none
Update Keeps Installing and Failing RRS feed

• Question

• First off, I'm the end user who has admin rights.

An update file keeps trying to install but fails. I've contacted my IT department for assistance but it's been a week and no progress has been made. 

The program was uninstalled by the IT department but an update for the program keeps trying to install. Of course it's going to fail since the program isn't on my PC. The unfortunate part is that I need that program to do my job but I cannot reinstall the program because the update is still hanging out in Software Center.

Things I've tried:

1) Delete the program folder in Program Files (x86) and run all the Actions in Configuration Manager. The program folder is just added to Program Files (x86) again and the update fails. 

2) Deleted all temp folders on the PC and retried number 1. No luck.

3) Deleted the Cache in Configuration Manager (ccmcache I believe is the folder name). Retried number 1. The program decided to download the update and try to install it. Again it failed.

I just want the update file gone from my PC and from Software Center. How do I do this? NOTE: I'm not an IT guy, just an engineer.

Once it's gone, I'll download the actual program file and hopefully the problem will be fixed.

TLDR: you may ask why the update file failed to begin with. I had HyperV installed on my PC. Didn't use the program but it confused my PC into thinking it had multiple IP addresses depending on how it was connected to the internet. Apparently this caused the update to fail since the IP address kept switching between dynamic and static.

Monday, August 12, 2019 2:12 PM

All replies

• by doing #3, you've completely confused the CM client. You really want to contact your IT department and let them know that you've deleted CCMCache manually...without using the CM client SDK actions to do so.  They will either need to "attempt" to fix the client's cache issues (which are sometimes successful, but may not be), or they will have to uninstall and reinstall the CM client.

Removing "something" from Software center is NOT something you can do locally at the client.  That's based on policies deserved and evaluated. 

You're going to have to work with your IT department on this issue.  Why a particular update is failing--again, you'll need to work with your IT department.  The logic for why something is deserved, why something is installing, how it is installing--all of that is based on policies and definitions by your IT department.  They are the only ones who can look at the policy definition, and work through the issues.

Standardize. Simplify. Automate.

Monday, August 12, 2019 4:32 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. I was worried this was going to be the case. I feel like it's something straight forward to repair which is why me waiting a week and still no fix bothers me.

Maybe I misspoke in #3. I did not manually delete any folders (by manual I mean go into folder ccmcache, click on a folder, and press delete). I just cleared the cache using configuration manager.  When I performed #1 after doing so another folder was added with the exact same info as before, just with a newer date.

Monday, August 12, 2019 4:44 PM