none
Internet Explorer 9 - problems after installation

Question

• I installed IE9 via Windows Update as I am using Windows 7 OS. IE9 downloaded and installed to completion, however after restarting the computer to finish the installation Windows Explorer would crash whenever IE9 was opened. IE9 could not be used, also Windows Explorer would crash whenever something like the Control Panel was touched. The only way to rectify the problem was to reverse the update by doing a System Restore.

Has anyone heard of a similar problem, as this has happened on both my desktop and my laptop, both of which are using Windows 7 service pack 1. Can anyone suggest how I might be able to install IE9 so that these problems do not occur.

Thanking you, AJK

Sunday, April 17, 2011 6:58 AM

Answers

• Hi AJK,

How about restart and enter into the Safe Mode with networking? Does it work here?

I'm running Windows 7 service pack 1 and Internet Explorer 9, I didn't encounter this issue.

If the Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer 9 are working under Safe Mode with networking. I recommend you do a Clean Boot since I suspect some third-party application may have some conflicts.

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 2:23 AM

All replies

• I also installed IE 9 via Windows Update on Win 7 (mine is a 64 bit system) and it kept freezing or locking up on me and I had to continuously reboot.  Do you have a 64-bit system?  If so, then that is more than likely the problem. IE 9 will not work properly on a 64-bit system, only a 32 bit system. If you know how to do it, there is a way to install IE 9 as a 32 bit on a 64-bit system.   I haven't found out how to do it yet (if anyone out there knows how, the information would be appreciated).  Anyway  I uninstalled IE 9 which automatically returns to your previous IE version. (I used IE 8 which works fine for me on Win7 ).  If you want to reinstall your previous version this is how to do it:

The following instructions apply both to Windows 7 and Windows Vista.

1. Click the Start button, type Programs and Features in the search box, and then click View installed updates in the left pane. (or you can go to control panel and access it from there)

2. Under Uninstall an update, scroll down to the Microsoft Windows section.

3. Right-click Windows Internet Explorer 9, click Uninstall, and then, when prompted, click Yes.

4. Click one of the following:

o Restart now (to finish the process of uninstalling IE 9, and restore the previous version of IE).

o Restart later (to wait until you shut down or restart your computer.

I hope this "shed some light" on your problem.

Thanks, LJB

Sunday, April 17, 2011 7:46 PM
  • Hi AJK,

How about restart and enter into the Safe Mode with networking? Does it work here?

I'm running Windows 7 service pack 1 and Internet Explorer 9, I didn't encounter this issue.

If the Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer 9 are working under Safe Mode with networking. I recommend you do a Clean Boot since I suspect some third-party application may have some conflicts.

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 2:23 AM
  • hi ajk

yeah i had this same issue with my pc as well. welllllllllllll, the only option i c is, to reinstall the windows.

coz that crashing of windows explorer is a real pain in A**.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 4:24 PM
  • I have had the same problems (Win 7 32-bit SP2). IE9 hangs and continually displays the 'Internet Explorer has stopped working' error. Had to do a system restore. There are no other problems with my PC. Usually use Firefox anyway but just attempted to update IE9 as it was in the queue.

Reinstalling Windows is not an option!

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 9:08 AM
  • I also had this problem (Win 7 32bit, SP1) and other problems as well.  Blank printouts of web content, script errors on websites that previously were not a problem, blank postings in other forums (lenovo).  My solution was to unistall IE 9 and let it roll back to IE 8.  All issues dissapeared.
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 11:54 AM
  • Hi gibtech1970 and others.

What you're describing is usually caused by either a bad add-on, an incorrect setting or a graphics processor/driver that aren't quite ready for Interent Explorer 9. In the vast majority of cases all these can be addressed. Please take a look at the following answers forum post and let us know how you get on.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie9-windows_7/internet-explorer-9-window-crashes-on-start-up/250b1a55-72ee-4a47-93c8-21ad160e0e77 

Regards

Mark

Mark Feetham Senior Program Manager Internet Explorer Product Quality
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 10:14 PM
    Owner
  • IE9 still has a problem with several websites as well as freezing. I, as well as everyone else I know, simply uninstalled IE9 and reverted back to IE8. I suggest that Microsoft find, duplicate, and resolve these problems with fixes as soon as possible, because Windows Update continues to force IE9 to be installed with other updates.
    Monday, May 23, 2011 5:54 PM
  • Hello Miya,

