file >> options >> search >> indexing options >> outlook >> advanced >> rebuild has no effect on the problem.

office 2016 standard x86 16.0.4266.1001

win10 x64 build 16299.19

Thursday, October 19, 2017 10:33 PM
  • I also had this issue, the following rectified the problem.

1. Office 2016 Repair.

2. Windows Updates (which strangely and very quickly installed the Fall Update).

3. Reindex.

• Proposed as answer by tektotket Friday, October 20, 2017 9:42 PM
    Friday, October 20, 2017 12:19 AM
  • I have a similar problem with Windows 10 1709 update and Office Outlook 2010 - windows search is not giving me any error but don't search instantly -  stopping and starting windows search service after the restart and reindexing doesn't solved the problem.

On the indexing list I see one unknown localisation - something like that: 'csc://{...}/' and maybe that it's a problem.

Friday, October 20, 2017 9:52 AM
  • I didn't need steps 2 or 3 of JTB1234's solution, just the Office 2016 repair.

• Edited by John Pullen Friday, October 20, 2017 8:19 PM
    Friday, October 20, 2017 8:18 PM
  • office 2016 repair + outlook reindex fixed the problem.  skype for business 2016 would no longer authenticate after the office repair.  running repair on the skype installation which is separate fixed that.

Friday, October 20, 2017 9:45 PM
  • On Outlook  2010, I also did Office repair + rebuild and solved the issue!!

Thanks.

• Edited by Crisman72 Sunday, October 22, 2017 9:09 PM
    Sunday, October 22, 2017 9:09 PM
  • Hi After Windows 10 Fall Update, Outlook Search Error,

I am writing to see how everything is going with this issue. Have you checked if the suggestion provided by JTB1234 can fix your issue as well? If this is the case, could you please help mark his reply as answer then it could be easier for others who might have a similar issue to find the useful method? Thanks for your understanding and support.

If you still need assistance on this, please post back at ease.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 23, 2017 1:53 AM
  • Repairing the Office 2016 install resolved it for me as well.  No other steps required (reindex happened automatically).
    Tuesday, October 24, 2017 2:52 PM
  • hi,

repairing office 2007 doesn't solve my search problem. is there any chance to fix this problem with new update?
    • Proposed as answer by suil Sunday, December 10, 2017 3:09 PM
    Wednesday, October 25, 2017 6:05 AM
  • I have the exact same problem after updating to 1709 as PeterTheLOOP. When I hover with the mouse over csc://.... I see a message that I should uncheck it because it longer exists. Probably the update screwed up a registry key. I have my .pst file on a network location and roaming profile. Win 10 had a serious problem with roaming profiles in the past and apparently it still does. Office diagnostics did not help.  
    Friday, October 27, 2017 3:18 PM
  • still no proper solution for office 2007? thanks microsoft you are the best!
    Saturday, October 28, 2017 10:06 AM
  • we have a handful MS office 2010. I have to repair all of them to get Outlook Search working again. But on one computer search still broken. I've tried repair MS Office several time nothing change. Still missing Microsoft Outlook under Indexed Locations. How do I add it back?
    Monday, October 30, 2017 1:39 PM
  • Same problem.  Trying to repair office now.   This is going to a PITA if I have to do it one every machine.

Monday, October 30, 2017 3:57 PM
  • Repairing the Office 2016 Pro install worked.    The error was on Microsoft Outlook 2016 MSO (16.0.4549.1000)32-bit 

Monday, October 30, 2017 4:06 PM
  • Hi.

I have the same problem with Outlook 2007. Instant search is not working after the Windows 10 Creators Fall update.

In (Outlook) Search Options >  "Index messages in these data files".   There are no outlook pst files listed and no options to add any.

In Control Panel > Indexing Options (Included Locations).   Microsoft Office Outlook is shown and if I go to Advanced then I can see that my pst file location is shown, but it is still not being indexed and does not shown up in Outlook Search Options (as above).

I have tried rebuilding the search index, but the outlook pst is still not being picked up.

Let's hope that a fix can be supplied.

• Proposed as answer by suil Sunday, December 10, 2017 3:08 PM
    Wednesday, November 1, 2017 10:55 AM
  • I have had the same problem with Office 2013 and 2016. My only fix so far has been to build a new profile and let that index.

Today I also removed someone's windows.edb file after stopping search service, restarted service then rebuilt index. So far so good.

Monday, November 6, 2017 7:42 PM
  • Same problem for me. Incredibly poor upgrade process, also re-enabled devices I had disabled.
    Tuesday, November 7, 2017 10:29 AM
  • Office repair solves the problem on a particular computer, but it cannot be considered a solution or even workaround for an infrastructure with hundreds of computers. There should be a patch or something else that could be scripted/automated.
    Tuesday, November 7, 2017 11:45 AM
  • In Outlook 2010 the search problem was not solved bey repairing and reindexing.

Before repairing search gave result mails til may 2017 and after some time all the rest of the year til now.

After reparing and reindexing search does not find anything.

Tested on a client with Windows 10 pro 64 bit 1709.

@Microsoft: Please provide a patch.

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 4:06 PM
  • After repairing again and reindexing again over the night the search works again in Outlook 2010.

But now having some other problems with Outlook 2013: Not recieving new mails. Trying with repair and reindex, too. I will post the result.

