Bing Search API Misinterpreted RRS feed

• Question

• Just wanted to let you know something is not right in regards API for The Bing Search and you will need to correct it.

No way would any one want to subscribe to Bing API for the simple resson is said below.

I just Made a new account and acquired the free Bing API for upto 5000 transactions. I then placed the API key and then to test it I typed the word “search” I saw 1 page of the web results and then clicked on images and saw 1 page of images all great upto that point.

My next step was to relogin at Windows Azure and look to see how many transactions were used I was shocked….

480 transactions were used for me viewing 1 page of web results and 1 page of images results this is not correctly configured no way….

If you fail to correct and be fair This Bing API is not for advertisers neither for Bing developers.

Bing spoke of the transfer to Azure Market place and spoke that $40 would give you 20000 quies.Never spoke that 1 query would relate a 200 transaction and thats the way you will be charged how can Microsoft forgot to mention it?  Is that Misinterpreted by Windows Azure Market place?

Friday, August 10, 2012 2:03 PM

Answers

• https://datamarket.azure.com/account/datasets should show it to you.
    • Proposed as answer by Veerendra Kumar Thursday, August 16, 2012 7:15 AM
    • Marked as answer by Arwind - MSFT Thursday, August 16, 2012 11:06 AM
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 12:45 AM

All replies

• What do you mean when you say you "typed the word 'search'"? Where?

My experience: I signed up for the Bing search API yesterday (free tier) to help someone write some Python code to use it. I made a few calls during testing to the API (web searches for "xbox" with no $top parameter). I just checked, and I have 4,996 transactions remaining out of the 5,000 I started with.

Friday, August 10, 2012 4:31 PM
  • You haven't a clue on what im trying to explain have you?
    Friday, August 10, 2012 5:43 PM
  • Um, I guess not?

I thought you were saying that performing two searches consumed 480 transactions. I was trying to help by clarifying what exactly you did and telling you what happened when I did something similar. (I did a few searches, and that consumed a few transactions, suggesting a one-to-one ratio, as documented.)

If I misunderstood what you were asking, please clarify.

Friday, August 10, 2012 9:37 PM
  • Where can you see this counter? I just found out I seem to have already spent all 5000 searches and I wouldn't know how.

Is there any place where one can see daily statistics of one's usages? 

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 11:17 PM
  • https://datamarket.azure.com/account/datasets should show it to you.
    • Proposed as answer by Veerendra Kumar Thursday, August 16, 2012 7:15 AM
    • Marked as answer by Arwind - MSFT Thursday, August 16, 2012 11:06 AM
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 12:45 AM
  • Where did you get this trial? We have been looking half the morning and are struggling with the volume of non specific information.

We are wanting to trial Bing for the web, is that what you are doing?

Any information would be helpful

Thursday, October 11, 2012 4:05 AM