none
IE 11 Browser Language

Question

• I am trying to take screenshots of a website that we have translated into Spanish.  All the content displays in the correct language, but I cannot figure out how to make the "File Upload" button show as it would for someone using a Spanish version of Windows.

I have:

• Upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate.
    • Set my language under Regional/Language to Spanish.
    • Changed the Language in IE's Internet Options - Language Preference to Spanish.
    • Downgraded to IE 10, and re-installed IE 11 from a Spanish language link: http://windows.microsoft.com/es-MX/internet-explorer/download-ie .
    • Reset IE settings, including deleting personal settings.

After all of these attempts:

• Windows start menu and other OS elements appear to be in Spanish.
    • Other applications seem to have detected my language and react appropriately (eg, GIMP).
    • BUT, Internet Explorer itself remains entirely in English, apart from setting my homepage to the Spanish version of MSN.

Please help!  I just want to see Internet Explorer the way somebody would that is using it in Mexico, and I was expecting that the upgrade to Ultimate and setting my language to Spanish would have done that.  Thanks.

Tuesday, June 03, 2014 9:46 PM

Answers

• Hi,

that's a Windows setting (Control Panel>Region and Language)... depending on your windows version(you did not include that with your question) you need to install the Spanish language pack (Optional windows update), apply it, change your windows language preferences then reboot to apply the changes.

Windows 8.1 has a better language UX, and once the language packs are installed you can swap UI languages without rebooting.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 7:26 AM

All replies

• From IE:
      • Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.

• Click the General tab, and then click Languages.

• In the Language Preference dialog box, click Add.

• In the Add Language dialog box, select a language from the list, and then click OK.

• Repeat steps 4 and 5 until you have added all of the languages you want to use.

• Click OK twice.

.bill

Regards, Bill Moore @BMooreAtDell

Wednesday, June 04, 2014 3:09 AM
  • @Bill, thanks for the reply, but your proposed solution does not solve my problem.  A simple test for what I'm looking for is: once done, are the actual IE menus translated?  EG: I'd expect the IE "Internet Options" menu item to now read "Opciones de Internet" or something.  Maybe my original question isn't stated well, so I'll pose it differently.

We want to take screen shots that show a user how to change their browser settings.  Some of our users are in countries outside the US and speak languages that aren't English.  We want to see what things look like for them so that training materials can be prepared that make sense.  Our developers are (mostly) English speakers in the US, and we can't find a way to get our IE to look like the various IE versions of our international users.

(PS, I can't seem to reply to your actual post.  The reply link seems nonfunctional.)
    Monday, June 16, 2014 3:05 PM
  • Hi,

that's a Windows setting (Control Panel>Region and Language)... depending on your windows version(you did not include that with your question) you need to install the Spanish language pack (Optional windows update), apply it, change your windows language preferences then reboot to apply the changes.

Windows 8.1 has a better language UX, and once the language packs are installed you can swap UI languages without rebooting.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 7:26 AM
  • I had tried all of this before, to no avail, but after downgrading to IE10, then switching the OS language to Spanish, then installing IE11 from the MX link I had above, I finally see the IE menus displayed in Spanish.  Not sure where I went wrong originally, but it did eventually work for me :)
    • Edited by George S Jones Monday, June 23, 2014 6:20 PM tried the whole process again, got different results.
    Monday, June 23, 2014 5:38 PM
  • If this is an input element with type="file", what happens when using Firefox or Chrome?

Doesn't IE and Firefox show a "Browse" button while Webkit browsers (Chrome, Safari etc) show a "Choose File" button?

Wouldn't you prefer a consistent cross-browser look?

Normally inputs cannot be styled very much including, in this case, changing the button text but the web is littered with workarounds eg

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/572768/styling-an-input-type-file-button

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1944267/how-to-change-the-button-text-of-input-type-file
    Monday, June 23, 2014 7:08 PM
  • Yes, it would be nice if the browsers were consistent on this without having to come up with some kind of workaround.  I did test in Chrome, and changing the language is so much less of a headache there, and it does translate the file input button.  It isn't the same translation, but the English labels in these browsers aren't the same, either.
    Tuesday, June 24, 2014 2:24 PM