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 7:02 AM
  • After many index rebuilds this worked. Step 2 was probably already there as I had the problem after the fall update.Then step 3 was needed. Thanks JTB1234!
    Wednesday, November 8, 2017 12:00 PM
  • After installing Windows 10 Creators Fall update 1709, my search in Outlook 2016 is giving me the following error while searching All Outlook Items, and other Outlook searches -

Something went wrong and your search couldn't be completed.

This is very much like Office updates back in June of this year that caused searches to fail and it was 30 days before a patch we released that actually worked on our systems.

We are experiencing the same issue here as the Fall update rolls itself out and the phone begins to ring. Seriously, there isn't a patch for this yet? Core functionality has been broken and will ultimately affect hundreds of computers. Please hear us patching Gods!  
    Wednesday, November 8, 2017 3:23 PM
  • i rebuild the same but problem not solved , also while typing its not showing the results as it use to be #windows10 #windows1709 sucks
    Thursday, November 9, 2017 5:43 AM
  • i rebuild the same but problem not solved , also while typing its not showing the results as it use to be #windows10 #windows1709 sucks , if you find any solution pls help me with the same
    Thursday, November 9, 2017 5:44 AM
  • i rebuild the same but problem not solved , also while typing its not showing the results as it use to be #windows10 #windows1709 sucks , if you find any solution pls help me with the same

First of all, sorry for my English.

I tried unsuccessfully to reindex, repair the office and all the other solutions I found on the net.

Stupid solution, but for me it worked:

1. Make a copy of the pst file that you have open for an account (somebody@somewhere.com.pst) under another name for example reserve.pst (outlook closed)

2. Import this file into Outlook (Account setting->Data Files->New). This new file begins to index and search is possible.

3. Close Outlook after indexing.

4. Delete original file somebody@somewhere.com.pst, make a copy of reserve.pst and rename it to somebody@somewhere.com.pst

5. Open Outlook again and delete Data File reserve.pst. Delete reserve.pst from Outlook directory also.

This solution worked for me, I hope it helps someone.

• Edited by Sklavdij Thursday, November 9, 2017 8:17 PM
    • Proposed as answer by FilGro Saturday, November 11, 2017 11:49 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by FilGro Saturday, November 11, 2017 11:49 AM
    Thursday, November 9, 2017 7:48 PM
  • I have the same problem as most of you, but with Outlook 2007.

However, my real problem is that the list of pst files that are indexed in Outlook 2007 has been removed by update 1709 of Windows 10.

In : Tools + instantaneus search + search options + indexing

in the indexing field, the list of pst files is empty.

I specify that all my pst files are on my D: drive and not on my C: drive where Outlook 2007 is installed. 
    But before the update, it worked very well.

And despite checking all the indexing settings

in Windows 10
    In : Config panel + indexing options
    and Outlook 2007

In : Tools + instantaneus search + search options

nothing allows to update this list.

I tried also and unsuccessfully the solution of Skaldij.

If anyone has an idea, I'm interested !

Otherwise, we need quickly a Microsoft patch...

• Edited by FilGro Saturday, November 11, 2017 2:35 PM
    Saturday, November 11, 2017 2:08 PM
  • I could fix it.

1.mount Office CD(my case:Microsoft Office 2003.iso)

2.Choose fix Office

then Microsoft outlook 2003 works.

Thursday, November 16, 2017 1:17 PM
  • I've had 4 computers update to 1709 before we could stop it. All 4 are having this issue. 

Repair, while it fixes the Send to Email issue in other MS programs (Excel and Snipping Tool to name the most frequent), does not help this search issue. Reindexing does not either. In fact, repair encounters an error during repair, but it still fixes the Send to Email issue. It also encounters an error during uninstall which completely hoses the Office install. Can't fully uninstall, can't reinstall on top. 

Only thing that has helped was to reformat back down to 1703. 

Friday, November 17, 2017 12:27 AM
  • Hi,

This has been a problem since Windows 7. It happens with Outlook 2007, 2010 and 2016 (I haven't tried 2013). I just bought a Dell XPS 15 with Windows 10 Pro x64. I installed all updates, then installed Office 2016 and all updates. This is about as clean an install as you can get.

I have a fairly complex Outlook configuration: 1 Exchange Account, 2 POP accounts, and 5 iMap accounts (two of them on GMail). Got it all up and running and let it index overnight (2 PSTs with a combined 15 Gig of Email). When it was done, none of my email was indexed. 

Reading posts here and in other forums jogged my memory and I was able to recreate the steps I used on Windows 7 / Office 2007 to get the indexing working. I cannot tell you why these steps work in this order (it is a superset of the steps others outlined here). I just know they have worked for me on Win 7 / O2007 and Win 10 / O2016. And hey, if simply repairing your Office install does the trick, that's wonderful! If it doesn't (and it didn't for me), these steps may help.

One additional note: after I went through these steps, everything except my main PST was indexed. I stumbled on a fix that surprised me. My main PST's display name starts with a blank (e.g. " Dennis"). I do that so it always sorts out at the top of the Outlook folders pane. On a whim, I changed it to "A_Dennis". Then it indexed! Apparently there is a bug in the indexing path that chokes on PST names that start with blank (that wasn't an issue with Win 7 / O2007).