I too am having trouble with IE9. <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-536870145 1107305727 0 0 415 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-520092929 1073786111 9 0 415 0;} @font-face {font-family:"Segoe UI"; panose-1:2 11 5 2 4 2 4 2 2 3; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-520084737 -1073683329 41 0 479 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} h1 {mso-style-priority:9; mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-link:"Heading 1 Char"; mso-margin-top-alt:auto; margin-right:0in; mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto; margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; mso-outline-level:1; font-size:24.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} span.Heading1Char {mso-style-name:"Heading 1 Char"; mso-style-priority:9; mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-locked:yes; mso-style-link:"Heading 1"; mso-ansi-font-size:24.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:24.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-hansi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-font-kerning:18.0pt; font-weight:bold;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:10.0pt; line-height:115%;} @page WordSection1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} --> About a month ago I upgraded from Vista to Win7 on my x64 Dell 435mt with Norton Anti-virus and was successfully using IE8 as I have for so many previous versions over the years. About a week ago I saw a pop-up for IE9 and vaguely recall agreeing to install Ie9. Since then I have found:

- IE9 hangs every 15 seconds. I hit the refresh button and it usually comes back but I often get a web site like Yahoo, Google, Bing, Microsoft as not responding which is not a credible claim on the part of the error message writer..

- I tried to revert back to IE8 but Microsoft download choice for IE8 states IE8 is not supported on my machine. It was working quite well before I made my dreadfully fateful choice.

- I disabled all add-ons with no improvement

- I saw a reference to KB2454826 as a needed patch which I tried and the download process reported that fix was not appropriate for my system. Every night I scan through for any fix and so far found this thread as the most recent. Tonight I found a posting about how 'hang-resistant' IE9 is and I am quite irked. At least let me return to IE8 rather than leave me having to refresh a page every 15 seconds, really 15 seconds.

- I could not even get IE9 to not hang long enough to handle this reply, I am using another browser.

Please help,

Alan

Thursday, May 26, 2011 5:17 AM
  • Hi Alan,

Please start a new thread for this issue. You will get more help.

Also tell us the version of your system and some error message you got or related logs in your Event Viewer.

Regards,

Miya

Thursday, May 26, 2011 6:28 AM
  • After reading the responses to the freeze and the reboot issues with IE9, I have been  on the phone etc. with microsoft and ......Miya Yoa's response is animatted and by the blue notebook in front of her. She responded to one post asking for  the error message when if she would have read the post, 3/4's of it was the error message. I have been using mozilla and changed my updates to "let me decide what and when to download" and have finally minimized my errors with windows......period. I recommend using firefox until the Gatees clan at microsoft decides that software development is not as much,  a race as it is a market for reliability. Until then there are some VERY GOOD browsers out there. It took me a few years to decide Microsoft was just another company not holy entity.  Good luck folks.
    Sunday, July 24, 2011 9:49 PM
  • Hey Miya,  can you read english, If so re-read his post...all the info is there that you asked for !
    Sunday, July 24, 2011 9:51 PM
  • I have windows 7 . I loaded explorer 9 and I am having the same problems you had. I restored my computor but am still having the same problems. any suggestions.
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 1:00 AM
  • If you are running Win7 64 bit version, you can run IE9 64 bit version.  The 64 bit version is packaged together with the 32 bit version when you update IE9 from Microsoft.  The 64 bit version of IE9 is labeled as such on the Start menu.  I was having similar problems with IE9 freezing up so I started using the 64 bit version with no problems.
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 11:32 PM
  • I am running Win 7 32bit and installed IE9 back in April.  Ever since I have had the same issues - it stops responding, it crashes, it offers to restart, it stops other programs loading etc etc.  The nuclear solution worked - uninstall and revert to IE8.
    Monday, September 19, 2011 3:47 PM
  • I am having a problem with my keyboard after installing internet explorer 9. When i hit spacebar, it opens up restore window. When I hit backspace the calculator pops up. what can I do to fix this?
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 12:56 AM