none
ExchangeOnlineManagementModule asking for Basic Authentication RRS feed

• Question

• Was trying to get around using Basic Authentication to connect with Exchange Online powershell.

So I installed the ExchangeOnlineManagement module.

After importing the module, I then tried the simple Connect-ExchangeOnline command (supplying credentials with the -Credential switch).

This yielded the error message below which puzzles me because I didn't think the above module uses Basic Authentication???

I'm really confused now!

New-ExoPSSession : Connecting to remote server outlook.office365.com failed with the following error message : The
    WinRM client cannot process the request. Basic authentication is currently disabled in the client configuration.
    Change the client configuration and try the request again. For more information, see the about_Remote_Troubleshooting
    Help topic.
    At C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\ExchangeOnlineManagement\0.3555.1\ExchangeOnlineManagement.psm1:393
    char:30
    + ... PSSession = New-ExoPSSession -ExchangeEnvironmentName $ExchangeEnviro ...
    +                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : ResourceUnavailable: (:) [New-ExoPSSession], PSRemotingTransportException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.Management.Automation.Remoting.PSRemotingDataStructureException,Microsoft.Exchang
       e.Management.ExoPowershellSnapin.NewExoPSSession

Tuesday, January 28, 2020 6:51 PM

Answers

• Hi JohnnyYYG,

Basic authentication is always used. It is not possible to use Remote Exchange-Online without Basic Auth. Even when connecting with MFA, it uses the same basic auth endpoint. 

So PowerShell needs to be able to connect via the basic auth endpoint.

Regards,

Beverly Gao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 29, 2020 8:18 AM

All replies