none
Advantage & Drawbacks of Removing IE RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Can someone tell me if Dism is used to remove IE from the Server then are all the binaries being removed or they have yet to be serviced & will be staged?

There is a need to remove IE and would want to understand if there are drawbacks of it. To be precise these servers are not using internet Explorer at all.

Regards,

JC

Wednesday, January 14, 2015 12:55 PM

Answers

• Hi James,

If you mean the following command:

dism /online /disable-feature /featurename:Internet-Explorer-Optional-amd64

The above command is used to disable Internet Explorer on Windows Server. Internet Explorer is a Windows feature, you can't uninstall it, but you can turn it off.

More information about DISM command, please check:

Enable or Disable Windows Features Using DISM

If a Windows Feature is not considered to use, you could disable it. It should have no Drawbacks.

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, January 15, 2015 6:38 AM
  • Hi James,

You would probably still need to install the update of Internet Explorer. As I shared above, Internet Explorer is considered as a feature of the Windows operating system, or a part of it.

And some of the other browsers would be configured to use the IE shell, so the security update is considered important for Windows to keep safe.

For the drawbacks, as you decided not to use Internet Explorer, it should have no other effects.

Best regards

Michael Shao

Friday, January 16, 2015 6:17 AM

All replies

• Hi James,

If you mean the following command:

dism /online /disable-feature /featurename:Internet-Explorer-Optional-amd64

The above command is used to disable Internet Explorer on Windows Server. Internet Explorer is a Windows feature, you can't uninstall it, but you can turn it off.

More information about DISM command, please check:

Enable or Disable Windows Features Using DISM

If a Windows Feature is not considered to use, you could disable it. It should have no Drawbacks.

Best regards

Michael Shao

Thursday, January 15, 2015 6:38 AM
  • My bad Yes disabling the IE. The question here is if the feature is disabled will the OS still needs to be serviced with the latest IE patches ?? or will it crop up when WSUS scan's are run.

Are there any drawbacks of disabling IE ?

Thursday, January 15, 2015 9:08 AM
  • Hi James,

You would probably still need to install the update of Internet Explorer. As I shared above, Internet Explorer is considered as a feature of the Windows operating system, or a part of it.

And some of the other browsers would be configured to use the IE shell, so the security update is considered important for Windows to keep safe.

For the drawbacks, as you decided not to use Internet Explorer, it should have no other effects.

Best regards

Michael Shao

Friday, January 16, 2015 6:17 AM