With that, here are the steps I used for Windows 10 Pro x64 and Office 2016 32-bit. The order is important. The reboots are important (sometimes it works without them, but sometimes not). Apologies for the indented steps not coming out with "a." or something similar -- I pasted from Word but this forum's edit control doesn't support that feature:

1.       Ensure you are running Cached Exchange mode for any Exchange accounts. Then, close Outlook
    2.       Go to Indexing Options, Modify. Remove Outlook from items being searched. DO NOT reindex yet.
    3.       Go to Add or Remove Programs. Select Microsoft Office, Change. Then select REPAIR option.
      1.       Do NOT do the online repair; it can stomp on your settings/custom config (it has done that to me, which was a rude surprise the first time). If this process fails, only then should you do the Online Repair.
    4.       Reboot.
    5.       Use SCANPST.EXE (often found in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\SCANPST.EXE"). Scan and repair every OST and every PST used by any of your profiles.
    6.       Reboot (yes, really). It sometimes works without this, but sometimes does not. YOU CAN PAUSE HERE if you like. You will be able to search Outlook using the search bar or Advanced Find, and it will work albeit slowly (because it searches the raw data file... nothing is indexed). If you don’t have time to take this to completion, it is a workaround.
    7.       Go to Indexing Options and pause indexing. It often takes a little time for the Indexer to actually pause. Leave this open…
    8.       Open the SERVICES MSC snap-in. Find the Windows Search service (which should be running) and restart it. Indexing Options will indicate that Search has stopped, and will “come back to normal” once the Search Service restarts.
    9.       Now:
      1.       Go to Indexing Options, Advanced. Click on REBUILD. Let it run to completion (you will get an Items Indexed count and it will tell you when it is completed).
      2.       Then go to Indexing Options, Modify. Add Outlook back. Despite what you may read elsewhere, do not add any PSTs or OSTs to the list. Just click next to the Outlook Icon.
      3.        I like to leave Indexing Options open through to the end so I can check on progress.
    10.    Start Outlook, and let your OSTs synch (i.e. wait until Outlook says it has downloaded your mail and such and says all folders are up to date).
    11.    Go to the Outlook Search Ribbon, and click on Search Tools/Locations to Search. Make sure all of the locations you want indexed are checked. It’s a good sign if they are already, but not necessarily a bad one if they aren’t.
      1.       You can also click on Search Tools/Indexing Status… it shows the number of Outlook items waiting to be indexed. It may start small (or at zero), but what you want to see is this count going up. Once all items to be indexed have been counted, it should start decreasing (while the Indexing Options window you left open shows an increasing count of items indexed).
    12.    Sit back (or go away) until it is done. I often take Outlook OFFLINE while this goes on, as it keeps Outlook from stealing Indexing cycles. If you don’t leave the computer alone, the rebuild takes longer.

That should do it. If not, start from Step 2, and try with the ONLINE REPAIR option in Step 3. Note that many of your tweaks to Office can be removed as part of this process… c’est la vie!

I hope this helps... 

- dennis

• Proposed as answer by DennisAd Friday, November 17, 2017 8:04 AM
    Friday, November 17, 2017 8:01 AM
  • I've got the same problem with Outlook 2007. Nothing worked so far. Tried Repair, Index rebuild, etc.

KQRR4449

Monday, November 27, 2017 2:12 AM
  • Hi Ken, i've reverted back my Windows 10 version 1703 and my outlook 2010 seems to be showing signs of improvement. It says, it is currently indexing over 8k of files so it'll take some time to know for sure.

If you are not too keen on this latest version, may i suggest reverting back to the previous version through recovery

.. J .. 

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 1:26 AM
  • I also had this issue, the following rectified the problem.

1. Office 2016 Repair.

2. Windows Updates (which strangely and very quickly installed the Fall Update).

3. Reindex.

Tried deleting OST, re-indexing, but then I repaired my copy of Office and that did the trick.

Thursday, November 30, 2017 12:51 PM
  • Office repair and reindex did the trick for me, thank you very nuch!

BTW. I'm using office 2013.

Regards.

Thursday, November 30, 2017 2:58 PM
  • Office 2016 works okay after installing November updates. No repairing or manual reindexing actually needed (it starts reindexing from scratch after updating, though). Verified on hundreds of computers. I am quite sure that all supported Office versions received the same updates as well, but this indicates bad luck for Office 2007 users.
    Thursday, November 30, 2017 7:56 PM
  • Office 2016 works okay after installing November updates. No repairing or manual reindexing actually needed (it starts reindexing from scratch after updating, though). Verified on hundreds of computers. I am quite sure that all supported Office versions received the same updates as well, but this indicates bad luck for Office 2007 users.
    I am seeing this in our testing as well.
    Friday, December 1, 2017 6:03 PM
  • I'm finding updates released this November (this is when clients reporting issues to me, with applied November updates) are causing both failing search in Outlook (sluggish, no new results), and if you rebuild index, it completely kills search in Outlook. Regardless of Outlook version as well. Having 2010, 2013, and 2016 Outlook users all experiencing this. I've done repair install of Office and rebuild of index, with no change in functionality.

A secondary issue with same clients, if they have an external program that uses Outlook to send out an email (ie. QuickBooks, Sage 50), Outlook no longer allows for this to occur. Checked programmatic access and all security settings. Seems like both search and this other issue, only work again if I uninstall these recent November updates.

KB4011196
    KB2553308
    KB2760779
    KB2956078

These were ones directly referencing Outlook. Issue now though is that these will push back to computers for install, especially with Windows 10 systems.

