IE8 won't start (Nothing happens at all)

Question

• HI

i hope someone can help
    i have installed IE8 on vista home premium
    along with service pack 2

now when i try and start IE8 nothing happens (the cursor does change to loading for a couple of seconds but nothing opens)
    i have tried to open it with no add-ons, i have tried to re-install and i have also re-registered the dll's

id there a way to fix this?
    Thanks in advance
    Tuesday, June 02, 2009 7:12 PM

All replies

• Hi Tech Anthony,

Remove IE8, please.
    See:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/957700/en-us
    "How do I uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8?"

Then reinstall Internet Explorer 8.
    Read and follow carefully:
    "HOW TO solve IE8 installation problems":
    http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/InternetExplorer/thread/9c5f373e-7667-4d6c-aa10-84185dccf887

If still no joy...

Contact Microsoft, please.
    No-charge support for Internet Explorer 8 installation, set-up and usage (only) is available via the phone based on your locale through 31 December 2009. Customers must be running Windows XP or Windows Vista in a non-domain environment. US & CA Residents: 866-234-6020.  
    Other: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&prid=13043

IE8 Support page:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/support/call-us.aspx

Hope this helps,
    Vincenzo Di Russo - Microsoft MVP Windows Internet Explorer, Windows Desktop Experience & Security - Since 2003. ~~~ My MVP Profile: https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Vincenzo
    • Proposed as answer by jmcl54 Thursday, March 11, 2010 10:27 AM
    Wednesday, June 03, 2009 5:12 AM
  • Hi,

Can you run IE8 in Safe Mode with network?

Please try to run IE8 from C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer in Normal Mode. If it doesn’t work, I suggest you run a tool named Process Monitor to monitor system behavior.

If possible, please save the log and upload to Windows Live SkyDrive (http://www.skydrive.live.com/) and share the URL with us.

Thank you for your cooperation. I am looking forward to your reply.

Thanks.

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 8:53 AM
  • We have the exact same problem. Five of the Vista computers that have been updated to IE8, (some before SP2, some after), do not start when the IE8 shortcut is clicked or when an external shortcut (like in Outlook) is clicked. Task manager does not show any iexplorer's running.

IE8 will only start when the icon is clicked rapidly like a dozen or so times (which often starts 3 or 4 instances), then it's good.

Turning off protected mode caused normal behavior once, but after restoring security to default, didn't work and I wasn't able to get it to work after that.

The reason we need to get this to work with IE8 is printing from IE7 was suddenly broken late last week for certain HP printers (Laserjet 4000 and 4350). When clicking on the print button, nothing would get sent to the printer, even tho the printer icon showed up in the tray. No errors were logged and there was no indication that anything had failed. For at least one person with an older printer, IE8 is the only way we could get printing to work. For some people, upgrading to SP2 fixed the printing issue and reinstalling the printer from the original cd fixed others.

It's been a very busy couple of days for me trying to fix the stuff Microsoft broke last week.
    Wednesday, June 03, 2009 1:36 PM
  • thanks for the reply

i will try it when i go to my client this afternoon
    Wednesday, June 03, 2009 1:48 PM
  • We resolved our IE8 not starting problem by going to the Advanced tab and clicking the "Reset..." button. We did not check the checkbox on that page (regarding clearing personal info) tho.
    • Proposed as answer by RSteinwand Wednesday, June 03, 2009 7:35 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Tech Anthony Thursday, June 04, 2009 7:20 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Nikola Paunovski Friday, June 05, 2009 2:40 PM
    Wednesday, June 03, 2009 3:38 PM
  • This sounds similar to the problem I have been experiencing. I have not yet tried RSteinwand's resolution of resetting IE. I found it will run if I run it as administrator.

This is not a solution, per se, but is presented as a potential workaround in the interim to a proper fix.
    Wednesday, June 03, 2009 11:52 PM
  • HI

i have tried all the suggestions here and nothing seems to have worked
    I tried Vincenzo's method with uninstalling IE8 and re-installing with anti-virus and firewall off
    and i also tried resetting IE8 under the "advance" tab

by the way IE8 also doesn't start in safe-mode

i am going to call Microsoft (i just need to be in front of the clients pc during their operating hours in my country)

if anyone else has suggestions please post

Thanks
    Thursday, June 04, 2009 7:20 PM
  • Anthony, does it start if you click the IE icon rapidly a bazzillion times?

Does it start if you right-click and run as administrator (which I wouldn't recommend except for testing)?
    Thursday, June 04, 2009 8:15 PM
  • nope tried clicking the icon like 15-20 times repeatedly
    i have also tried the run as administrator which also doesn't work
    Thursday, June 04, 2009 8:19 PM
  • Hi Anthony,

In order to troubleshoot the issue efficiently, please help us collect following information.

