Duration decimals RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

How do I avoid decimals in the duration field. In my duration field i have 11,95 mons. I want it to be 12 mons. Is that possible?

When i go to: file - options - display - decimal digits and press 0 it won't work..  

Thursday, July 14, 2011 7:02 AM

Answers

• blirup1986 --

No, you CANNOT remove the decimals.  This is because Microsoft Project 2010 tracks every Duration and Work value at the 1-minute level.  I learned to live with the decimals many years ago.  If you absolutely cannot live with the decimals for some strange reason, you could also use a custom enterprise Duration field with a formula and then round off the number.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

• Proposed as answer by Ben Wiegers Thursday, July 14, 2011 12:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Glen Friday, December 23, 2011 10:21 PM
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 10:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Which is the Project verison 2007 or 2010 ? Roll ups of Duration is a calculated field, so anything leading to deicmal is basically any sub tasks having decimal value due to assignments/calendar/leveling etc.

Sapna S
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 7:22 AM
  • It is the 2010 version. I know it is a calculated field but i still want to remove the decimals if it is possible? You are easily able to remove decimals even though it is a calculated field in excel. But is it possible in the duration column in project 2010?
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 9:29 AM
  • blirup1986 --

No, you CANNOT remove the decimals.  This is because Microsoft Project 2010 tracks every Duration and Work value at the 1-minute level.  I learned to live with the decimals many years ago.  If you absolutely cannot live with the decimals for some strange reason, you could also use a custom enterprise Duration field with a formula and then round off the number.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

• Proposed as answer by Ben Wiegers Thursday, July 14, 2011 12:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Glen Friday, December 23, 2011 10:21 PM
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 10:19 AM
  • Adding to Dale's Perfect suggestion, decimal comes the duration of the activity is not in whole units of day, so by changing the Format of Duration to something like "28 January 2002 12:33" you can check which tasks are causing this decimal thing and adjust them accordingly.

But this is too manual and could be avoided, decimals doesn't cause any issues in your scheduling. Else as Dale suggested use a formuals based Custom Field to round off.

Sapna S
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 10:23 AM
  • Thank you for your answers Dale and Sapna!

The decimals is not a major problem but I just wanted to know if it is possible to remove them. It is not possible and this is ok.  

Thursday, July 14, 2011 11:07 AM
  • How can I round off a duration field?
    Sunday, September 9, 2012 8:33 PM
  • Thg747,

Sorry you can't do that directly in the Duration field. The best you can do is to either set up your tasks such that they yield only whole numbers for duration, (not very practical), or create a custom field with a formula that rounds the value, such as the following:

Text1=Cint([Duratoin]/480)

Note: this formula assumes a standard default 8 hour day

John

• Proposed as answer by Ismet Kocaman Sunday, September 9, 2012 10:54 PM
    Sunday, September 9, 2012 9:17 PM
  • Hello John,

I am interested in using the rounding formula, but I have a 24/7 working hours calendar. Could you please post a formula for the 24/7 set up?

Greatly appreciate it.

ACP

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 7:41 PM
  • Hi,

Replace 480 by [Minutes Per Day]

Greetings

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 8:17 PM
  • 11ACP,

Didn't anybody notice that I can't spell? (duratoin?) Good editors are hard to come by :-)

I didn't explain the conversion factor in my formula and that's the critical part of setting up the formula for your 24 hour calendar. Since Project stores all time related data in minutes, regardless of how it's displayed in a view, a formula must convert those minutes into hours, days, or whatever. In your case it also depends on how you have defined a "day" in the options. For a 24 hour calendar I would assume a "day" should be defined as 24 hours instead of the default 8 hours. If you did that, then the the conversion factor is 60 x 24 = 1440 (i.e minutes in a 24 hour day).

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 8:18 PM
  • It did help!
    Thanks very much...
    Wednesday, September 12, 2012 12:28 AM
  • 11ACP,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 1:58 AM
  • Another, more likely reason is because you are using lead and lag, and SS and FF.  When all things are equal on the calendar side, if you use many constraints on the tasks, Project gets a little finicky about calculating the task durations.  Thus decimal durations.<o:p></o:p>

Project is an automation tool.  If you constrain it too much, you reduce the ability of the automation and should turn to an excel spreadsheet to manually document your project.<o:p></o:p>

If you have excess float, your logic is questionable and even more likely is you have not documented work that is occurring in that float.  Look to using milestones to control the flow,.  Stay away from constraining tasks by Lead, Lag, Start Start (ss), or Finish Finish (FF).  "Natural" scheduling is when predecessor finishes,  successor task starts this is  finish to start (FS) and is actually how Project would default to if you had no logic at all. Play around with project to get the right amount of milestones to control the critical path and you will not need the additional constraints but also make sure you document all of the work. 

• Proposed as answer by Rob Schneider Saturday, December 23, 2017 12:51 PM
    Friday, December 22, 2017 7:03 PM
  • In summary, you can apply a formula to round up the durations to whole days but is corrupts the summary task start and finish date. The parent activity line at the very top of your plan summarises from bottom-up so that date too will be incorrect. I learnt through experience. You are better of leaving all lines in your plan as auto-scheduled. 
    Tuesday, February 13, 2018 4:34 PM