Tim

Friday, December 1, 2017 7:29 PM
  • After some more testing, I have identified KB4011240 as the November update that fixes the issue.  If KB4011240 was installed prior to upgrading to 1709, you will need to uninstall KB4011240 and reinstall it.  If KB4011240 is not installed, then you will need to install it to fix the search issue.

• Edited by JoseEspitia Tuesday, December 5, 2017 9:42 PM
    Tuesday, December 5, 2017 9:26 PM
  • All Office 2016 KB from november 2017 solved the problem for me.

Update for Microsoft Excel 2016 (KB4011577) 32-Bit Edition

Update for Microsoft Office 2016 (KB3213542) 32-Bit Edition

Update for Microsoft Office 2016 (KB4011031) 32-Bit Edition

Update for Microsoft Office 2016 (KB4011163) 32-Bit Edition

Update for Microsoft Office 2016 (KB4011211) 32-Bit Edition

Update for Microsoft Office 2016 (KB4011218) 32-Bit Edition

Update for Microsoft Office 2016 (KB4011225) 32-Bit Edition

Update for Microsoft Office 2016 (KB4011562) 32-Bit Edition

Update for Microsoft Office 2016 (KB4011567) 32-Bit Edition

Update for Microsoft Office 2016 (KB4011568) 32-Bit Edition

Update for Microsoft Office 2016 (KB4011572) 32-Bit Edition

Update for Microsoft Outlook 2016 (KB4011570) 32-Bit Edition

Update for Microsoft Project 2016 (KB4011573) 32-Bit Edition

Update for Microsoft Project 2016 (KB4011573) 32-Bit Edition

Thursday, December 7, 2017 11:05 AM
  • Same problem here!

Fall Creators Update (1709) has killed Outlook 2007 indexing function.

Outlook's own indexing GUI is blank and doesn't allow to select any of the accounts configured.

Windows Search indexing function shows "Microsoft Office Outlook" on the list of included indexing locations but then on the same line, in the right-hand side, under "Exclude", are listed all the Outlook accounts that should be indexed but are forcefully excluded from it.

Clicking the "Modify" button allows to include/exclude virtually anything EXCEPT Microsoft Office Outlook and it's accounts, be it IMAP or Exchange accounts.

Additionally, some software that used MAPI functions to create new e-mails and automatically add attachments, fill the recipient address and the message subject wouldn't work, Office had to be repaired for those functions to start working again. That being said, indexing still does not work even after Office repairs, reinstalls, reboots...

This thread (among many others, with diverse issues) makes it clear that Microsoft released their worst update yet. I almost feel like going back to Windows 7 or 8.1.

I hope this gets patched fast, if it doesn't then there will be serious repercussions, particularly at enterprise level.

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 11:56 AM
  • Same problem with searching in Outlook on a laptop with Windows 10 with Outlook 2016 MSO (16.0.4591.1000) 32-bit.  This started after I ran Windows Update > Check for updates... which then installed 1709 and several other updates (it would be nice to have an option to defer major updates).  I initially tried creating a new Outlook profile and that didn't resolve the issue surprisingly.  I closed Office apps, ran Apps & Features, selected Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016, clicked Modify, entered administrative credentials when prompted, then ran Repair, then restarted as prompted.  Outlook searching is now working well again.
    • Edited by Threonine Wednesday, December 13, 2017 4:43 PM
    Wednesday, December 13, 2017 4:42 PM
  • Same problem here!

Fall Creators Update (1709) has killed Outlook 2007 indexing function.

Outlook's own indexing GUI is blank and doesn't allow to select any of the accounts configured.

Windows Search indexing function shows "Microsoft Office Outlook" on the list of included indexing locations but then on the same line, in the right-hand side, under "Exclude", are listed all the Outlook accounts that should be indexed but are forcefully excluded from it.

Clicking the "Modify" button allows to include/exclude virtually anything EXCEPT Microsoft Office Outlook and it's accounts, be it IMAP or Exchange accounts.

Additionally, some software that used MAPI functions to create new e-mails and automatically add attachments, fill the recipient address and the message subject wouldn't work, Office had to be repaired for those functions to start working again. That being said, indexing still does not work even after Office repairs, reinstalls, reboots...

This thread (among many others, with diverse issues) makes it clear that Microsoft released their worst update yet. I almost feel like going back to Windows 7 or 8.1.

I hope this gets patched fast, if it doesn't then there will be serious repercussions, particularly at enterprise level.

Same issue: Outlook 2007, Win 10.

I am fuming over this: I spent the better part of last couple days on the phone and on my PC trying to solve this before I found this thread. When I have a customer on the phone asking a previously discussed issue, I need to search for the past emails fast. All worked perfectly fine before this Fall Creators Update broke the indexing (and a couple of other things I can more or less live with). This index fix is desperately needed...

Thursday, December 14, 2017 2:10 AM
  • If you can't live w/o indexing, do what I did, temporarily: rollback to 1703 and disable updates.

I did it and I can work, for now at least. Will be waiting for solution.

I am also looking for Outlook 2016 in good price, since 2007 is not supported  now, so more problems can arise soon.

• Edited by Mi.Rog Thursday, December 14, 2017 8:39 AM
    Thursday, December 14, 2017 8:38 AM
  • If you can't live w/o indexing, do what I did, temporarily: rollback to 1703 and disable updates.