1) Download Process Monitor v2.04 from the following website.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx
    2) Launch Process Monitor
    3) Please apply default filter to start monitor.
    4) Try to run IE.
    7) Switch to the Process Monitor window and press Ctrl+E to stop the monitor.
    8) Press Ctrl+S to save the monitor file named test.

Please upload the file to Windows Live SkyDrive (http://www.skydrive.live.com/) and let us know URL.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Friday, June 05, 2009 2:25 AM
  • nope tried clicking the icon like 15-20 times repeatedly
    i have also tried the run as administrator which also doesn't work

Not sure what's going on there, but resetting has fixed five computers (100%) here that couldn't launch IE8, all were 32 bit Vista Business.
    Friday, June 05, 2009 1:33 PM
  • I have the same problem. Attached is a procmon logfile: http://cid-667bd3afb1fc1b18.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/Logfile.PML

I was able to start it once running the "without add-ons", but it doesn't work anymore.
    Friday, June 05, 2009 2:14 PM
  • This worked for me
    Thank you
    Friday, June 05, 2009 2:40 PM
  • I have the same problem. Attached is a procmon logfile: http://cid-667bd3afb1fc1b18.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/Logfile.PML

I was able to start it once running the "without add-ons", but it doesn't work anymore.

Hi Jarppis,

Please understand that in order to avoid possible confusion and make our discussion clear, it is highly we work on one issue in each thread. Therefore, I would like to suggest that opening a new thread in this forum. Then, please let us know the URL and we'll be very glad to work with you.

Thanks
    Monday, June 08, 2009 9:41 AM
  • Hi Anthony,

I would appreciate it if you could drop me a note to let me know the status of the issue in the thread. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to let me know. I am happy to be of assistance.

Thanks.

Monday, June 08, 2009 9:42 AM
  • Hi Robinson Zhang,

I have the exact same problem than the thread starter, so I do not understand why I couldn't upload a file? Should I still open a new thread with the exact same problem description than the thread starter --> cannot open IE8 at all? If yes, I can do that.

br,
    Jarno
    Monday, June 08, 2009 10:08 AM
  • Hi Robinson Zhang

i am still trying to solve the problem.
    i am planning on calling Microsoft Support in regards to this problem on thursday. unfortunately something more important has come up which has forced me to postpone my problem solving for a couple of days.

once i have spoken to support and i'm hoping they help fix the problem i am planning on posting the solution
    Monday, June 08, 2009 3:17 PM
  • Hi Anthony,

Posting solution on forum is highly appreciated. Again, thank you for your time and efforts on the issue.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 9:25 AM
  • In order to troubleshoot the issue efficiently, please help us collect following information.

1) Download Process Monitor v2.04 from the following website...
    [ ... ]
    Please upload the file to Windows Live SkyDrive (http://www.skydrive.live.com/) and let us know URL.

Hi Robinson Zhang,

I have exact the same problem with IE8 + Vista SP2 - let me contribute with the "test.zip" as requested, prepared as described in your post. The url below please:
    http://cid-08cb3b876caf8cd5.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/test.zip

Thanks
    Monday, June 15, 2009 5:01 PM
  • In order to troubleshoot the issue efficiently, please help us collect following information.

1) Download Process Monitor v2.04 from the following website...
    [ ... ]

Hi Robinson Zhang,

I have exact the same problem with IE8 + Vista SP2 - let me contribute with the "test.zip" as requested, prepared as described in your post. The url below please:
    http://cid-08cb3b876caf8cd5.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/test.zip

Thanks

Hi Greg,

As I mentioned, in order to avoid possible confusion and make our discussion clear, it is highly we work on one issue in each thread. Therefore, I would like to suggest that opening a new thread in this forum. Then, please let us know the URL and we'll be very glad to work with you.

Thanks
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 6:29 AM
  • Hi Anthony,

Just want to say Hi, and I was wondering how everything is going. If anything is unclear, please let me know. It is my pleasure to be of assistance. Thanks! :)

Thursday, June 18, 2009 1:37 AM
  • its going okay thanks.

I spoke to a microsoft support technician last week and we weren't able to solve the problem.
    so he asked me to use a program called "Hijackthis" and create a log

and send hime the log
    from there he has to check the log to see whats happening

its taken a little coz there have been a couple of public holidays
    i will post the solution once we get it working
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 6:11 AM
  • Hi Anthony,

How are you doing? I am just writing to see if the problem has been resolved. If you would like further assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Thanks, and have a great day!
    Monday, June 29, 2009 1:50 AM
  • Hi

I have been speaking to the microsoft technician and we have tried a whole bunch of solutions including the ones listed here and none of them have worked.
    we have now agreed that the best solution is to reinstall windows unfortunately.

Thanks everyone for the help

Monday, June 29, 2009 6:04 AM
  • Hi Anthony,

You're welcome. Glad to help and thank you very much for your feedback and update.

