none
Windows 7 - VPN Connection Changes to Dialup RRS feed

• Question

• I've seen this question asked elsewhere, however I have not been able to solve the problem with the solutions that are provided. Essentially I am creating a new VPN connection using the wizard selecting that I want to connect over the internet, entering the IP address and then the user's credentials, then it changes to a dial up connection and the IP address is listed where the phone number will be.  I have checked that the NDProxy driver is running, that ndproxy.sys is in my System32\Drivers folder. I have also uninstalled and reinstalled the network adapters.

Any help would be appreciated.

Wednesday, December 31, 2014 6:59 PM

All replies

• Hello thegreatpablo2,

Do you mean that when you connect to a vpn through IP but it automatically change to dial up?

How do you set up the VPN?
    Have you made any changes before this issue?

Please check if you can use the domain name instead of the IP to connect to the VPN.
    We need to confirm if it is the VPN issue, please check if other users and computer can connect to the VPN normally.

Best regards,
    Fangzhou CHEN

Fangzhou CHEN
    TechNet Community Support

Sunday, January 4, 2015 5:00 PM
  • Good day!

It reverts to a dial up connection right after I have set up the connection.  I set it up following the instructions on how to set up a PPTP connection via wizard then when I view the properties of the connection it says that no device can be found and it is set up as a dial up VPN connection with no option to change it back to a VPN over internet.  

I set up the VPN by following these steps:

1.  Go to Control Panel and Network and Sharing settings

2.  Click "Set up a new connection or network"

3.  Select "Connect to a workplace" and click next

4.  Click "Use my internet connection (VPN)"

5.  I enter in the IP address that we connect to in the Internet Address and leave the rest of the fields at defaults

6.  I type in the user's credentials and click connect

7.  The connection fails with error 711 and I click "set up the connection anyway"

When I view the connection under the adapter settings in the control panel, it says "Unavailable - device missing" and the properties show it as a dial up connection with the IP address listed where the telephone number goes.  

We do not have a domain name registered or associated with the IP address for our VPN.  Other users are able to connect to the VPN without issue.

Thanks,

Paul

Monday, January 5, 2015 6:37 PM
  • Hi Paul,

Try at step 2 using the "Connect to a workplace". Im almost sure thats an option in Windows 7, if not please list for me the options as my Hyper-V box is offline at the moment so I cannot pull up Windows 7.

Regards,

M

If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)

Monday, January 5, 2015 11:03 PM
  • Hi Paul,

I have the same problem on an HP laptop, have you find a solution ?

regards,

cedric

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 1:03 PM