I did it and I can work, for now at least. Will be waiting for solution.

I am also looking for Outlook 2016 in good price, since 2007 is not supported  now, so more problems can arise soon.

Roll back wight work...until they push updates through again.

This Outlook 2016 is not too expensive, but is there any indexing / instant search issue there? http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/productID.323024000

It looks completely different: challenging for an old guy like me...

Friday, December 15, 2017 2:55 AM
  • It looks completely different: challenging for an old guy like me...

C'mon, truly speaking it's far more functional, you'll see. Anyway, if you don't need all that jazz you can always go for thunderbird. It's decent app, works fine, and is easy to configure and control.
    Friday, December 15, 2017 8:08 AM
  • It looks completely different: challenging for an old guy like me...

C'mon, truly speaking it's far more functional, you'll see. Anyway, if you don't need all that jazz you can always go for thunderbird. It's decent app, works fine, and is easy to configure and control.
    Is 2016 trouble free and indexing properly after these updates for instant search? Can someone confirm?
    Friday, December 15, 2017 1:07 PM
  • I too had a similar problem, but had Office 2010 Professional.  Just a repair fixed my problem.  The  re-indexing of Outlook happened automatically.  Thank you for the contributions of everyone.
    Saturday, December 16, 2017 11:01 AM
  • On Outlook  2010, I also did Office repair + rebuild and solved the issue!!

Thanks.

I too had a similar problem, but had Office 2010 Professional.  Just a repair fixed my problem.  The  re-indexing of Outlook happened automatically.  Thank you for the contributions of everyone.
    Saturday, December 16, 2017 11:01 AM
  • Repairing the Office 2016 install resolved it for me as well.  No other steps required (reindex happened automatically).

I too had a similar problem, but had Office 2010 Professional.  Just a repair fixed my problem.  The  re-indexing of Outlook happened automatically.  Thank you for the contributions of everyone.
    Saturday, December 16, 2017 11:02 AM

What version of Outlook?
    Monday, December 18, 2017 2:57 PM
  • Same problem here with Outlook 2007 and Windows 10 Pro 1709
    Tuesday, December 19, 2017 8:05 AM
  • Same problem with Outlook 2010 and Windows 10 Pro 1709. Slow search performance after the Fall Creators Update
    Tuesday, December 19, 2017 10:10 AM
  • Similar problem with Outlook 2003. Error message "Operation Failed" when clicking Send/Receive.
    Tuesday, December 19, 2017 2:41 PM
  • Microsoft is getting better every day!

I need the instant search to work, so I purchased Outlook 2016. Before installing, I need to make sure that all the pst files are backed up from 2007. However, every method I tried to export the pst files results in Outlook locking up after 10 second, with message "Outlook is not responding". So the only option is to close the program. I tried to reboot, did not help.

I just got off the phone with Microsoft tech support to make sure all these files are back up: in the end, the response is: "we do not support 2007 any more".

Frustrating is not a fair description the current status.I lost some emails when I went from 2003 to 2007, so I will not install 2016 before making sure all pst files are exported to a folder.

Any more idea?

• Edited by Win10Misuser Thursday, December 21, 2017 1:41 AM
    Wednesday, December 20, 2017 11:30 PM
  • same here, still no luck. literally about to break my laptop. 

i would run windows 8.1 but got a new laptop with 7th gen i7 which only runs on windows10. 

this is REALLY frusterating

Thursday, December 21, 2017 10:18 AM
  • I finally gave in: installed Outlook 2016 and made sure all the files were transferred from 2007. It was actually quite seamless. Instant search works fine.

It is still revolting that we have to give in to this sort of extortionist method: I did not solicit the Fall Creator Update, and was not afforded the opportunity to opt out either. It just installed itself.

There are still a few issues, like the lag when printing from anything onto the HP printer. It used to be instant, now 10 to 15 seconds delay on each print: that is a lot of waiting when adding up all the prints throughout the day. Driver updating did not work: the drivers are all up to date.

Thursday, December 21, 2017 6:43 PM
  • I finally gave in: installed Outlook 2016 and made sure all the files were transferred from 2007. It was actually quite seamless. Instant search works fine.

Correct me if I'm wrong: you work with Office 2007 (word, excel etc.) and you have installed standalone Outlook 2016? And what with Outlook 2007? Have you removed it? And how? Please shed some more light 'cause that's what I'm intending to do, being in the same need.
    Friday, December 22, 2017 8:35 AM
  • I've had 4 computers update to 1709 before we could stop it. All 4 are having this issue. 

Repair, while it fixes the Send to Email issue in other MS programs (Excel and Snipping Tool to name the most frequent), does not help this search issue. Reindexing does not either. In fact, repair encounters an error during repair, but it still fixes the Send to Email issue. It also encounters an error during uninstall which completely hoses the Office install. Can't fully uninstall, can't reinstall on top. 

Only thing that has helped was to reformat back down to 1703. 

Anyone using Webroot and having this problem, make sure your clients are updated to 9.0.18.44. This fixed my problem. 
    Sunday, December 24, 2017 9:06 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong: you work with Office 2007 (word, excel etc.) and you have installed standalone Outlook 2016? And what with Outlook 2007? Have you removed it? And how? Please shed some more light 'cause that's what I'm intending to do, being in the same need.

