Internet Explorer 7 XP2 Freezing Up Help!

Question

• The last few days I have noticed my Internet Explorer is freezing up constantly, It would do it befor once in a while but this is every other time I use it. Running XP2 IE7 version 7.05730.11 ,Page will come up then freeze. If I try to close window box comes up saying window must close

Thursday, September 13, 2007 4:28 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

A few things you could check.  First off, make sure you aren't loading a whole bunch off Add-ons into IE

Launch IE and go to Tools > Manage Add-ons

Disable anything that doesn't look right.

An alternative to that would be to start IE 7 in Safe Mode (ie no Add-ons get loaded)

Start > Programs Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)

If everything works find without the Add-ons you know it's one of them that is make a mess of ie.

If that still doesn't fix your problem, you can you the Windows File Protection Service to fix IE7

Start > Run > sfc /scannow

Good luck,

Mike Clarke
    http://mystyleit.com
    CLS, WSCP, MCP, MCTS, MCSA+M, MCSE+M

Friday, December 07, 2007 9:47 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the post.

Please understand this Forum is for Windows Vista related issues. Regarding issues about Window XP, please submit them to Windows XP Newsgroup since the engineers there are more specialize.

For your reference, I’ve included the link of Windows XP Newsgroup website:

Windows XP Newsgroup
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Sincerely,

Joson Zhou

Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, January 17, 2008 6:46 AM

All replies

• This is happening to me too.  After entering a URL in the address bar and hitting enter, everything freezes up. 

HELP

• Proposed as answer by Deskspud Monday, April 26, 2010 5:51 PM
    Friday, December 07, 2007 9:19 PM
  •  

Hi,

A few things you could check.  First off, make sure you aren't loading a whole bunch off Add-ons into IE

Launch IE and go to Tools > Manage Add-ons

Disable anything that doesn't look right.

An alternative to that would be to start IE 7 in Safe Mode (ie no Add-ons get loaded)

Start > Programs Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)

If everything works find without the Add-ons you know it's one of them that is make a mess of ie.

If that still doesn't fix your problem, you can you the Windows File Protection Service to fix IE7

Start > Run > sfc /scannow

Good luck,

Mike Clarke

Friday, December 07, 2007 9:47 PM
  •  

If above doesnt help and if you feel the need to Repair Internet Explorer, then this article will guide you. Also if your Internet Explorer Freezes or Restarts frequently, check out Microsoft's Interactive SelfHelpPage for IE7. Also see if something this article will guide you. Also if your Internet Explorer Freezes or Restarts frequently, check out Microsoft's Interactive SelfHelpPage for IE7. Also see if something here helps you.

Sunday, December 09, 2007 8:27 AM
  • Same thing was happening to me. I disabled a bunch of add-ons...specifically Yahoo and Comcast toolbars. IE7 is working fine now.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 3:45 AM
  • Thank you, thank you, thank you!  It was the add ons!  Works like a charm now!

Friday, January 11, 2008 7:06 PM
  • Glad to hear it!

Mike Clarke

Friday, January 11, 2008 8:40 PM
  • the same thing with freezing happend to me .what can i do to solf this problem
    Wednesday, January 16, 2008 10:00 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the post.

Please understand this Forum is for Windows Vista related issues. Regarding issues about Window XP, please submit them to Windows XP Newsgroup since the engineers there are more specialize.

For your reference, I’ve included the link of Windows XP Newsgroup website:

Windows XP Newsgroup
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Sincerely,

Joson Zhou

Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, January 17, 2008 6:46 AM
  • I have Vista Home Premium (32-bit) on a Gateway.  After I downloaded some Microsoft updates on 2/13/08, IE7 began freezing up to the point that my computer is essentially useless - which is a shame since it is less than 1 year old. 

I have done all the suggestions I have found on Microsoft pages.  I uninstalled Quicken Simple Steps that I downloaded around that time.  I uninstalled CA antivirus software/firewall that I also downloaded around that time.  I uninstalled each downloaded update (except that I could not uninstall KB938371 which I also had trouble downloading to begin with).  I reset IE7 settings and disabled every single add-on.  I ran Microsofts malicious software removal tool and Live One Care.  I have run Ad Aware.  Nothing turned up on any of them.  I disabled automatic website checking and Phishing filter.  After all of that, I downloaded Mozilla's Firefox to see if that worked better - it still froze up just like IE7. 

I have done every single thing suggested except wipe my hard drive and start from scratch.  PLEASE help!  Was there a problem with the latest batch of downloads from Microsoft?  What else can I do to fix this?  Is it KB938371? 

Friday, February 22, 2008 2:44 AM
  • I've seen numerous discussions concerning this one and I have addressed it a few times. Bear in mind that this is just one solution to a problem that may have numerous causes, however if you've been dealing with this issue, then you'll know it's worth looking into.

Problem:
    If you have upgraded your browser from IE 6 to IE 7 -Or from IE 7 to IE 8, you should also be looking into the add-ons that you installed when you had the older versions of Internet Explorer.

The companies who created the add-ons doesn't always upgrade them when Microsoft releases its new version of IE. So there's always a chance of some add-ons to be incompatible with the new version of the Internet Explorer.

Solution:
    In the Internet Explorer: Go to Tools => Internet Options => Programs (Tab) and then click on 'Manage Add-ons'. From the list of add-ons, disable all add-ons except for those in the Microsoft Publisher list.

One example of a known problem with add-ons is Skype's add-on. If you have it , remove and get the latest from the Skype's web site.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the problem still persists after doing this then here are some trouble-shooting steps you may try :

1. Run your anti-virus and an anti-spyware, to check for malware infections. MSE is a good freeware AV from Microsoft.

2. Clear Cache. Or else run your Junk Cleaner or CCleaner. In IE 7 or 8, click Tools > Internet options > Security > Reset all Zones to Default level

3. If still you find your IE giving problems, close it and run IE (No Add-ons). This opens up the browser without loading any add-ons, toolbars or plug-ins.

4. Run sfc /scannow and at the end reboot if asked for. This will replace corrupted system files if any.

5. In Internet Options, go to Advanced Tab and click on Reset tab. Restart IE. This step deletes all temp files, disables any add-ons, plug-ins, toolbars and also resets all changed settings to default. Although this is a quick-fix, you will have to re-install the add-ons. The settings which are affected by this are mentioned here.

Cheers !

Rajiv Singh Suwal
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 8:39 PM
  • tried this. My computer won't allow me to run sfc/scannow. It wants an admin. I am the admin, home computer, 1 user

removed all add-ons no help

Monday, April 26, 2010 5:50 PM