none
Add a network location ERROR: "The folder you entered does not appear to be valid. Please choose another." RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently added a network location on a local PC (windows 10). The shared folder (test folder and test user) is located on a server with Windows Server 2012 R2. It worked perfectly fine with the test folder and user. I then went on to add a extra drive to the server and added the actual file I wanted to share with the correct users and tried to share it just as before with the test folder. Now when I try to map this folder on a local PC (have tried on more than 1) connected to the local network I get the ERROR: "The folder you entered does not appear to be valid. Please choose another." It is just a simple \\server\share path and now all of a sudden, after I added a new hard drive, I cant access my new shared folder from the local PC's. It asks me for the Username and Password after I entered the path \\server\share and then after I type it in it gives the ERROR.
    Tuesday, May 12, 2020 12:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    Before going further, I would appreciate your help in clarifying the following situations:
    *Could you access your new shared folder directly from Windows Server 2012 R2 by entering the path \\server\share?
    *Could you access Windows Server 2012 R2 by entering path \\server from your local PC?
    *Could you access your new shared folder by entering its IP address instead of entering the path \\server\share?
    You could try the above steps and reply us with the results you get.
    Also, you can go to EventViewer >> Applications and services logs >> Microsoft >> Windows >> SMBClient to see whether there’s any error message under SMBClient logs. 

You can also upload the screenshot or detailed information of it for us to make further analysis.
    Hope this can help you.

Best regards,

Phoebe Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Tuesday, May 12, 2020 9:07 AM
  • Hi,
    Just want to confirm the current situations. Was your issue resolved?
    If the information provided is helpful, please mark my previous replies as answered.
    Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.
    Best regards, 
    Phoebe Wu

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Thursday, May 14, 2020 1:53 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we proposed it as ‘Answered’. If the information provided is helpful, please mark it as answered.
    If you need further help, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up.
    We’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Best regards,

Phoebe Wu

Monday, May 18, 2020 1:51 AM