Yes, I purchased the stand alone Outlook 2016.

- Closed 2007

- Installed 2016: it matched all the settings, and imported all files and folders, and ket the folder structure I had in 2007.

- After I check all my files were there, I uninstalled 2007.

Since I had some bugs in Excel 2007, I later got Excel 2016.

They work smoother with the latest update, but I am really not a fan: all "Print" or "Save As" commands require extra steps compared to 2007, and I found no way to format the default dialogs or paths for these commands....not great upgrades for me, except for the fact that they work better. after the latest Windows updates...

• Proposed as answer by Leandro Gavina Wednesday, January 3, 2018 12:14 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Leandro Gavina Wednesday, January 3, 2018 12:15 PM
    Tuesday, December 26, 2017 2:12 PM
  • My solution for Outlook 2007 was as follows:

1) Remove Office 2007

2) Install Office 2010

3) Install Office 2007 without removing 2010

4) Remove Office 2010.

5) Repair Office 2007

6) Install Office 2007 Service Pack 3

7) Recreate mail profile.

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 12:19 PM
  • Same issues here. Windows 1607 to 1709.  Office 2016 Prof Plus.  Problems are 100% related to 1709 upgrades. Look at this thread.

Search indexing of office 2016 doesn't even exist in Windows 10 after upgrades.  Repairing of office 2016 fixes issues by adding office back to indexing sources in windows 10.

I have an official Premiere Support ticket on this since we don't plan to repair office on hundreds of computers after a horrible OS upgrade; this is unacceptable and who the EFFF QCs these upgrades?  This should have been noticed and caught instantly if QC testers actually did their job.

this upgrade cycle of win10 is pure bullshit and unnecessary; who makes these decisions at microsoft? some non-techie who never has done a job as a sysadmin?

/rant

Paid IT Geek; mobile/desktops/deployments

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 5:00 PM
  • Many thanks to JTB1234 for helping me solve a very frustrating message sorting problem with MS Outlook after Windows 10 Fall Creators update. After update, when sorting messages, I did not receive error message, but Outlook searched old emails first and would take many minutes to complete search for message I needed. For those who are not tech savvy (like me), here are the steps I followed in more detail which solved issue on both my and my wife's PC after Creators Fall Update

1) For Office 2016 Repair, close all MS Office applications (Outlook, Excel, Word etc) and click on windows icon (bottom left) and select 'Settings' (looks like a gear wheel). Select 'Apps'. After programs populate window, select Microsoft Office 2010 (or version you have). Click on 'Modify. Click yes to pop-up box allowing program to make changes. New Pop-Up box appears with title "Change your installation of Microsoft Office xxxxxx". Click the 'Repair' button and then 'continue' . This repair process can take some time (>1 hour on my system), so be patient.

2) After Office Repair finishes, you will be prompted to restart your PC.

3) Once PC restarts, open MS Outlook. At this point, Outlook should start to automatically reindex all your messages. The search function will not operate properly until this process finishes. Re-indexing on my Outlook files took several hours, so again be patient. After this finishes, my search function operated correctly, searching newest messages first and finding files I needed in seconds.

Hope these additional steps help non-Tech savvy people solve this issue. Thanks again to JTB1234.

• Proposed as answer by Kurt Raymond Thursday, February 22, 2018 5:02 PM
    Wednesday, January 3, 2018 7:28 PM
  • I read countless articles trying to fix my indexing issues after Windows 10 updated, a simple repair, reboot and re-index solved it!

Thanks!

Friday, January 5, 2018 5:24 PM
  • Turn off Cached Exchange Mode.
    Monday, January 8, 2018 4:37 PM
  • nothing of all this worked - I have repaired Office + updated Win 10 + re-indexed, to no avail

Any other solutions?

Tuesday, January 9, 2018 3:31 PM
  • My Outlook 2007 is the same and appears to be due to now not having any files in the Search Options dialogue.

How does one get them back in the dialogue to be selected.

Really getting sick on updates that update when they choose despite setting out of errors. I had one trash a computer and only a fresh install would get it back up and running.

At least give us the option of installing and let the techies iron out the bugs as updates are obviously not tested at MS. :-(

Friday, January 12, 2018 8:09 PM
  • I have posted before, in great details, and I don't think anyone from MS is even looking at this issue.

The Fall Creators Update has broken the index function, at least with respect to Outlook2010 and Outlook2007.  Even though Outlook shows as an indexed location, the underlying mailbox(s) no longer are displayed.  When you look at index options within Outlook, the mailbox(s) are not there and can't be re-entered.

To me this looks like a system-level issue that was introduced with FCU, since machine that have not installed FCU don't have any issues with indexing Outlook2010 or 2007.

Every suggested remedy within this and numerous other posts about this issue has been tried without success.

I hate to subscribe to the notions advanced by the MS conspiracy theorists (that this is a feature, not a bug, that was introduced to induce migration to later versions of Office/Outlook), but having done so on 2 machines (Outlook2007 to Outlook 2016), and having noted that the index issues went away, I'm not so sure the conspiracy theorists aren't too far off the mark

With so many posts about this problem -- which became evident only after FCU came in -- I can't believe this is a case of mass-idiocy on a global basis.

Something wrong happened with FCU and older versions of Office/Outlook.  Microsoft has to take a look because they are the only ones who can advance a fix.

