none
IE9 Uninstall Issues with Windows 2k8 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Having discovered that IE9 and Exchange 2010, do not play well with each other, i.e. you can't close the Exchange console down, and have to do a forced log off to close it, I uninstalled IE9 via control panel->uninstall a program->view installed updates from our Exchange 2010 server.  The uninstall of IE9 did not complete successfully.  I cannot reinstall IE9, via Windows Update, WSUS, or the stand alone install package.  It is also no longer listed in installed updates anymore.  The stand alone install package gives you a message indicating that a newer version of IE is already installed.  If you click on the icon, which is still the IE9 version, IE flashes for a split second and then closes.  The process doesn't even show up in Task Manager when clicking on the icon. I have tried third party registry cleaners, but they won't run giving an error of "SRCLIENT.DLL is missing." Would like to completely uninstall IE9 and revert back to IE8.  Thinking about a repair on Win 2k8 R2, but the system has no problems booting.

The system is a Hyper-V virtual machine running Windows 2k8 R2 SP1 and Exchange 2010.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 4:36 PM

Answers

• Fix it. As a last ditch effort, I ran "sfc /scannow" at an elevated command prompt and this fixed my problem.  It found and corrected many errors.  Looking at the log it was all IE based errors.  After a reboot, WSUS installed the latest updates for IE8 successfully.  The shortcut icon is still IE9, but the running version is IE8.

• Marked as answer by RaiderPilot Tuesday, June 28, 2011 5:38 PM
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011 5:38 PM