none
Re-install IE9 fails

Question

• Some aspects of IE9 not running (e. g., cookies blocked, no matter trying 'restore defaults', and every possible cookies setting) So, I looked for "repair" setting (not found); so I tried downloading IE9 install package. It Fails, "newer version already installed".
    I tried uninstall per KB instructions, and re-install still fails. "unknown" error (but showed error 3715). 
    Searched KB ("Help" of course, is unavailable, since I can't install;  and there is no rollback to any earlier version.
    Found in your tech center, Q&A for "AndyMcH" tried command-line instruction, "not found".
    REGEDIT search for version entries, (DID NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES) Only entry found matched version I was trying to install.  (From .log file) 

Discovered that KB uninstall (I presume) (with reboots every time requested) apparently has clobbered MS OUTLOOK *AND* Windows Live Mail. 

QUESTION, obviously, is how do I accomplish IE9 re-installation??

And a COMMENT, for IE programmers, is WHY IS THIS SO FREAKING HARD - OBTUSE?

With all due respect, Yours, 
    Diarmid Connell

(P. S. to search and post required login... I HAVE logged in before, but ID shows already taken. Had to log in as new.

...And please be sure to reply to "connelldiarm@yahoo.com" since other options, OUTLOOK and LIVE - won't work!

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 7:50 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please run this command in elevated CMD.

FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*9.*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package@fname&&start /wpkgmgr /up:@fname /norestart"

If the error message is THE SPECIFIED FILE CAN NOT BE FOUND. You may copy the files which match Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*9.*.mum from a working computer, then paste to the corresponding folder and try the command again.

If it still does not help, The easiest way to uninstall IE 9 is to make an In-place upgrade.

Thanks for understanding.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 6:02 AM