Cheers and good luck!
    Vincenzo Di Russo - Microsoft MVP Windows Internet Explorer, Windows Desktop Experience & Security - Since 2003. ~~~ My MVP Profile: https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Vincenzo
    Monday, June 29, 2009 6:08 AM
  • I had the same problem. Rapidly klicking did start IE8 for the first time or run as administrator. When one IE8 opened, extra IE8 opens normaly, so only for the first IE8 windows needed rapdly clicking or run as adminsitrator. When disabling the Sophos Web Content Scanner there was no problem. Other Add-ons didn't gave a problem.

Hope this will help. Do other people use this same add-on?

With this solution I googled a bit more and found this:

http://www.sophos.com/support/knowledgebase/article/59284.html

Good luck
    Thursday, July 09, 2009 7:55 PM
  • i have had this same problem with IE8 with nothin happening & coming up with errors, i have tried restoring to an earlier time with no luck.
    i have just unistalled IE8 (remembering IE8 is an update so when u go to uninstall programs u need to click on VIEW INSTALLED UPDATES on the left then scroll down to find WINDOWS IE8  & double click it & uninstall then restart ) it has fixed the problem for me so i hope it works for every1 else & get rid of  IE8 its ____
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 11:45 AM
  • Hi Mate, I've spent all day trying to solve this for one of my customers!
    seems that a lot of people have had this problem recently, the pc would not load IE8 (or 7 once rolled back) at all, even after un-installing and re- installing the current versions etc.
    It would not run after resetting IE in the internet options or run with all addins disabled.

it Would however run if you booted the pc into safe mode......
    meaning it's not a problem with the install..

I created a new user account (with admin rights) to check it wasnt to do with the user profile. still nothing....

then i started removing other software off the system....

i removed

imesh - some research addin that hooks into IE - rebooted, still nothing..

then i removed google desktop...

SUCCESS!! IE 7 & 8 both work perfectly now!

it seems that google desktop is damaging the IE setup somehow and removing the desktop software (not just google toolbar) seems to clear the problems! :)

give this a try and let me know if it works for you too!!

Cheers

Eric
    http://www.etl-services.co.uk
    • Proposed as answer by MarkyMark77 Wednesday, February 24, 2010 7:26 PM
    Monday, January 04, 2010 7:07 PM
  • Removing google desktop worked for me! Before removing it, when starting IE, a new IE process started but the application didn't. You saved a lot of work for me and made my daughter very happy,

Br Finnish snowberry

• Proposed as answer by MarkyMark77 Wednesday, February 24, 2010 7:27 PM
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 8:17 AM
  • Hi Eric
    I also had a customers computer that would not open IE 8 in Vista & like you spent a considerable time trying to solve the problem, I then trolled Microsoft for solutions with no success then as you did started deleting programs.
    I also found Google desktop to be a problem & a program called (internet explorer optimizer) also causing problems once these 2 programs were uninstalled IE 8 now works fine.
    Hope this helps someone.
    Cheer's Mick
    • Proposed as answer by MarkyMark77 Wednesday, February 24, 2010 7:27 PM
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 9:16 AM
  • After uninstalling Freecorder 4 Toolbar from IE8 on XP PC (using Control Panel > Uninstall Programs) IE8 launched right up! Thanks for the tip Eric at ETL Computers !!!
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 7:30 PM

• IE8 on my XP PC stopped launching. I didn't have any Google Toolbars, but I DID have Freecorder 4 Toolbar. I uninstalled the toolbar (Control Panel > Uninstall Programs) and IE8 started right up !

Thanks for the tip "Eric at ETL Computers" !!!
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 7:35 PM
  • Hi

I had tried most of the answers on this page and had no joy with any of them .I was told to try this fix and it worked first time ,
    Type run and enter SFC/SCANNOW Windows verification.then was prompted to run windows XP installation disc.do not reinstall windows.

It worked.

Hope this helps.
    Monday, March 15, 2010 3:45 PM
  • I think I've found the problem with IE8 not starting. I have SpyBot Search and Destroy and I love it, but I think it is causing the problem. My problem with IE8 started after I did the last SpyBot update and ran immunize. After a lot of experimentation I found the the IE8 problem can be corrected by going to the control paned and opening Internet options and going to the Advanced tab. Then click reset. This will clear the SpyBot Immunisations that have been applied and restore IE8 default settings. Now restart your system. Everything should be back to normal and IE8 will ask you for new install information. To prove the SpyBot Immunization is the problem, run immunization again and see if you can start IE8.

Monday, June 28, 2010 1:31 AM
  • 1) Uninstall IE

2) Install Firefox

• Proposed as answer by kp3651 Thursday, July 15, 2010 12:29 AM
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 12:28 AM
  • The easiest way out of all this is to goto Windows Explorer and in the address bar type any URL, say google.com. 

That brings up the first instance of IE 8.

Once that comes up, all future instances will open up.

I don't know what is wrong with IE, but they should fix it.

I wonder why this issue has not been identified, recreated and fixed by Microsoft yet. Lack of testing maybe.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 2:52 PM