none
Error: Subreport could not be shown. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a problem with a report containing a subreport not running successfully when deployed to the Report Server.

The report runs successfully every time in the VS Development environment, so parameters are all setup correctly and the result is as expected accross the whole report.

No errors or warnings are listed when building or deploying.

the subreport is in the same project as the main report and deployed to the same folder in Report Manager. the individual subreport runs successfully in VS Studio (Preview Tab) and in the Report Manager portal.

the main report runs but shows the error "Subreport could not be shown" for the subreport.

Running SQL 2008 R2 Please advise.

Saturday, September 3, 2011 9:27 AM

Answers

• Hi Mina N,

There is no need to change the data source of subreport. For the error “Subreport could not be shown”, it can be caused by various reasons:

·         Make sure that you have upload both latest main report and subreport to the report server by overwrite the original ones, as described here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/sqlreportingservices/thread/0f556b62-20df-4266-a5ef-008c221d3b6d

·         Make sure that the Data Source of the subreport has been configured correctly on Report Manager

1. Navigate to the Security page of the subreport

2. In the security page, click Data Sources tab, choose the shared data source you have used in subreport

If all information verified and the issue still exists, could you please post more error message reported in the log file (My server has the logs at: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\Reporting Services\LogFiles)?

Thanks,
    Lola

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 8:07 AM

All replies

• Does  Main Reports passes every parameter Correctly to the SubReport?

Saturday, September 3, 2011 10:09 AM
  • yes!!!still doesn't work
    Saturday, September 3, 2011 11:51 AM
  • actually it works on VS Development environment very good,

but after deploying i just get that error(subreport could not be shown)

Saturday, September 3, 2011 12:00 PM
  • Please have a look at this

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqlreportingservices/thread/fd14aa89-4984-4b28-9fea-9fc2255727c1

Saturday, September 3, 2011 1:39 PM
  • i deployed the report and subreport and set connections for them, still have problems
    Sunday, September 4, 2011 4:18 AM
  • i just used a same shared data source for main report and the subreport, should i change that??
    Sunday, September 4, 2011 4:42 AM
  • Hi Mina N,

There is no need to change the data source of subreport. For the error “Subreport could not be shown”, it can be caused by various reasons:

·         Make sure that you have upload both latest main report and subreport to the report server by overwrite the original ones, as described here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/sqlreportingservices/thread/0f556b62-20df-4266-a5ef-008c221d3b6d

·         Make sure that the Data Source of the subreport has been configured correctly on Report Manager

1. Navigate to the Security page of the subreport

2. In the security page, click Data Sources tab, choose the shared data source you have used in subreport

If all information verified and the issue still exists, could you please post more error message reported in the log file (My server has the logs at: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\Reporting Services\LogFiles)?

Thanks,
    Lola

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 8:07 AM
  • thx alot it worked :D

Monday, September 12, 2011 5:45 AM
  • Hello

I had the same error it was the link to my data source that was wrong, I saved the rdl and changed that link. It worked fine afterwards 

Thanks

Momo

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 1:25 PM
  • Don't forget the easy solutions -- make sure parameters are set up correctly on the sub reports.  I see where it was asked if parameters were passed right but one answer here was "this can happen for a lot of reasons ...: and while that may be true, most errors happen with report builder due to SIMPLE ones.  And there are only a few. :)

Michael Durthaler

Monday, January 6, 2014 5:01 PM
  • I realise a few years have gone by since the issue was listed but - for anyone else who stumbles across this page seeking a resolution - I also experienced this issue. I ultimately traced my problem to the fact that, in the Subreport Properties window, I had included the '.rdl' extension in the field: 'Use this report as a subreport' - e.g. 'CoverPage.rdl'.  The subreport rendered fine in Visual Studio but not after uploading the report to the SSRS Server. Referencing the subreport without the .rdl file extension resolved the problem.
    Monday, June 26, 2017 2:28 AM
  • I came here looking for a solution to the 'Subreport could not be shown' error. 

This is SQL Server 2012

In my case, even though I re-deployed the subreport and could see the date change, it did not work until I deleted the subreport on the server and then re-deployed it.

So a clean deploy may help in some situations.

Wednesday, April 18, 2018 2:05 AM
  • I had the same problem with my report and here is what I did to fix it (Might not be the perfect way, but it works)

I just delete the subreport and re-insert and it works fine...

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 2:06 PM
  • This is also many years later, but this one the first forum posts I found when researching this issue so I thought I would pay it forward here. 

None of the solutions here worked for me but I did end up figuring out what the problem was.  It was kind of a "duhh" solution but here it is:

Users who could run the report using the subreport would get this error if they did not have rights to run the main report as well.  I had to give each user that had rights to the subreport rights to the main report as well.

I had to do a little tinkering on my part to make this work with our own rights structure while keeping it easy to manage which I wont go into details about but hopefully this can at least point someone in the right direction.

Friday, July 20, 2018 6:18 PM
  • SolidTyler, Thanks for your post that led me to identify the cause and solution of my issue. I had a parent report with subreports that I use for a header and footer of our corporate reports. When reports were run, the subreports returned the error: Subreport could not be shown

After reading your post, I discovered that my two subreports, although in the same folder of the parent reports, had their own custom security. All the parent reports use the parent folder's security. My fix was to revert the security of the subreports to the parent folder and now the subreports are working.

Wednesday, August 15, 2018 10:03 PM
  • ^^This! After exhausting nearly every avenue, your small but mighty reminder fixed my situation. I checked the modified date on the report server and realized that the main report was not actually updating after my first initial deploy. I removed the original main report as well as the subreport and am back in business. Thank you!
    Thursday, October 17, 2019 12:44 AM
  • Hi,

It might be all of you have different issue, but I am explaining here how I resolve the issue.

If you are using subreport from same folder, please check subreport properties remove the path and keep only subreport file name.

E.g. if your path for subreport is '/xyz/report1' you need to just keep 'report1'

Thanks .

• Proposed as answer by Sanjay Khot Wednesday, November 13, 2019 8:10 AM
    Wednesday, November 13, 2019 8:09 AM