none
outlookanywhere authentication . RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

everything was working fine users can access their mail through outloook office ,for years after installing fortigate users cmplains that they can not receive mails through outlook office although it is connected ,when connecting the users who are complaining with intenet through mobile data  they receive al their mails ,so I figured out that there is a problem in the internal network block the update and I send that to the network admin and fortigate admin but they made nothing .so I  enforeced 

our our domain joined clients to use  to use"On fast networks connect using HTTP first, then connect using TCP/IP" so the user has to provide the user name and password each time he connects to outlook .and  everuthing was working fine .

but some users in specific vlan when providing their user name and password they can not access ,when these users access maill  through outlook profile  from other  vlan ,they can access mail when providing their user name and password ,

it seems that security admins are playing around and I can not prove it .

so can microsoft network monitor prove that authentication is blocked from security admins 

I also read https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Exchange-Team-Blog/How-does-Outlook-Anywhere-work-and-not-work/ba-p/586046

how can I prove that,how authentication is working when enabling "On fast networks connect using HTTP first, then connect using TCP/IP" so the user has to provide the user name and password each time he connects to outlook .and  everuthing was working fine 

Friday, November 22, 2019 8:08 AM

Answers

• Hi om zeyad,

You mentioned that users cmplains that they can not receive mails through outlook office although it is connected,

Have you checked message tracking log to ensure messages reach the server?

I searched the following case about the fast networks connection

Configure Outlook to automatically check On fast network use HTTP instead of TCP/IP

Outlook Anywhere option Description

On a fast network, connect using HTTP first, then connect using TCP/IP.

By default on a fast network, Outlook attempts to connect by using the LAN connection first. This option is cleared by default.

On a slow network, connect using HTTP first, then connect using TCP/IP.

By default, on a slow network, Outlook attempts to connect by using HTTP first. This option is set by default.

Password Authentication (NTLM).

The default authentication method. We recommend that you specify this optiontogether with Connect with SSL only and Mutually authenticate the session when connecting with SSL.

Basic Password Authentication.

With this option, users are prompted for a password each time a connection is made to the Exchange server. In addition, if users are not using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL), the password is sent in clear text. This can pose a security risk.

To set the “ On fast networks, connect using HTTP first then Connect using TCP/IP “ you simply run the following powershell command;

Set-OutlookProvider EXPR -OutlookProviderFlags:ServerExclusiveConnect

Exchange, Autodiscover and Exchange Proxy Settings

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,

Joyce Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 9:48 AM

All replies

• Hi

Can you run a trace on the firewall to see if anything is currently blocked? maybe ports or autodiscover etc.?

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, November 22, 2019 9:15 AM
    Owner
  • Hi om zeyad,

You mentioned that users cmplains that they can not receive mails through outlook office although it is connected,

Have you checked message tracking log to ensure messages reach the server?

I searched the following case about the fast networks connection

Configure Outlook to automatically check On fast network use HTTP instead of TCP/IP

Outlook Anywhere option Description

On a fast network, connect using HTTP first, then connect using TCP/IP.

By default on a fast network, Outlook attempts to connect by using the LAN connection first. This option is cleared by default.

On a slow network, connect using HTTP first, then connect using TCP/IP.

By default, on a slow network, Outlook attempts to connect by using HTTP first. This option is set by default.

Password Authentication (NTLM).

The default authentication method. We recommend that you specify this optiontogether with Connect with SSL only and Mutually authenticate the session when connecting with SSL.

Basic Password Authentication.

With this option, users are prompted for a password each time a connection is made to the Exchange server. In addition, if users are not using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL), the password is sent in clear text. This can pose a security risk.

To set the “ On fast networks, connect using HTTP first then Connect using TCP/IP “ you simply run the following powershell command;

Set-OutlookProvider EXPR -OutlookProviderFlags:ServerExclusiveConnect

Exchange, Autodiscover and Exchange Proxy Settings

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,

Joyce Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 9:48 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update about your issue?

Regards,

Joyce Shen

Monday, December 2, 2019 1:24 AM