none
How do I get enhanced mode for quick-created Ubuntu in Hyper-V on Windows 10? RRS feed

• Question

• I am running an Ubuntu 18.04 VM in Windows 10 through Hyper-V. I have set up the Ubuntu system through the quick create option within the Hyper-V manager. I thought this would give me 'enhanced mode' automatically, but I am not getting the benefits I was expecting. Specifically, the graphics are a bit sluggish, there is no easy way to share files between Ubuntu and Windows and there is no shared clipboard. Other things that point towards the absence of enhanced mode are that I don't get to choose a resolution when I log into Ubuntu and it doesn't look like I'm using some kind of remote desktop connection. xrdp is running in Ubuntu nevertheless, but I did't install it. I did set the resolution to something higher to match my laptop's screen in GRUB.

(And I am not logging into Ubuntu automatically.)

How can I tell if I am in enhanced mode? Why am I not getting the benefits? How do I get enhanced mode?

Thanks!

Friday, June 7, 2019 6:31 AM

Answers

• Hi ,

Sorry for the delayed response.

>>Searching the web I found EnhancedSessionTransportType requires Version 1803 of Windows 10 whereas I have 1709.

Yes, as far as I know, it will only work on windows 10 1803.

>> I think updates are managed by my organization, so I am not sure if I an install the update. 

You might contact your organization to see if you could upgrade to 1803.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 2:39 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

For how to manually configure xRDP to support ‘Enhanced Session Mode’ , please refer to the following steps:

1.Get the scripts from GitHub.

2.Make the scripts executable and run:

cd ~/xrdp-init/ubuntu/18.04/
    sudo chmod +x install.sh
    sudo ./install.sh
    reboot

3.<After Reboot> Run script again to finish setting up VM:

cd ~/xrdp-init/ubuntu/18.04/
    sudo ./install.sh

4.Shutdown Ubuntu VM

5.Register Ubuntu Session ~ run this command on host PC using powershell with admin rights:

Set-VM -VMName YourUbuntuVMNameHere -EnhancedSessionTransportType HvSocket

6.Restart VM

7.Connect/Login to XRDP from Hyper-V.

For more details, please refer to the following link:

A guide how to run Ubuntu 18.04 in Enhanced Mode in Hyper-V

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

>>How can I tell if I am in enhanced mode? 

You can check to see what type of connection you have using the Enhanced Session mode icon in the top of the Virtual Machine Connect tool (VMConnect).

>>Other things that point towards the absence of enhanced mode are that I don't get to choose a resolution

Did you try to modify the grub file to change the resolution?

Best Regards,

Candy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Friday, June 7, 2019 8:42 AM
  • Hi ,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.                  

Best Regards,

Candy

Monday, June 10, 2019 2:13 AM
  • Hi Candy,

Thank you for your help.

Unfortunately, step 5 gives me an error:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Set-VM -VMName "Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS" -EnhancedSessionTransportType HvSocket
    Set-VM : A parameter cannot be found that matches parameter name 'EnhancedSessionTransportType'.
    At line:1 char:37
    + ... VM -VMName "Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS" -EnhancedSessionTransportType HvSocke ...
    +                                     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Set-VM], ParameterBindingException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NamedParameterNotFound,Microsoft.HyperV.PowerShell.Commands.SetVM

Searching the web I found EnhancedSessionTransportType requires Version 1803 of Windows 10 whereas I have 1709. I think updates are managed by my organization, so I am not sure if I an install the update. 

Monday, June 10, 2019 11:46 AM
  • Hi ,

Sorry for the delayed response.

>>Searching the web I found EnhancedSessionTransportType requires Version 1803 of Windows 10 whereas I have 1709.

Yes, as far as I know, it will only work on windows 10 1803.

>> I think updates are managed by my organization, so I am not sure if I an install the update. 

You might contact your organization to see if you could upgrade to 1803.

Best Regards,

Candy

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 2:39 AM
  • Hi ,

Did you have any updates on this issue?

Best Regards,

Candy

Friday, June 14, 2019 6:58 AM
  • Hi ,

You could mark the useful reply as answer if you want to end this thread up.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,

Candy

Thursday, June 20, 2019 7:37 AM