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 10:11 PM
  • I agree that Microsoft are duty bound to fix this deletion of searchable .pst files following the mandatory Windows 10 Fall Update 1709.  The inability to search with Outlook 2007 disappeared before the maintenance period for Outlook 2007 expired in October 2017.
    Thursday, January 18, 2018 11:17 AM
  • Add me to the list. We tested 1709 when it released to Semi-Annual Channel (Targeted) with no one reporting this sort of issue, so we deployed once 1709 hit Semi-Annual Channel. Now we're getting a barrage of calls and tickets about broken Outlook searching. Same as others, a mix of reindexing, repairing Office, and/or rebuilding OSTs gets it going again.
    Wednesday, January 24, 2018 5:55 PM
  • Agreed, Anton.  This is still a thing, our org has easily hundreds of machines (out of about a thousand) affected and still counting. We are inundated with tickets and cannot realistically have our support team remote in or physically touch every single machine to do an Office repair, and trying to script an Office repair would probably cause chaos itself. (Possibly interrupted processes, problems if users have Office apps open, etc) This is all after doing due diligence with testing 1709 and not really seeing a pattern of issues that would have led us to believe we'd have this much trouble.

Microsoft really, REALLY dropped the ball on this if they haven't accounted for this obvious issue after 3 whole months. So much for Semi-Annual Channel being a "business ready" state too...

Friday, January 26, 2018 9:39 PM
  • I got the same problem here. Windows 10 1709 and Outlook 2016. All repairing and reindexing didn't fix it for me. What caught my eye was that I have an entry (besides Outlook 2016's "Microsoft Office") called "Microsoft Office Outlook" from a long ago deinstalled Office 2007. But I can't figure out how to remove that entry. It doesn't appear in the list with the check-boxes... Anyone else seeing this.
    Tuesday, January 30, 2018 1:20 PM
  • Same issues here. Windows 1607 to 1709.  Office 2016 Prof Plus.  Problems are 100% related to 1709 upgrades. Look at this thread.

Search indexing of office 2016 doesn't even exist in Windows 10 after upgrades.  Repairing of office 2016 fixes issues by adding office back to indexing sources in windows 10.

I have an official Premiere Support ticket on this since we don't plan to repair office on hundreds of computers after a horrible OS upgrade; this is unacceptable and who the EFFF QCs these upgrades?  This should have been noticed and caught instantly if QC testers actually did their job.

this upgrade cycle of win10 is pure bullshit and unnecessary; who makes these decisions at microsoft? some non-techie who never has done a job as a sysadmin?

/rant

Paid IT Geek; mobile/desktops/deployments

Exactly the same here.  Most users have no problem. But a few have this, some Office16 "healed" by itself. So something with office patches for sure...  No fun!..
    Thursday, February 1, 2018 12:18 PM
  • Windows10更新1709~社會連接器Outlook 2010失敗..fail
    • Edited by M執行長 Friday, February 2, 2018 6:33 AM
    • Proposed as answer by M執行長 Friday, February 2, 2018 6:43 AM
    Friday, February 2, 2018 6:33 AM
  • Adding to the chagrin.  Enterprise upgrade from 1607 to 1709.  We ran a few tests and after upgrading "something went wrong and your search couldn't be completed" happens on all Outlook 2016 searches.

We cannot proceed to upgrade 1709 to production until a fix for this can be provided by Microsoft!

Monday, February 5, 2018 6:44 PM
  • While JTB1234 was the inspiration for the answer and I voted for it-I also voted for this one as I am not very Tech Saavy and JeffBinns1 your step by step directions were perfect and worked well for the 'layman'.  Thank you!

Wednesday, February 7, 2018 12:35 PM
  • I've tried ever solution listed this page with no success. I finally have solved the problem with office 2007 in a Microsoft Exchange environment. If you go into Control panel, click Mail. Then add a new profile and delete the current one. If you don't have exchange you will need to export your mailbox to a PST. 

The next time you open outlook it will pull all your mail from the exchange server. There is one more step you would want to take if you would like to retain your email memory (auto populate email address in the To: section).

You must send a couple emails in the new outlook profile. Then close outlook. (you can do this before all mail is downloaded or updated)

Got to C:, users, (YOUR USERNAME), AppData, Roaming, Microsoft, Outlook. 

You will see 3 newly created files. With the new profile name with NK2, srs, and xml extension. You will delete all 3 of these new files. Then find your old NK2, srs, and xml files and right click and rename them with the new profile name. Open outlook and everything should be working now. 

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 6:26 PM
  • I've tried ever solution listed this page with no success. I finally have solved the problem with office 2007 in a Microsoft Exchange environment. If you go into Control panel, click Mail. Then add a new profile and delete the current one. If you don't have exchange you will need to export your mailbox to a PST. 

The next time you open outlook it will pull all your mail from the exchange server. There is one more step you would want to take if you would like to retain your email memory (auto populate email address in the To: section).

You must send a couple emails in the new outlook profile. Then close outlook. (you can do this before all mail is downloaded or updated)

Got to C:, users, (YOUR USERNAME), AppData, Roaming, Microsoft, Outlook. 

You will see 3 newly created files. With the new profile name with NK2, srs, and xml extension. You will delete all 3 of these new files. Then find your old NK2, srs, and xml files and right click and rename them with the new profile name. Open outlook and everything should be working now. 

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 6:27 PM
  • The problem seems to be due to a misinterpretation of the Office 32 bit version during the migration.
    While upgrading to Windows 10 1709 the Software\Office\ key is successfully migrated

Solution: Add manually the following registry key:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search\Preferences]
    "{4154494E-BFF9-01B8-00AA-0037D96E0000}"=dword:00000001
    "{C0A19454-7F29-1B10-A587-08002B2A2517}"=dword:00000001
    "{70fab278-f7af-cd11-9bc8-00aa002fc45a}"=dword:00000001
    "{c34f5c97-eb05-bb4b-b199-2a7570ec7cf9}"=dword:00000001
    "{0077B49E-E474-CE11-8C5E-00AA004254E2}"=dword:00000001

• Proposed as answer by LomM Wednesday, March 21, 2018 11:46 AM
    Thursday, March 15, 2018 1:33 PM
  • Solution tested with success on outlook 2007 and Windows 10 1709.

Thanks !!!

Friday, March 16, 2018 8:42 AM
  • Hi @JimmyTheS 

Did you manage to get a respond from Premiere Support? It happened to us as well. The Windows Updates, Office Repair and Re-Index ... none of these work. 

We did escalate to Ms Support Team and end up in Consumer Team as they managed to pinpoint this type of issue is related to our email type connection MAPI. We use email system called Zimbra and they are using a Connector and utilise the MAPI type email. We tested the search with a basic type of email ie. IMAP and POP3 have NO problem as well Exchange mail. 

• Edited by Valdy Valdy Wednesday, March 21, 2018 1:00 AM
    Wednesday, March 21, 2018 12:51 AM
  • @Alain PINIER 3DS

Thank you for this!

Worked for my 250 client's - Windows 10 x64 1709 (machines upgraded from 1703 AND 1607), Outlook 2016 "MSI-Install" x86.

You are a life saver <3.

• Edited by LomM Wednesday, March 21, 2018 12:13 PM
    Wednesday, March 21, 2018 11:48 AM
  • The problem seems to be due to a misinterpretation of the Office 32 bit version during the migration.
    While upgrading to Windows 10 1709 the Software\Office\ key is successfully migrated

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search\Preferences]

This is the solution. Worked for Outlook 2007.
    • Edited by Gixelz2 Thursday, March 22, 2018 1:54 PM Added info.
    • Proposed as answer by Marc Foreman Saturday, April 21, 2018 12:28 PM
    Thursday, March 22, 2018 1:53 PM
  • Reporting that this worked for me too!
    Monday, March 26, 2018 3:30 AM

This is the solution. Worked for Outlook 2007.

To all out there that have the same problem with Windows 10 64-bit and Outlook 2007 this solution works!!!!
    Tuesday, March 27, 2018 10:25 AM

This fixed it for my 64 bit W10 1709 and 32 bit Office 2016.

Outlook does a re-index, however.

Wednesday, April 4, 2018 10:12 AM
  • NOW That is what I call a SCALPEL SOLUTION. Fantastic work. The registry fix repaired the situation for my client immediately.

Thank you, Alain PINIER 3DS
    • Edited by J Diz Wednesday, April 11, 2018 8:32 PM
    Wednesday, April 11, 2018 8:32 PM
  • The search function in my Outlook 2007 also died on me after the (forced) installation of Windows version 1709, the creator's update. 

I scoured the web and the messages in this thread and elsewhere for an answer, and tried most of the solutions which seemed to work for others. Since many have complained about things going wrong after the update, I decided to do a completely clean installation of Windows 10. That went wrong, so I'm working at present on a machine I have in reserve. It also runs on Windows 10, but it didn't have a copy of Office 2007 installed. So I installed it. After I bit, allowing for indexing time, I tried the search function. Dead as a door nail. Then for some reason I hit 'enter', and lo and behold the items including the search term suddenly appeared. 

The problem seems to have been that the incremental search function - search as you type - had died, but not the actual ability to carry out a search. It just needed the extra push by entering 'enter'. 

A simple solution after weeks of tearing out one's hair in frustration and annoyance, not least because Microsoft has washed its hands of anything smacking of Office 2007 and are under no moral obligation to help. 

all the best from foggy Norway,

Chris

Tuesday, April 17, 2018 7:34 AM
  • Yes, this worked for me as well, after many months frustrated by no longer having outlook 2007 indexed, I can report that this process did the trick.

For anyone who may be confused by the instructions, you may find that you can't locate the registry key indicated in the instructions. This is what happened to me and I then realised that I had to add them manually.

Once added, it's important to exit outlook, then stop and restart the windows search service from the services panel. Once that's done, restart outlook. When it launches, the indexer will now recognise it.

Saturday, April 21, 2018 12:30 PM
  • Did the solution also apply to Win 10 1703 & Office 2013?

Thursday, March 21, 2019 8:23 AM
  • In my case, I solved this recent and very anoying "Something went wrong" issue on my Office 365 (Outlook 2016 / 2019) defining the ServerAssistedSearchTimeout registry with value 5000 (decimal)

ServerAssistedSearchTimeout - Timeout in milliseconds that Outlook should wait for Exchange to provide search results before falling back to use local search.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\office\16.0\outlook\search

DWORD: ServerAssistedSearchTimeout

For further details, check How Outlook 2016 utilizes Exchange Server 2016 FAST Search article

Monday, May 11, 2020 9:32 PM